Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Photo L - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most should recognize this location. Unfortunately, all the buildings in the center of the photo are long gone.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I will let some of the junior members work this out. :-)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the inner area of Ft. Wayne. You can see in the lower right hand corner, the arched gates. You can also see the power plant on the far right that still exists on Jefferson. If the photo would have extended a bit more you would have been able to see the old barracks. And, the buildings that you see in the front are no longer there--it is just grass.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That white, round water tower poking up over the distant building on the left is located about five blocks to the northwest (off Dragoon St., between the railroad tracks and Fort St.), where it serviced what used to be the old Ternstedt/Fisher Body plant.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In fact, if you click through the current United Artists photos on the left of the forum, you will come to the Fort Wayne photos. You will see the same arched gate Rfban mentions with the "Members of the re-enactor group, the 5th Michigan Infantry Regiment Band, march into the fort from the passageway."

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3963
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A big shout and congrats to Ookpik on his 50th puzzle!

Fort Wayne was very active as a major port of delivery of automotive parts during WWII. I wonder if the buildings shown were part of that effort. This appears to be an open house display. Those weapons in the foreground are still at the fort, but over by the officer houses. The gate in the picture is shown below.

Fort Wayne Detroit WWII Gate

Fort Wayne Detroit WWII Guns

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3964
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, one more...

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell - Thanks for the congrats and shout out! :-)

I remember when Fort wayne looked like the vintage photo. The platform in the lower left was built over the tank that is second from the front in Lowell's last photo. You could climb up the stairs and then climb on/into the tank. I was thrilled in getting to climb on the tank but was very disappointed when I opened the hatch. The tank, after sitting outside for years, was now filled with filthy water and garbage - no way I was going to sit in it! :-(

Does anyone know what the white buildings were? World War II barracks?

Ookpik

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't go to Ft. Wayne anymore as I had a bad experience the last time I was there. I received a letter in the 50's requesting that I come and visit. The next thing I knew I was at the Wabash Station boarding a train for Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. (Insert smiley here).

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik-

According to the book "Images of America:Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne", written by the current site manager for the Fort, those structures and two others down by the river (CRC and another that I can't remember the name of!) were built during WWII as "temporary" warehousing facilities to hold the 8.5 million vehicle replacement parts that the Army used to keep it's vehicles on the go and running. Those particular buildings were demolished, finally, by the Detroit Historical Museum in 1976 when they took over management of the site from the Army. This was also the end of military oversight of the Fort and the beginning of the many civilian entities that were given the dubious task of managing the site.

The long, low shed roof structure perpendicular in the photo sits in exactly the same position as the original Barracks building did, which is directly opposite the Old Barracks building that still remains!!

Awesome pictures Ookpik!! You provide me with a visual history lesson with each photo that you post! Keep them coming!!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman-I had the same bad experience. The doctor could have at least introduced himself first.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, that's one of the memories I try to suppress.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CRC stands for the Collection Resource Center and is one of the buildings used by the Detroit Historical Museum.

Most of the Fort in under the City of Detroit Departments of Parks and Recreation. Former Detroit Historical Museum Chief Curator Jim Conway, who has just published the Arcadia Publishing Book on the Fort, is the P&P's manager of the fort.

The last photograph is on the 155mm howitzer is a World War I Snider, which has been converted to rubber tires for use primarily in the Pacific in World War II.

A 155mm Snider Howitzer with its original wheels is at the entrance to Parkside Homes on Connor nortth of Warren.

I haven't seen it in a number of years, but there was the new 155mm Howitzer of World War II vintage in the park in Lincoln Park which you could see from Fort Street. The World War II 155mm Howitzer is unqiue, since its barrell is unpainted highly polished natural steel, which was lubricated. This was to allow it to slide in its bracket during the recoil after being fired.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a tank being in a city park in Livonia during the late 60's, north of Joy Road and Hubbard. I and other children would climb all over it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.