Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Many police cars gathered I-75/woodward/warren/forest area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know what all the hubbub is about? hordes of police and ambulances (25 - 50 cars?) were gathered in midtown at about 10 pm tonight blocking roads and shining lights....

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably was just a Plie-Up.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

Birdie

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think there were too many cars on the surface streets - almost seemed like they were looking for someone...

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving down 75 and they were blocking off the entrance ramps onto southbound 75.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as i came off of I-75 @ 10:30, at the warren exit, they were blocking off warren. there were about 10-15 police cars on the warren I-75 bridge... as I attempted to do a turn around to take canfield or mack home, (warren appeared to be CLOSED off at EVERY visible intersection) I heard sirens a-blazin' and about 2 ambulances and about 10 MORE police cars came roarin' down the servie drive going south. i would not have been surprised if there were 50, YES, FIFTY, cars within 2 blocks of the warren I-75 exit... WHAT WAS GOING ON? this was no usual traffic violation...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wxyz.com has a headline about a cop hit by a car near Cityfest, but I can't get the video report to play

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Police Officer was struck by a car near Conant and Davison area. The city had no ambulances available and they had to wait for a private ambulance to convey the officer. The officer was being taken to DRH for their injuries.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"their injuries" How many officers got hit by this car?

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The city had no ambulances available"

No ambulance "available" on a Sunday evening, for an injured police officer?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does sounds a little far fetched that there were no ambulances, but on the other hand, I remember a few years ago that the city had as few as 9 ambulances available at certain points in the week and only 12 on average.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I-75 and Warren...Conant and Davison...New Center...is everyone talking about the same thing?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard lots of sirens in that area from my hammock out on the porch around that time, but i was so damn comfortable i didn't care what they were all for.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This incident was not on the west side of the city. The article posted is another seperate incident. It must be.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got off Davison at Conant last night around 10 p.m. Man, it was impossible to get down to Hamtramck. I had to drive clear over to Buffalo to get down to Caniff. They shut down that neighborhood completely.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So does anyone know what actually happened?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peter - it seems the answer is no. :-( from what I can tell, people on this thread are talking about three different incidents on the evening of the 8th. the one originally brought up however, and the one that I saw was centered around the medical center/warren... (and 75)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the one I saw seemed to be bounded by Conant, Fenelon, Jayne and Davison.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the medical center one.

Birdie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my boyfriend was working that night in the er at DRH. he said the commotion in the new center and mid-town area (and everything in between) was all having to do with the police officer who was hit by a car and had a broken leg. there was indeed no ambulance available and there was some delay getting one to the scene of the accident. police were blocking off roads, entrances, exits, etc to expedite getting their fellow officer into the ER.

sure was a huge commotion for a broken leg.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9543
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate getting the most attention for downed officers but how many cars and officers went to the scene and how many other calls went unanswered?

Seems overkill for a police force that struggles to keep up with calls.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9555
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Birdie...welcome.

Of course, no way any of the officers could know how severely the 'officer down' call was...so I can't fault them for the attention and efforts.

As for the crime MISSED while they did this stunt...you gotta know there were at least a few n'er-do-well's planning on some shit in that neighborhood that got the beejeesus scared out of 'em...so the calls they missed probably all averaged out.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apartment window looks over Woodward through Midtown, and it seems that a police parade has occurred a few times now...since maybe the first of the year.

They'll come speeding down the avenue with squad cars sitting/blocking the side streets until the whole pack passes.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a grateful welcome to Birdie.

It calls to mind the line "A little birdie told me." What's the etymology of that line?

In radios, a birdie is defined as a wayward signal received, and generated by, the receiver itself.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9556
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leads me back to my flight down to West Palm Beach a few weeks ago...sat next to one of Grosse Point Shores finest and we talked of his work with the Wayne County Task Force doing drug raids.

He laughed after I took my spin on his story lamenting how so many of their busts go bust because the moment they go out in full black gear to break a door down...all the way down the drive they see people whipping out their cell phones and calling ahead.

I said that was GREAT...because it made his job safer, since they mostly clean house and flee...often destroying the evidence in the process.

BETTER, because they at least disrupted business that day and took some junk off the street.

BEST...because of the amplification effect from all of those calls to OTHER drug houses in the same area where they threw out stuff and dashed, even though they weren't on today's agreed upon hit list.

Heh. We then decided the best would be for them to dress up and just go zooming around the 'hood. Like the CHiPs, simply their presence might defer bad behavior...at least until the bad guys caught on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.