Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Vacant Building Syndrome « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worthwhile article:

http://www.americancity.org/ar ticle.php?id_article=232

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting. Detroit neighborhoods could really use a grass root group to put new roofs and secure empty houses, for future developement and restoration. Such a group exists in Saginaw (Neighborhood Renewal Services or NRS in the Cathedral District), but it is in its infancy so its hard to say what the result will be, but for the time being the homes that NRS owns are being saved from further damage from weather and vandalism. I really don't know what neighborhoods in Detroit would be good for this type of program, but I think it could be done. The demolition of buildings because they are empty really doesn't do any good. It doesn't speed development, and really it is destroying the most interesting things that make Detroit, Saginaw, New York, or any city unique, and worth living in.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would y'all two be interested in spearheading an effort to board up buildings/houses? ...

Or are y'all just content with lamenting that they will eventually get burned down, like what other folks did in a previous thread.

I am very interested in such an effort. A 4'X 8' sheet of plywood cost $24, so I would need help with purchasing plywood!!!

Did these grassroots groups in other cities own the properties that were boarded up? If not, how could they gain access to board up these buildings.

There is a street in the vicinity of the Russell Woods neighborhood, east of Dexter. This tree-lined street is lined with pretty two-family flats. On the south side of the street, there is a stretch of 5-6 brick two-family flats that are all abandoned and open for anybody to enter. Amazingly, this particular block has no vacant lots.

I believe that one day, when Detroit rises, that people will flock to live in the historic housing that exists in Russell Woods and the neighbhorhoods immediately to the east of Dexter.

It's a shame that these 5-6 houses are waiting to be burned down or demolished. Each unit has a fireplace and crown molding. What if I tried to board up one myself? A resident would definitely tell me to buzz off or call the police?

Can I get in contact with the owner? The only information that is given out by the city government is the address of the owner, and if you send them a letter, you might not get a response.

So what can be done????

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...organic urban neighborhoods are self-generated, not developer-built. " These words never spoken truer.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When people will flock back???? It's bad enough the Detroit & the state of Michigan can't keep people in the state as it is. Good idea you have to preserve these old homes(I acutally like old homes over these new cookie-cutter built like crap new homes). The state should focus on rebuilding this old communites/suburbs that are in detroit that have fallen from there grace, then to spend money on over-priced loft development downtown. Let's focus on the big picture, if the city & state could do this and bring back some new kind of industry, as I have stated before in some of my post's and I know people are probably gonna get sick of me saying this, you gotta move your focus away from the american auto industry, they outsourced just as much as some other american companies..but I am not going to start a flame war about that. It's called focus on the situation at hand. And I know the gov'of MI is trying to do something to try and help with the job/economic situation. But folks you gotta look at this, time to focus our attention on revitalization of other areas, besides downtown. I don't think the area & state will re-see it's glory days as it once has. The area might come back in some sort of economic growth, but it won't be enough funds to boost the economy everyone wants to so much see happen.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Woodbridge, and as I am sure many of you know it is mostly restored/saved by its inhabitants. My house is a two-family home owned by my in-laws who live around the corner in a house that was also re-habbed by them. Everyone they know took the time to rebuild their own homes. I've never seen anything like it. I'm from downriver originally, and there is not one neighborhood there that is as close-knit as the one I'm in now. I am 100% sure that it is because they spent the time rebuilding the neighborhood themselves.

That being said, I am all for a group that would get together and board up vacant houses, or that would repair the roofs - basically whatever will help prevent further damage so that it could possibly be rebuilt one day. I think another part of that same organization should consist of people who both get on the city about demo'ing houses that just need to be demo'd and who chase down owners who are not properly taking care of their property.

I know that this may be a pipe dream, but it's my pipe dream. I think that since the city will never apply the pressure there needs to be, only an independent organization could really do the job.

*sigh*

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you on that comment Vintagesoul....it seems the city is more contempt in spending time on other projects and wasting money on more projects that the city doesn't need at this time. Ive driven thru some of these old neighborhoods and seen in good structually sound homes that just need to be boarded up and re-roofed. It seems they would rather raze them and not raze the ones that are beyond repair. To much corrput politics and policies.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right, CPU. Any time you wanna get together and bother the city about the ones that really need to come down, let me know. I love calling and harrassing them. =)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 892
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit neighborhoods could really use a grass root group to put new roofs and secure empty houses, for future developement and restoration.

No way Jose. I am currently running out of houses/schools/buildings to scrap as it is. The six Mexicans I have working for me are already bitchin' about the deplorable working conditions and crappy benefits, the last thing they want to do is re-roof a target property and secure it with new plywood. We are in the business of preparing the target property for demolition, not rehab!

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick all the nice houses up and move them all together.

http://www.preservationpark.co m/history/urban.html

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now were talking! I can't tell you how many beautiful, ruined med-style homes i wanted to bring back with me from Cali. House lifting and moving is big business out there. I've been waiting for people out here to get it in there heads to stop using houses like morning coffee cups. buy, use, throw away.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vintagesoul, I like your pipe dream but I'm guessing that the neighborhoods such as yours that are being restored/saved are filled with people who are working and making money. The key to having houses being restored is for people in the city to be able to find work, make money and take ownership.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.