Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "Detroit Today" on WDET « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 876
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a great new daily news show on WDET called "Detroit Today." The show airs Monday-Friday from 10am to Noon.

I have been tuning in for the last few months, and I am quite impressed with the show.

The main topic this morning was urban farming, and one of the guests was the head of Detroit's planning department. On Thursday, the show was broadcast live from the Cityfest in New Center, and one of the guests was our very own Forum father, Lowell.

Last Tuesday, the subject was Detroit retail, and the owners of Mezzanine and the Bureau of Urban Living were in the studio. State Senator Buzz Thomas was also on the show, discussing the proposed retail development at 8 mile and Woodward.

If you are a regular visitor to this forum, I would strongly recommend tuning into this show.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the best all-around program to hit the airwaves regarding Detroit and the region I've heard on the radio in many years. Every show I've heard so far has kept me glued to the radio.

It is surprising that this is the first mention of it on this forum yet! (correct me if I'm wrong). Seems like those who really care about Detroit issues should be tuning in when ever they can!

I agree and am glad you've mentioned it Erikd. This show has me tuned in to WDET more than I have been the last several years. Good job guys, can't wait to hear your permanent host, whoever he/she is.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard it a few times and it is well done, the time is a problem the job thing.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I have heard about it but I never end up bringin a radio into work.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can't catch the show during the live broadcast, you can listen or download at any time from the WDET website.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great suggestion, Erikd. I wish the show were on earlier. It's tough for many of us to listen from 10 to noon on weekdays.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wdetfm.org/

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listen to Detroit Today too. I connect on the computer at work. I'll be sure to listen to the On Demand episodes I missed the last couple of days...particularly the one featuring Lowell. :-)

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than WDET's old music programming? I say yes! By a mile.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show on urban farming last wed. or fri. was terrific.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that show was on Friday. You can get the podcast on the 'DET Web site.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will be naming a permanant host soon. Let's just hope it is not The Morning Mumbles Chick.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes- the show is good, but that is two hours, with over 5 hours of BBC on daily? Not exactly local. I still have not given them a dime since they dropped the music.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also love Detroit Today. My wish for WDET is still that they would get rid of Amy Miller in the morning. She has tried to "soften" her voice, but she still makes mistakes all the time and does not know how to pronounce anything in Detroit. My favorite screw up is something at Metro Airport called "Northwest Airlanes."

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be called Detroityes.com Today. Very unoriginal, begging for approval on the air, and constantly asking guests for forgiveness. Amateur hour. It's not very interesting and doesn't seem to have much vision beyond what it reads on this Web site and in the two dailies.
And stop posting messages on here, WDET people, posing as anonymous posters trying to drum up listenership. We know it's you and it reeks of desperation. Have you actually read some of their daily write-ups on the web site promoting what's coming up? My goodness, there are some illiterate folks writing that stuff - filled with typos, incorrect spellings and mistakes native Detroiters wouldn't make with names, etc.

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm sure erikd joined the forum 3 1/2 years ago and posted 836 times just so he could make a plug for something he/she was going to be doing in 2007. Brilliant, I say.

And which disgruntled former 'DET-er are you Monsieur Lafayette?

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, 876 times. Maybe I'm one of those illiterate types that makes all the typos on the WDET web site?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I havn't listened in to DET since...well you know from when. When the music comes, I will follow.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3968
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have greatly enjoyed the show since it first came on and listen to it most days; it is a pleasant segue from NPR Morning. I think they are doing an excellent job of bringing depth to local issues. I was pleased and honored to help out with an interview last week. I have been an ardent supporter of Public Radio with my support dating back to the first fund raiser in the seventies and including a day sponsorship last year dedicated to this forum for all it has taught me, like WDET has, about Detroit.

For all its criticisms, WDET is still the best thing on the dial in the D and the airwaves would be, other than a couple of Canadian stations, a true tower of commercial babble without it. I urge all to support it with donations and save the fury for all those stations that swamp us with ads and silliness.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9545
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very enthused about this show, 'almost' enough to apply for the job.

The BBC call-in show should be on one of their adjunct HD channels, with a 'best of' show on the main channel...distilled down so you don't have to endure horrible phone connections, worse English, and age-old arguments in order to stumble upon that one nugget of beauty.

I like that they also condense the weekly 'Detroit Today' for weekend listeners...while I think they've had a few stumbles, I wouldn't nail them with any judgement of unprofesssionalism...they are learning. Lotsa new faces around the station, and this is a whole new concept for them.

Kudos to WDET for this one TINY aspect of the changes...I'm still jonesing for local music...something this show should highlight as they did with that CityFest band during this show.

I still listen to WDET, just not nearly as often as I used to...and when they piss me off I notice I don't mind, because I also stopped the money flow with that last butcher attack. Plus, if it weren't for station engineer Malloy Farley's wife calling in her pledge four years ago, and me lucky enough to answer the call...I might've not ever learned about DetroitYES.

Cheers.

More local music, WDET. Please, less BBC drivel talk. ONE run per week of the car guys, too, their schtick is getting a wee bit tiring. Nyuck-nyuck. ('don't drive like my brother'...oh, brother what a bother!)

Get that HD radio programming on-line...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.