Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What are my options for workout facilities in CBD Midtown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 417
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Girlfriend and I are looking into gyms and are looking at what our options are in the area. Any suggestions?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Curves for your girlfriend inside the Albert Kahn Building in the New Center Area. WSU may have something as well. There's the Powerhouse Gym on Jefferson, the YMCA Downtown, 2 FitnessWorks in the New Center Area (go figure),

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boll Family YMCA on Broadway.
Renaisannce Center YMCA
Fitnessworks in New Center
Wayne States Facilities (if you know a student, faculty, staff person to support you)
Yoga in Buhl Building
New Yoga place on Gration in Eastern Market

Jfried

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Powerhouse on Jefferson has been out of business for a while. The closest one is on Woodward in Highland Park

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 535
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, if you have not yet seen the Boll Family YMCA on Broadway, I'd suggest that you and your girlfriend stop in to see all that it has to offer.

There are two pools, a large, dividable gym, a rock climbing wall, and, what appears to me to be, state of the art exercise machines. There is also a free weight room. The track encircles the upper level of the gym and has panoramic views of downtown on three sides.

There's lots of metered street parking and the Opera House Garage is right across the street.

The monthly dues may be relatively expensive; but I feel that I'm getting what I am paying for. To me, one of the YMCA's best features is the cordiality of the staff and the support they have provided to me.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the YMCA. I personally work out at the North Oakland Branch and love the place... its always clean and the staff is great. I worked out a few times at the Boll Family Y last year while I still worked downtown and think that its just as good (if not better) than the North Oakland Branch. I absolutely loved the running track and the view if offers.

If I were still working downtown now, I would definitely get a membership to the Boll Family YMCA (paying for parking would be the only drawback).

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 437
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The SMART bus racks.

It's nice to bike to a bus and then travel to some really nice biking areas in area parks. These racks are on all their buses and are one of many reason to support SMART and mass transit.

See my new web site under Detroit Links on this forum.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you can use the WSU facilities as a non-student you just pay more than a student would. Unless Jfried was referring to the fact that you may need a WSU representative to sign you up?

Jfried

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adamjab - here's the link to the WSU Rec site http://www.rfc.wayne.edu/membe rship.php The policy used to be that anyone could join if sponsored by a current student, faculty, or staff member. That seems to have changed.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions. I have decided to get a membership at the boll family Y. Reasons being: Fitness works is cheaper for 1 person but more expensive for 2, plus it is further away and not as convenient of hours. The rencen Y does not have the facilities or as good of hours. So I went and swam yesterday an it seems like it is run quite well. So far I am pleased with my decision. I want to utilize smart a bit more as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.