Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Are the citizens of the D armed? « Previous Next »
Archive through July 10, 2007Quozl34 07-10-07  11:53 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercy, mercy me, things ain't what they used to be.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:After all the things that happened to me there, I would definitely have a gun. I had my house broken into about 5 times, been mugged 2 times, had to clean up murdered tennants in my apartment building and had my car vandelized numerous times.

Just how much do you take before defending yourself?

Please dont say I asked for all those things to happen to me. Im a gay guy, how threatening is that? If things like that start happening to me here in Nashville, I will definitely get a gun! I would also go for training on how to use it.

I say:

Ex? Just out of curiousity, why would you stay in these circumstances? I can understand if its a money issue because most of us live paycheck to paycheck.

And one last thing. Your sexuality is your business and no one else's. If people choose to be ignorant towards you because of whom you choose to wish to love then thats their problem.

None of us hs any right to judge you or anyone else's love.

May I ask, is there not a friendly nabe to move to where you would not be affected by homophobia or crime?

the good rev

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3216
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm the same as Johnlodge.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"(Message edited by livernoisyard on July 10, 2007)

(Message edited by barnesfoto on July 10, 2007)

(Message edited by quozl on July 10, 2007)"

^^^How the hell did that happen?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Oops, lol.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revaldullton, I did live in a "Gay friendly" neighborhood, Palmer Park! I managed the building right behind Menjo's for 4 years. The opprotunity presented itself for me to move to Tennessee so I did. Why did I stay there? Its my home and I love detroit!

I feel like I was ran out of the city. I moved all over the city from burbs to palmer park to 7 and john R where my house was completely emptied out. I didnt have a choice but to move or eventially get killed so I left when i got the chance. And yes, Im bitter about it! Its america and you would think you could live where you want, but you cant! I dont think my sexuality had a lot to do with it, Im not flamboiant by any means. I do think criminals (muggers) do target outside the gay bars. Gays are easy pickins!

I will move home when I feel I can live where I want (Virginia Park) and walk my dogs safely in the evenings and sleep with both eyes shut.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You talking to me about Darwin. If so, I believe that we were making the same point. "

Yes, we are in agreement, I was just ranting further on your point.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: I feel like I was ran out of the city.

Ex, believe me when I tell you that you are not alone in your feelings.

I hope you are well
the good rev

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a gun, but I don't have a problem with the Second Amendment as it is currently interpreted.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious what shotguns are preferred?

I have a Beretta 391 I use for sporting clays and trap. Its a semi-auto. Its also pretty nice and somewhat expensive ($1200), so I keep it dis-assembled, in case, and locked, with the shotgun shells in my safe.

I've thought about getting something I don't care if it gets beat up. I'm leaning toward a Benelli Nova pump. About $300 and I hear are very reliable and tough. The Remington 870 is another classic, but I have heard of issues. I believe there is also the Mossberg 500 pump. Heard good and bad on the Mossbergs.

I don't live someplace where I feel this gun will likely have to be used. However, living in the bay area, WHEN the next massive earthquake hits and post-Katrina hell shows up here, I plan to be proactive about protecting myself, the food and fuel I have stored for just such an occasion, and my friends who live with me. I agree with those here that say it is better to be prepared than not, and for me, that includes food, water, fuel, etc., and a shot gun. Guess I just would like to get one more suited to personal protection (easy to use quickly, and reliable as hell). My Beretta is an excellent gun, but if it isn't cleaned properly, or one of the many parts hangs up, it jams. I had a problem with a bent carrier from the factory that caused about 1-2 hangups on the 2nd shot per 100 rounds. Finally got it fixed, and it isn't a huge deal when you're out shooting clays. But if I shoot once and gotta shoot again in a defense situation, having just 1 hangup means the difference between them or me. I love my 391, but I'm not willing to trust it will work 100% correctly 100% of the time. I really should get a pump. Plus it would at least be a nice secondary gun to let others use when they come clay's shooting too.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I cannot believe some of the passive and lackadaisical comments as to loosing ones own life, try something different, like fighting back, maybe you’ll find something inside you that you didn’t even know existed."

Just for you I have to say I have never had any problems. I have never been mugged, some guy tried once I talked him out of it. I have never had a problem with theft. I do quite fine with out guns and filling people full of bullets, thank you very much. I prefer to be more of a passivist because its the right thing to do but that doesn't mean that I let people take advantage of me. As for gay friendly neighborhoods there is no such thing, not even Ferndale can claim that, some are more so than others, but there is no great place to live in this state.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good reason to leave the city!
Anybody happy that they have to have a gun to feel safe?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9539
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul - Why don't you ask the gun owners where they live. A few that advocate needing guns do not live in the city.

But why would you consider something like that when you can just make pointless comments.

But again a solid contribution from you. Can you also list why you left the city, what happended to you in 1978, etc. It's fun to hear a skipping record.

Jt1

Post Number: 9540
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually on a quick scroll through it looks like the pro gun people live out in the suburbs.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit here, my idea of gun control is double tap center of mass. Never lived anywhere else, but if I make it to retirement I'm outta here. I was in the inner city on the warm summer of 67 where you?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't own a gun, but I can talk a MFer to death and beyond.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 750
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you need to own ANY type of gun. you need to move away, because you're just paranoid.

So Urbanize, does that go for the thousands of Michigan residents who enjoy hunting and sport shooting (trap, skeet, target shooting, etc)? Because if I want to go deer hunting during rifle season, I just might feel the "need" to own a rifle, or am I just being paranoid?

Jt1

Post Number: 9542
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing he meant for personal protection but it's just a guess.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 751
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm guessing he meant for personal protection but it's just a guess.

He specifically said ANY type of gun (in capital letters for emphasis no less). Most people don't own rifles for personal protection, as they make a poor choice for home defense.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: I don't own a gun, but I can talk a MFer to death and beyond. - loved it lmMFao

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“For me its:
Glock 32 (.357 Sig) For Summer Carry
Sig Sauer P229 (.357 Sig) For Winter Carry.”

Nice, precision-made weapons Ron.

Jerome,
I had a Mossberg 500 Persuader, matter of fact that was the shotgun I changed the stock on, to a top folding stock w/ pistol grip. It was the shotgun I kept in my bedroom.

I really didn’t think it was a well-made weapon, it seemed flimsy to me, Mossberg thinks the world of it; it was around $200.00, maybe $220.00 at Gibraltar (Taylor) so it’s not an expensive shotgun at all. The pump action itself was wobbly, maybe it was just me.

I picked up a Marine Magnum at the same show, now that’s a shotgun.

It’s a highly durable 12-gauge utility gun that resists corrosion on land or water. Electroless nickel plating covers all metal, including the inside of the barrel and receiver. It is impervious to the weather or humidity; well almost, and cleaning it is a breeze.

It has a synthetic stock w/ generous checkering for positive control, the weapon also comes with an 18" Cylinder barrel with single-bead front sight, six-round magazine, padded sling, swivel studs, and a recoil pad second to none, I can’t say enough good things about it, about $500.00 @ Gibraltar.

Last, but certainly not least, is my Remington Model 870 Tactical Shotgun w/ SpecOps stock, this weapon will fire every time, it will not let you down, and is widely used by law enforcement, around $500.00. I think it may be one of the best shotguns for home defense on the U.S. market

Anything Benelli is ok in my book; I prefer the Super Nova Shotgun line.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 811
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input Club_boss. I would rather be tried by 12 then carried by six. Take it from one whom stared more then one down the barrel.

Bullet

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’ve only had the pleasure of staring down the barrel of a gun once; in Ann Arbor, ok, technically it was in Dixboro.
It was an armed robbery, not only did they point the gun at my face, I was pistol whipped about the head and kicked in the ribs, I guess I was not answering their questions fast enough.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole argument over whether to carry/own or not is a good one in that different people are comfortable with different things. I come from a law-enforcement family. The ONLY thing my father ever taught me was how to shoot. I've been shooting almost since I've been walking. Therefore, I am very comfortable with it. For those who are not, please do not purchase a gun. It is that discomfort which causes accidents.

That being said, I would like to share a story here. My girlfriend's brother (with his pregnant wife and 10 month old son) was recently living over in my old neighborhood. Their next door neighbor used to be out at all hours of the night, blasting music loud as hell. He casually and respectfully mentioned to the neighbor that he has a pregnant wife, and infant son, and would it be possible for him to keep it down at night. The neighbor responded that the brother should come over and "ask him" in his face. The brother, being a responsible and peaceful man, simply ignored this ignorance. Two days later, the brother woke up to find that the neighbor had put his two pitbulls in the brother's backyard to kill his dog. Two weeks later, they moved.

While this story thankfully did not involve any gunplay, it certainly gives you the understanding of the type of ignorant ass bitches that are out there, whom do not understand anything except violence. These are the ones who need a 125 grain hollow point .357 to the skull.

Additionally, what if the neighbor felt it more appropriate to let the pits out when the brother was in the backyard, rather than his dog? You cannot talk a dog out of chewing your ass off. (Or a rabid 'possum either :-))

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While talking about this subject back in the day, a veteran Highland Park cop offered the following advice on the topic of home defense. I paraphrase:

Handguns and rifles are too imprecise, off by an inch, miss by a foot. They are also too powerful. If discharged in a house there is the possiblity they the will blow through the walls of the house, through the neighbor's and kill his kid.

The best weapon is a legally sawed off pump shotgun with double ought buck. Hang it above the inside of a closet door.

Factoid: if you own a gun, it is 26 times more likely that it will kill or injure yourself or someone in your family than it will some intruder. I also heard that it is more likely that a criminal will steal one's gun than the gun will be used to deter a criminal.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can there be any question why the cities population has been cut by more than half and continues to fall? One need only read this thread to get a smidgen of an idea.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happiness is a warm gun bang bang shoot shoot

Jt1

Post Number: 9544
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL - The same question I posed to Paul is posed to you. Of the people insisting they need guns how many live in the city and how many in the suburbs.

From past threads it is clear that a couple of the biggest advocates of needing guns do not live in the city.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if you own a gun, it is 26 times more likely that it will kill or injure yourself or someone in your family than it will some intruder"

Lowell who did that survey? Not trying to be smart but that doesn't sound right.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesnt do any good to have a gun if someone gets the jump on you. Give the people, or help them to afford Health care, provide job opportunities, instead of the wage slavery that permeates the market, and there won't be a perception of the need for guns.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Factoid, smactoid. I say we should ALL arm ourselves for self defense. I’m talking about all adult citizens should be trained and made to carry at all times. It wouldn’t take long for the bad guys to realize that it isn’t going to be easy pickings any more. Oh sure, at first there may be a thinning of the herd as people settle into this new way of life, but look at it as taking one for the team. I know you’re thinking that people will do all sorts of stupid stuff with their guns, but they do that now. And do away with those stupid 'gun free' zones. The bad guys know in a GFZ he is the only one with heat. He could literally walk into a school and kill dozens of students knowing no one is armed but him. (I know that sounds far fetched) Remember, the one thing that always ends gun violence is another gun. Works every time it's tried. So arm up Detroiters, and take the bull by the horns! After all, this is the U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Bullet. Still undecided at this point in my life on this issue...but I'd half to say I lean slightly towards your side.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy Bullet...easy....them Easterners don't understand those of us who live in the West and how guns are part of our lives...its a completely different dimension...in Alaska pilots are required to carry firearms...bad place to go down and not be armed...same true here in the wilderness...a whole lot different than a MI state park...living on the ranch is a damn sight different than living on the Eastside.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - EASTSIDE???? Like the Urban Prairie on the eastside of Motown????? You in AZ have the sidearms...while those in the "HOOD" have big weapons.........guns and pitbulls run MOtown!!!

I had a whammo sling shot once and shot ball bearings at kids who lived on Fordham west of Hayes

Goblue

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO....we have a confession!! Now I don't feel so bad about returning fire with my whammo using lit cherry bombs! They were almost as good as a mortar.

When I lived in Alaska we always said that at least the bears didn't have guns....as opposed to Detroit.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 756
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody NEEDS a gun. All you NEED is food, water, and air to breathe. But the fact remains, the Constitution of the United States as interpreted by the federal courts grants individual citizens the right to own firearms. If someone feels for whatever reason that they should own a gun, that is their choice and their right. A lawful gun owner shouldn't have to justify to any of you why he or she feels the need to own or lawfully carry a gun anymore than a woman who gets an abortion should have to justify that action to Karl or MrJoshua.

There are always going to be those people in society who feel that they know what's best for EVERYONE and want to take away a freedom or a liberty because they think it is in everyone's best interest to do so. It's not right when Right Wing conservatives do it, and it's not right when anti-gun liberals do it. I'm willing to accept a little risk to live in a free society and I'm willing to put up with people doing things I don't agree with because the alternative (making whatever they are doing illegal because I personally don't like it) is much worse.

(Message edited by warriorfan on July 21, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, is the Pope Catholic?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"if you own a gun, it is 26 times more likely that it will kill or injure yourself or someone in your family than it will some intruder"

Lowell who did that survey? Not trying to be smart but that doesn't sound right.

Suicide and domestic violence cause the high number of non-intruder deaths

check out this study - the odds for suicide in a home where guns are present is 3.44 when compared to when a gun isn't and the odds that a suicide will be by firearm is 16.89 when a gun is in the home vs when one isn't.
Homicide and suicide risks associated with firearms in the home: a national case-control study.

and ~ "In 2000, the U.S. recorded close to 11,000 firearm homicides and more than 16,000 firearm suicides."
Insurance, Life Expectancy and the Cost of Firearm Deaths in the U.S.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4000
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the issue of guns creating more mayhem than protection, here is what I dug up. This says 22 times, I had said 26, but that was most certainly from the eighties when all rates were higher.

quote:

In 2002, 30,242 people were killed by guns in America - 83 people a day - including 17,108 suicides; 11,829 homicides; and 762 unintentional or accidental shootings.

A gun kept in the home is 22 times more likely to be used in an unintentional shooting (4 times), a criminal assault or homicide (7 times), or an attempted or completed suicide (11 times) than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.

An estimated 33-40% of households own guns and approximately 44-51 million Americans personally own guns.

As of 1994, Americans owned an estimated 192 million firearms.

One out of three handguns is kept loaded and unlocked. More than half of all handguns are kept either locked and/or unloaded.

Nearly all childhood unintentional shooting deaths occur in or around the home. Fifty percent occur in the home, and 40% occur in the home of a friend or relative. Most of these deaths involve guns that have been kept loaded and accessible to children and occur when children play with loaded guns.

When someone is home, a gun is used for protection in fewer than two percent of home invasion crimes.

Source

Disclaimer, I am not a gun control 'type' having grown up around guns and been a hunter. But I am a gun safety nut.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 951
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my dad bought me a my first gun when I turned 10. It was a Remington "Youth Model" 22 cal. rife. It had a special small stock and shorter barrell so that it was easier for a boy to handle.

I went to Kmart and bought a gun rack and put that 22 on the wall above the foot of my bed.

LOL. Can you imagine buying a 10 year old a gun today? They would lock you up.

BTW, 2 years later at a neighbors house with his father's handgun (and his father right there), I accidently discharged the handgun, nearly killing my friend. So, I'm not a big fan of fire arms in homes or around children.

Goblue

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right Ray...when I was about 14 and home alone when I picked up my DPD father's service revolver...thought it was empty because I'd taken all of the shells out to clean it for him...he'd reloaded...I fired a round into the wall and through a stack of my mother's dishes...needless to say there was hell to pay when they got home. Kids make mistakes with loaded guns...it ain't worth having one in the house especially with kids around.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.