Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » DTE Energy - fighting the monopoly? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I notice that my house voltage drops to as low as 96 volts whenever the heat outside goes above 85 (more or less depending on humidity)... and I report it to DTE and they stall until the heat dissipates and then says its fixed...

What recourse do I have against this monopoly?

I believe they added the electric for new condos down the street just by hanging them off the lines on our block (I only see one transformer for the whole block) and that this has caused it.

I've been reporting the low voltage for over a month and they just say "we're looking at it" and then "fix it" when the temp drops (and the voltage returns to 115).

We can't use A/C or even the washer/dryer during the day without popping fuses because of this. The last guys out disconnected our house and then verified it was not our house causing it, but then said it was "fixed" with a "spanner replacement."

It is not fixed.

Anyone had success fighting "the man" in this type of situation?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try calling the Michigan Public Service Commission, they regulate DTE

East_detroit

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent... thanks!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2565
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd pick up a generator in the mean time.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 713
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got a power outage from the storm this weekend. I cheered like a teenager when a truck roared down our street a couple hours later. DTE had us back up and running within 3 hours.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Got a power outage from the storm this weekend."

How did you get a power outage from a storm that hasn't even occurred yet?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you prefer being disconnected instead? Sheesh! The power grid cannot be compensated everywhere during brownout (heat wave) conditions!

This Wiki paragraph explains the usual scenario: rolling brownout

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you need a capacitor bank added to the neighborhood circuit. What are you using to determine the voltage? Is your air conditioning off while you have this low voltage? How did this condition reveal itself? Are you in Eastpointe or the east side of Detroit?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dte sucks

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the Thread LY. This happens everywhere, despite how many transformers there may be.

Besides, a company doesn't have to be Corrupt just because they don't see your ONE complaint as an issue. DTE works at power issues according to the amount of complaints about them and how large and issue is, not by one person.

If you want to talk about a Corrupt Monopoly, then let's speak AT&T or Comcast or Viacom.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

East_detroit

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I stated above, I've been reporting this for a month... not just because it got hot this weekend. Hardly a "rolling brownout." They admitted there was a problem in the last note left on my door and then closed the ticket.

They also said that they were working on it many times (and that it will be "fixed within an hour" or "fixed by 9:35" or whatever the standard comment was). So, they did see it as an issue.. and havent done anything about it. They even had me call the "Power Quality Department" last time (a week ago), where I left a message and never heard back.

I didnt say they were "corrupt." I did say that they are a monopoly and therefore I implied and state explicitly now that their customer service is not motivated to keep a customer as a company that competes would be. Nevertheless, 96 volts for most of a month is not acceptable.

I measured the voltage 2 ways (while everything was off except the refrigerator and UPS, including unplugging "warm" devices such as the TV). 1) my computer UPS reports it (and yes, I did turn off the computers) and 2) a multimeter in different circuits. When they came out, they disconnected the whole house and measured it, wrote a report that there is a problem and then closed the ticket. When I called back (800-477-4747), the representative acted like it was the first time I called (as all the others did) and suggested that I call the "Power Quality Department" in Mt Clemens on Monday. Deja vu. This is in SCS.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, to answer your other question... the condition revealed itself because a window a/c was laboring and blowing fuses. So, I left the fuse blown for a while, checked the UPS (on another circuit) and the multimeter (on multiple circuits) and got the readings.

Right now, as the night cools (and probably people on the block are using less a/c) the voltage is up from 96 to 103. Can't run my a/c though.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3365
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're probably experiencing an actual brownout. Many houses in Detroit were fed with a 5KV phase, and a few houses today still have only 117 V, 60 A service (only two wires). The point is that those older neighborhoods just do not have the power capacity of newer neighborhoods that have higher-voltage transmission lines with standard 234 V, 200 A service drops.

Because homes use a lot more energy during heat waves, your neighborhood probably cannot deliver more than the power capacity for which it was designed way back when. Air conditioners are really dehumidifiers, so when the relative humidity rises, your and your neighbors' AC units kick in and draw down your voltage.

Back in 1970, I picked up my own pole pig power transformer from the Milwaukee electric utility for its $9.65 salvage value. I might use it to supply power (4000 V DC @ 1 A) for my low-powered ham rigs over the years. It has a conservative rating of 5200 V @ 5 KVA.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 09, 2007)

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shut up, Urbanize!

LOL

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3959
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For your valuable electronics, it might be wise to consider investing in a UPS or uninterruptable power supply device.

A lot of people think of their value as giving one several minutes of battery power, depending on their capacity, to save files etc. but their best value is in levelizing voltage when the utilities 'steal' it while protecting against massive surges.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3366
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

levelizing?

Merriam-Webster: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

Suggestions for levelizing:

1. Levalloisian
2. leveraging
3. revalorizing
4. level crossing
5. leave-takings
6. lyophilizing
7. revictualling
8. lovelessness
9. lyophilising
10. revictualing

I reckon we could eliminate #6 or #9 because they're primarily used with freeze-drying blood plasma...

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 09, 2007)

Mikem

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

96 Volts is way out of wack for anything other than a momentary drop - I never see anything lower than 116 but I'm only a few blocks from my substation.

I don't know where in SCS you are, but for several years DTE has had a portable remote-controlled generator in the south end of town to help support the voltage there. They have rebuilt a major substation in Eastpointe which was suppose to help with the problem, although maybe they haven't yet replaced the circuits to your area.

Keep after them, but the solution may be in the works already. If it involves a major installation or reconfiguration of your local loop, it could be months before they get around to it.

Have you checked your neighbor's voltage?

East_detroit

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're in the 12 and Jefferson area, so, not the South end...

If they would simply tell me the truth (instead of the runaround) then at least I could see the light at the end of the tunnel (pun intended)... assuming that they indeed had plans in place to fix the situation.

Neighbors have the same problem, though they had just assumed the dim lights were something that happens in Summer... and nobody on the block has called this in except for me (according to DTE).

My UPS protects the computers (boosting voltage when it needs to), so I probably wouldnt have noticed except for the blowing fuse. I am sure that its taking life off of my new fridge, etc.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's customer service representative:

"The Power Quality Department has had a report on this since June 23. I will escalate this to my supervisor by filling out the 'Escalation Callback Form'."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Then I will place the 'Escalation Callback Form' into the "Callback Form Deposit Recepticle' AKA the garbage can.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not have this service, but DTE has a service where they charge less money but cut back on the electricity to your home during extreme times. I would make sure you also not part of that electric plan.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DTE has a service where they charge less money but cut back on the electricity to your home during extreme times.

That's interesting. I would expect with a plan like that, they'd temporarily cut off the power rather than reduce the voltage. How does that plan work?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's interesting. I would expect with a plan like that, they'd temporarily cut off the power rather than reduce the voltage. How does that plan work?

That's a (rolling) brownout.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9521
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because homes use a lot more energy during heat waves, your neighborhood probably cannot deliver more than the power capacity for which it was designed way back when

I would think as consumers people would expect DTE to upgrade the capacity to stay with the times. The idea that people should expect less or tolerate it because they live in an older area is crazy. Our dollars go to help build new infrastructure in new areas I would expect that some of those dollars could help upgrade the utilities in older neighborhoods.

Seems to keep in line with the Michigan mentality.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3371
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends...

I'd hardly expect DTE to upgrade their prairie facilities anytime soon. But again, there aren't many AC units running there.

Jt1

Post Number: 9523
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a SCS location spoken about above. There are a lot of dense areas in the city and inner rings with outdated capacity and infrastructure.

There is no excuse to have all taxpayers cover the costs of new infrastructure at 32 mile road but leave the older communities with poor infrastructure.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2573
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, thanks. I found this: brownouts.

Just before moving here from Phoenix, I lost a lot of electrical equipment (mostly TVs and computers) to unexpected power fluctuations. I didn't mind then because I avoided moving all that junk.

Still, that seems a terribly counterproductive way to economize.

Jt1

Post Number: 9524
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taxpayers should say utility payers above.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, don't you mean rolling blackout?

Jt1, I agree with your comments... same goes for the roads and other infrastructure... like concrete falling off bridges while new roads are paved into the former wilderness and DEQ lands.

Fact is, new condominiums were added in greenspace (a bunch of neighbors sold half their property) and they simply latched onto the same lines as us. Seems that they should have at least required the new construction to help with additional infrastructure.

Anyway, "Miss C_____" the supervisor called me back and told me that the "Power Quality Department" will "get to it when they get to it" and I asked for clarification and she said at least 2 weeks. Then I noted that its been in their hands for over 2 weeks and she sighed and said they will call me.

I then filled out an informal complaint with the MPSC online and got an immediate email stating they require a response from DTE within 10 days. If that response is not adequate then its time for a "formal complaint" which apparently starts including lawyers.

Meanwhile, 99 volts currently, no A/C possible and Mother Nature will hopefully give us some relief soon.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That's interesting. I would expect with a plan like that, they'd temporarily cut off the power rather than reduce the voltage. How does that plan work?"

Jimaz, here in Nevada they used to have a plan where they would place a transmitter on your air conditioner. During peak times when not enough electricity was available, they would shut off your air for about 10 minutes per hour. They stopped this practice after more power plants were built. I don't know if they ever started it back up.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE has that, also:

Our Interruptible Air Conditioning Program could save you up to 20% off your basic service rate. To take advantage of this special rate, your central air conditioner or heat pump is wired to a separate meter and radio control unit.

By allowing us to briefly cycle your service by remote control on very hot days or when there is a high demand for electricity, you save over the basic residential rate. The cycles are limited to 15 minutes maximum at a time followed by at least 15 minutes of operation and limited to no more than eight hours in a 24-hour period so they should not noticeably affect the temperature inside your home.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A rolling blackout is essentially the same as a rolling brownout. Some equate a brownout as a rolling blackout. So, according to that, the rolling part is redundant.

However, others differentiate between (a) a brownout due to loading down the line sufficiently so as to have the voltage being too low and (b) one that results from the utilities effecting it--their lowering the voltage a bit. So my adding the rolling part indicates that the brownout is the latter type, above.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan you speak of does NOT turn off you power.. It cycles you air-conditioning in high temp conditions.. or in emergencies.. in turn you get a discount on your power rate..

East_detroit

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Friday a DTE engineer called and left a message saying that he fixed it, giving me his phone number and asking me to verify its fixed with the next heatwave. So far we have gotten 117-120 volts, which is amazing because the most we've ever had was 115 and I thought that would be our target.

I noticed something new on the line, but not sure if thats the fix.

Can anyone identify this? Inline capacitor?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wiring that low on the pole is always low voltage - typically communications. I assume in that picture you're looking at a junction box for telephone wiring.

Likely they replaced transformers. In my neighborhood, we lost an entire 120VAC leg on my block. DTE came in and replaced all of the 1950's vintage transformers with brand new units, and since then I have never seen my voltage dip low.

I doubt the designers of the original systems back in the 50's or earlier had any idea we'd require the amount of power we do now.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting... I'll have to go look for new transformers.

Funny thing is that we didnt lose electricity during the fix, but maybe they have a way of bridging equipment while they swap?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3453
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The electrical service will be at the top of the power poles--not half or 2/3 the way up. Just trace your service drop back to the line and locate the pole pig.

And kids: Don't hook these up to your telephone at home...

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 16, 2007)

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We believe that those larger black things on the telephone lines are related to the At&t Lightspeed project. (can't remember what they are marketing it as now) They started appearing in the last yearish here on the southern end of SCS.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will my DSL be faster now or is that totally different?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3454
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is fast for DSL today? The CNET speed check on my Comcast broadband is usually 4 to 6 Mbs, while some outliers are 13 or 15 Mbs. I don't know what to believe...

I once did get a 65 MB download from Sun Microsystems in 8 seconds, according to the stats. Couldn't believe it.

Mikem

Post Number: 3383
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a telephone cable splice.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3455
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved to SW Detroit ten years ago--still overhead phone lines, but all my previous (rural) phone lines were underground since the 1970s. The overhead cable splice next door keeps SBC/AT&T busy...

No problems with Comcast and VoicePulse VoIP ($15/mo) here.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure what an array of capacitors might look like, but I did find some interesting pole pigs down at the end of the block.

Mini-pig up on top?

This pig looks new...

This pair of pigs looks really new...

Mikem

Post Number: 3395
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom photo is a set of voltage regulators, the rest look like transformers.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3459
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A typical pig might be 14.4 KV @ 15 KVA. [My obsolete (retired) pig is only 5200 V @ 5 KVA.] The larger ones were probably installed to account for the condos/apartments recently added. The older ones were either still used or kept there for reserve.

Capacitors are used for power-factor correction of inductive loads (motors, etc.). They are typically used on the secondaries and usually near the loads.

Also, the transmission lines act as long antennas. So, if one is observant, he would notice that the high-voltage lines are criss-crossed every few hundred feet or so in order to reduce some unwanted reactances.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I participate in the one time purchase fee direct stock purchase dividend reinvestment plan DTE offers. I WANT DTE to hold a monopoly..

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.