Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Detroit HeatWave « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Are You Doing To Beat The Heat? Have You treated the family with a trip to a Water Park or the Beach? Are you staying inside and setting the A/C on High while on DY? Are you visiting some of the local cooling centers? I have to unfortunately make some runs both today and tomorrow. Luckily, some of the runs are grocery shopping and the other is Clothes Shopping. Today and tomorrow, there will be highs in the Mid 90s with heat indices in the Upper 90s approaching 100*F. So far, not heat advisory yet, but one is very possible tomorrow with increased dew point temps.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Piffle. It reached 116 this week and it didn't bother me a bit. Even painted the birdbath in the back yard during the day. Humidity 2%.

Candy asses.:-)

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray. I actually agree though. Air conditioning is another example of 'Candy Asses' who can't think further then their own selfish needs. If you want to be cool in the summer then drill a hole into the earth and suck out the stable temperatures there. Quit using fossil fuels to serve your needs.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but you deal with it daily 365. We only have it for 2 or 3 days once or twice per year. Plus, we have the humidity, which makes the heat feel worse.

Don't call us Candy Asses because you moved to the desert (lol).

Urbanize

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm Jb3, I didn't know there was Stable air inside the Earth, just Hellish air. If anything, the surface of the Earth has the coolest, stable temperatures of teh whole planet. You go do that though. I just use my Air Conditioner. We'll have to die eventually Mr. Cullen(lol).

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

candy ass

(no A/C here)

and I'm sure the Air Show at Willow Run today will be well attended

Jb3

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHA! thanks Urbanize. correction - stable temperatures used to moderate air temperatures.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see if you guys we'll use the heat when it turns -10*F this Winter.

Candy Asses (LMAO!).

Jb3

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, theres alternatives for that as well (some exactly the same as i've mentioned it's not call geothermal HEATING and cooling for nothing):-). We'll keep you posted back in the 20th century there. The rest of us in the 21st will make sure we wave (and chuckle at your folly).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A/C here, although if it were up to me alone I'd prefer a fan and a wet washcloth.

This is chilly compared to Phoenix.

If you can stand the smell, isopropyl alcohol in a Windex spray bottle will cool you off real fast. Best not to use it near open flames though. :-)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, everyone crowd around the Steam Sewer Downtown. I can already bet you're just talking smack, knowing very well you have that heat on 70*F and high in the car, while receiving $400 gas bills from our friend DTE.

Jb3

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll admit that i exist within the world. Doesn't mean i have to like my choices decided for me when i know that there are much more conscienable alternatives. If we all stuck our heads in the sand and simply ate our porridge, what kinda world would this be?

BTW. Steam is not the same as passive heating and cooling.

Consumers does gas not DTE.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5339
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Consumers does gas not DTE

So why do I pay DTE for my gas bill?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on where you live.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4764
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jb3, in case you didn't know it, DTE Energy bought MichCon a few years back.

So for residents of Detroit, DTE does both electric and gas, while most suburban folks DTE does electric, and Consumers does gas.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read about every book on old Las Vegas that I could get my hands on, and find that in the pre-a/c days, the Vegans of old would wrap themselves in damp sheets at night to sleep, letting the evaporation process keep them cool. Doesn't seem like a very pleasant option to me, but numerous sources state it to be true.

There are folks out here (mostly in older homes) who use swamp coolers instead of a/c. Same evaporative process to cool the air. I guess I'll have to admit to being a candy ass myself as I kick down the a/c a notch........

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 696
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh's Ice cream at CVS is buy one, get one free. Love the Moose Tracks!

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can call me a candy ass or an ozone deteriorating jerk but when you live is a 600 sq. ft. studio with two windows that face south, your home essentially becomes an oven without the a/c.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melting in Indianapolis

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5342
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Six months from now, we'll be bitching about how cold it is.

Personally, I have enjoyed watching the females of our species dressing down these past few days.

Not a sexist, just appreciate the female form.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jb3, in case you didn't know it, DTE Energy bought MichCon a few years back."

Actually, Detroit Edison and MichCon Merged to create DTE Energy. One civil resource can't buyout the other.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live in and upstairs half of a duplex you know i got the ac on full blast... bring on the fall

Jb3

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"You can call me a candy ass or an ozone deteriorating jerk but when you live is a 600 sq. ft. studio with two windows that face south, your home essentially becomes an oven without the a/c."

It's fun to call you a Candy Ass :-). I don't blame you, i blame the choices available to you.

Cheers!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ok, Jb3 will drill us some more "comfortable air" from out of the Mantle of the Earth

Jb3

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Baby!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Candy Ass and 2 Million other Candy Asses in Metro Detroit will have our A/C on blast as an Heat Advisory is in effect from Noon to 8 PM.

Club_boss

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every window is shut and locked; there are a minimal amount of lights on in the house.

Every blind is closed, every curtain drawn; the ceiling fans are spinning, and the A/C is on 73.

All electric here, last month the electric bill was $150.00, it should hit $200.00 this month, reminds me of winter.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god for Global Warming!!!.... I got back yesterday from my vacation.... I think everyone should think about energy conservation... I have changed my bulbs to those energy saving ones. But damn with this heat and all it's hard to try and do what I just stated.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 929
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im on vacation right now in phoenix and its been well into the hundreds all week it is death heat but no where near what i thought it would feel like. Im glad that its hot in detroit as well not I dont feel bad about visiting a desert in early july. BTW Sedona is great.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sedona is awesome i love the misters along the walkways in downtown

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove from Detroit back to Chicago on Sunday in 96 degree heat, full sunshine, a black car, black interior, and no air conditioning.

I returned home to my second floor apartment with a full western exposure, no air conditioning, and it was 103 degrees INSIDE.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray1936, what would they do if they had to pay our $250 power bills here in Vegas?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have any suggestions how to control heat in the upstairs of a bungalow? I do have air, I have one floor vent and it blows alright. Of course heat rises, so that heats up the upstairs. Also, since the roof is right there above the ceiling, that heats it up a ton. The air gets very hot and dry. Even at night, if I run the air a while to cool it down, it will warm back up again a couple hours later after turning the air off to go to sleep. I am thinking maybe a large exhaust fan, or possibly a fan that just blasts the cool air from the basement straight up to the second floor, or both. Anyone solve this puzzle before?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What Are You Doing To Beat The Heat?"

Have you tried dropping 40 pounds?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just leave the air on. That's what I do in my Upstairs room.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Have you tried dropping 40 pounds?"

Yeah, then I'll be blowing away in the wind in October and Freezing to Death in February.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Urban... I may have to when it's too hot. I was hoping I could at least keep the temperature reasonable through the night by figuring out some thermodynamic something or other by installing well placed fans and ventilation. I hate running my central air all night just to keep the upstairs cool. I do close all other vents downstairs before bed, but I doubt that saves me much $$.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did just read that it would probably help if I installed a return air duct on the ceiling of my upstairs (since the hot air rises), installed an inline duct fan in it, and blew it down into the basement to recirculate. Anybody have this set up?

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its hot,dang hot

the good rev

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So for residents of Detroit, DTE does both electric and gas, while most suburban folks DTE does electric, and Consumers does gas."

Actually, I believe it's everyone south of 8 Mile period. We paid our gas bill through DTE when I lived in Ann Arbor.

Club_boss

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received one bill when I lived in Detroit, 48217

Urbanize

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Actually, I believe it's everyone south of 8 Mile period. We paid our gas bill through DTE when I lived in Ann Arbor."

It likely depends on your proximenty to what power plants. People along the Eastside and Detroit Southward are powered by the 2 Nuclear FURMI Plants owned by "I believe" Edison. The people in Oakland and Livingston Counties probably get their power from some other plant.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 10, 2007)

Dds

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, before you edit it wrong again, it's spelled Fermi. No capitals.

When I lived in Ann Arbor in the 90's Consumers was the electric company and then DTE took over. Michcon was gas. (edit: and was soon to become DTE also)

(Message edited by dds on July 10, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It likely depends on your proximenty to what power plants. People along the Eastside and Detroit Southward are powered by the 2 Nuclear FURMI Plants owned by "I believe" Edison. The people in Oakland and Livingston Counties probably get their power from some other plant. "

So in other words... People south of 8 Mile pay DTE and people north of 8 Mile pay Consumers?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb, St. Clair, Lapeer and Sanilac are North of 8 Mile.

Dds

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a simple search produces this

Urbanize

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something is incorrect. Although NE Detroit is higlighted in Comsumer's Gas, My bill comes from DTE.

Dds

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another simple search

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...The Water and Sewerage Department pumped in excess of 1 Billion Gallons(1.041) of water yesterday. This was the second Billion gallon day of the season. Expect the same today.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's tponetom to tell us about pre-air conditioning life during the heatwaves of the 30's?

Club_boss

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My x-wife's parents always had these tales about the heat wave of 1936, the year they got married.

Hard for me to imagine life without A/C

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People kept "summer kitchens" in their basements.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People slept on their porches too.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is all the water usage from pools or drinking or hydrants or ?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Humidity 2%.Candy asses."

2%????????

Jeezuz pal, whos the candyass ? Let me know when it gets up around 85% humidity and we'll talk.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"People slept on their porches too."

Hey, I did. Most summer mornings you could find me on the front porch of 13960 Steel wrapped up in a light blanket on the porch swing. Upstairs bedroom was just too darn hot, even with a fan. Besides, I loved the sounds of the crickets at night. Talk about a sleeping pill!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jeezuz pal, whos the candyass ? Let me know when it gets up around 85% humidity and we'll talk."

Don't forget Dewpoints in the Mid to Upper 60s.

I swear, if some type of thunderstorms or severe weather doesn't occur tonight, I will go crazy!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 860
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My next door neighbor just uncovered a small "sleeping porch" on her second floor that had been wrapped in aluminum siding. I'm jealous because there is no way anyone living in Detroit now could sleep on a first floor porch.

Well not usually. When the power went out in August a few years ago, the menfolk on my street slept outside on their porches and kept watch. Classy of them, i thought.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit, the suburban communities use a lot of the water. In Detroit, there are not that many hydrants being reported as last year, but there are some being opened daily. I had to report a kid the other day for opening a hydrant in my neighborhood.

There is a great demand for water especially when it is hot like this.

In the past, when we had trees, the neighborhoods were cooler and the demand for water was lower. Those big Elm Trees really did the trick back in the day.

Club_boss

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Air Conditioning:

"The National Association of Home Builders said 89 percent of single-family homes built last year included central air conditioning. That compares with 81 percent in 1996 and just 69 percent in 1986.

Some of that increase can be attributed to the fact that more are homes being built in hotter parts of the country. But the National Association of Home Builders, said builders are seeing more demand in regions where many people have traditionally just sweated out a hot spell.

In the Northeast, for example, 76 percent of homes completed last year had central air conditioning, vs. 64 percent in 1996 and 43 percent in 1986.

In 1976, just 13 percent of homes built in the Northeast came with central air.

A 2004 survey by the National Association of Realtors found that the No. 1 most desired feature in a home was central air conditioning."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19 684229/

(Message edited by club boss on July 10, 2007)

Jb3

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Tponetom hasn't enlightened us yet as to the trick of staying cool in the summer (other than just suckin it up)...my great grandparents house was designed with most of the windows facing north and east. The windows that it did have on the south were placed strategically for cross-ventilation and under a wide overhang to reduce heat gain (it's shady under a wide overhang) The best trick that i've ever learned though is to get up at about 4:30 in the morning and open every window in the house. At about 5:30, close them all for the day, or until about 7:00ish.

It helps to have a large attic with ample circulation, since most of us have black shingles (which i never understood) the heat is absorbed mostly into the roof, as opposed to light colored shingles that are reflective.

I know this doesn't help most of you with houses built after 1945, but to quote an earlier poster:
"Those big Elm Trees really did the trick"

So quit crying and go plant trees :-).

Jb3

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, this ones for you buddy.

http://www.reddawn.com/featart 11-98.html

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to the practices and design features that Jb3 mentions, my large 1917 era house had bay windows, to better capture the breezes. There also were heavy vines on the two most exposed sides which kept a great deal of the sun's rays from hitting the brick walls. I cut them back every fall to garner as much sun as I could for the winter months.

Broken_main also mentioned the elm trees. Turning off of sun-baked Hamilton, or any other big street, onto your residential street was akin to driving into a shady tunnel. Most houses in Detroit, and Highland Park, had two elm trees: one in front on the tree lawn and another in back.

One other feature that was used in better (pricier houses) neighborhoods was canvas awnings. They would be rolled down in the spring and rolled up in the fall. Newer metal awnings in no way can compare to canvas ones for style and sophistication, in my opinion. The University District was noted for the wonderful awnings on so many houses.

Jb3

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, this one's for you pal. Doesn't specifically answer your question, which in my opinion would seem to work, except it may cost you a lot more money each month as you are essentially kicking your furnace/AC into double time, i would imagine (unless i read what you wanted to do wrong). I'm not a mechanical engineer though, so i would give a shout to your local friendly mechanical contractor before attempting the system and get their opinion. Any time you add a duct run, you're placing a demand on your forced air, if it's not sized properly it becomes absolutley a money hog. I'm still looking for a good green roof site for ya.

http://www.epa.gov/hiri/strate gies/index.html

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9551
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my fantasy world, I could never sleep in my Porsche, damn seat never reclined far enough to get comfortable...what with that great 2+130 AC system though, it was always a cool ride. Yanno, two windows open and the Targa top off at one hundred thirty miles an hour.

Swamp cooling down at a friend's house in Tucson worked quite well every time I was down there...he's a lifer, and would not imagine getting AC. He calls THOSE folks candied tails! You don't want to know what he calls those who moved down there recently.

When we went out for drinks and eats, we took note of the places that misted their patios, and quickly eliminated those that didn't. Pretty women don't hang out where their glow gains water weight...so why would WE?!

A water misted patio felt twenty to thirty degrees cooler...I really wonder if they've calculated a function like wind-chill that helps estimate how severely the body feels the heat when given this encouraged evaporation.. Don't think "heat index" would work, this one is more about the evaporation from the water than the increase in apparent heat from the humidity.

Forgot all about water misting until I walked behind the 'Stirling' Park Stage at CityFest, where the po-po had setup their command center...they had an outdoor resting area for the officers and across the street a medical area that were both misted, and it seemed NOBODY else noticed that walking between them a few times REALLY took the edge off both Saturday and Sunday's killer heat.

When I was a wee lad, we had to tunnel home through the Elm trees on Appoline on the west side...Aviation Subdivision. I'd guess every one of the city workers, and later the National Guard during the uprising/riots in the late sixties, at some point ALL found time to take a rest on our most shady of streets.

It was a total blast for this punk, especially when GI Joe came to life at the end of the block.

(Message edited by Gannon on July 10, 2007)

Jb3

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hear! Hear!
Check to see if you have ample soffit vents and a ridge vent. BTW, if your roof is a mere rafter width away from your drywall ceiling, you might seriously want to consider a green roof, because you are sure as screwed and would have to rethink your whole mechanical system.

Jb3

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the??? where did Gannon's second mesasge run off to? My whole Hear!Hear! was in response to that....weird.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2586
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swamp coolers are popular in Phoenix but they don't help at all when the humidity gets too high. So people there are always watching the dew point to know when to switch over from swamp cooler to A/C. It's just more efficient than A/C alone.

Gannon

Post Number: 9553
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, you DON'T want to INCREASE the temperature of the air going into your AC system.

Exhaust that stuff through attic vent fans, move that stale hot air the direction it WANTS to go...and don't make the AC system work quadruple-time to cool air that is heated or superheated.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few that charge batteries during the sunshine with solar cells, then run at night quite quietly..when you want that air motion most. Haven't seen any that do the same through a ceiling, no reason why they couldn't design one.

I cannot see where this needs to be a closed-system loop, all efficiencies should increase if allowed to work within the basic trends of the laws of thermodynamics...right?!

Gannon

Post Number: 9554
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Jb, had to answer a call before posting that edited post...it was easier to delete the old one and re-do the whole thing.

Jb3

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew! thought i finally...well...irrevocably lost it there.

http://www.wonderquest.com/swa mp-coolers.htm

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 471
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Six months from now, we'll be bitching about how cold it is.

Personally, I have enjoyed watching the females of our species dressing down these past few days.

Not a sexist, just appreciate the female form.

I'm with you this one 110% jams

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: Johnlodge
Does anybody have any suggestions how to control heat in the upstairs of a bungalow? I do have air, I have one floor vent and it blows alright. Of course heat rises, so that heats up the upstairs. Also, since the roof is right there above the ceiling, that heats it up a ton. The air gets very hot and dry. Even at night, if I run the air a while to cool it down, it will warm back up again a couple hours later after turning the air off to go to sleep. I am thinking maybe a large exhaust fan, or possibly a fan that just blasts the cool air from the basement straight up to the second floor, or both. Anyone solve this puzzle before?

yes I have johnlodge first the vent in my house coming up from the basement thru the upstairs floor is 4"x12" vent but in the basement where it hooked up to the rest of the duct work it was connected by a 6" round duct well if you do the math you need 8" round duct to match the cubic inches of the 4"x12" so I replaced the 6" with 8" and got twice as much air flow .
then the other problem I had was in between the roof joists you can only put R19 insulation between them which isnt near enough so I tore out the drywall and put 1" foam board across the joists and studs HUGE difference doing those 2 things !!! much warmer in the winter and the other day when it was 96 and sunny that room with the door closed and window shut and air off only got up to 84 degrees by 8 pm .. the room is much more comfortable to be in all year around it was worth it

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.