Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What is up with The Ellington? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok seriously, they started constructing this place back in 2003 and the units STILL aren't occupied...

From Woodward you can see that like 3 of them have furniture in them and the rest are vacant...

Are they still working on the inside of these units? Is there some hold up preventing them from being occupied?

Or are they just not selling?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9520
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that I was told something about the ventilation delayed move ins. I don't know if that has anything to do with the current lack of occupancy. The price (180/sq if I recall) seemed high to me.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was kind of wondering about that.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I remember someone posting something here about the ventilation (or lack thereof) causing poor air quality, but I think that was last year...

If that's the case, I've never heard of a 5 story building sitting vacant for so long over such a thing...how big of an issue is it to correct?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends. Are the units rental, or is each unit bought and sold?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9522
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know that if that is an issue. If people are now living there it probably isn't the case but the delay may have chased off others.

My guess is the price is now what is holding it back. I think it is a great looking building in a decent location.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if units are individually owned, then basically all of the mechanical systems must be separate for each unit so the it can be maintained by its owner. If the units are just general rental, then there can be one central system. this can be a very complicated issue. Are the windows on the building operable?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you been in there? Many more than 3 units are occupied.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPaul, I would think so. I know the units have balconies, so there is at least a way to get some natural ventilation in there.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Operable windows help a lot for ventilation. Problem is, that many people these days don't operate windows. Therefore, sometimes fresh air can be supplied to the hallways which in turn can be supplied to the units through gaps under the front doors. However, that is not a very fancy way of doing it, and it might be a code thing now (for fire reasons) that each unit needs its own fresh air through a ventilation system. Anyway, it is complicated.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have you been in there? Many more than 3 units are occupied.

That's good to hear. Do you know what the actual occupancy is right now? Is it over 50% yet? Driving by on the street, the ground floor retail businesses seem to be doing fairly well.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long time reader, first post. Hopefully I can answer the topic, because I live in the building. The building is approx. 50% occupied. Many people backed out when the C of O took so long. The reason for the delay (or so they say) was a code problem with the dampers in the mechanical systems which stop the spread of smoke and/or fire. That being said, (delay and all) we love living here. Also, most unsold units are not built out, and won't be, until they are sold.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome, and nice first post!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.