Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit may rent out cops « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In todays Detroit News, Detroit has a plan to rent out cops to shops, bars, neighborhoods and other places. Detroiters can contract with the city and give extra pay to detroit cops. The American cities of Miami and Atlanta have similar programs.
More in the Detroit News,
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/M ETRO/707100375/1003

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2583
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I understand the motivation but it essentially creates a two-tiered level of service. You get more enforcement only if you're willing to pay more. This could very easily slip toward a protection racket.

I see they're trying to separate the "rent-a-cop" function from normal police functions but I suspect that won't work well in practice.

Have any cities other than Miami and Atlanta tried this?

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of other cities do this this.
But in the "D's" case they should worry about first fixing their broken department before completely abandoning the people like have have been doing for years.

I have never seen in any other major city in the world where it takes police 3 weeks to answer a call for help.

Of course 3 weeks is an exaggeration but you know what I mean.

the good rev

(Message edited by revaldullton on July 10, 2007)

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do this in Windsor and it works fine as far as I know. Downtown bars around here use it mostly I think and Ambassador Bridge always has one off duty patrol car stationed there.

The only problem I think that popped up was some perceived favoritism since originally the person/organization who hired the off duty officers could pick and choose who they wanted to hire. Now I think the officers are chosen randomly out of a pool of officers who have volunteered for the extra work.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this sort of think goes on unofficially, with police getting part-time gigs in neighborhoods like Greektown, perhaps getting "bonus" gifts from business owners, or even having their supervisors pressure them to "unofficially" provide guaranteed service to the city's most powerful people.

If this is done elsewhere, then I'm sure it's no problem here, right? But I guess we shouldn't have them swear to protect the Constitution, uphold the law, etc., if they're just glorified rent-a-cops.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I'm concerned they can start rentin'em out when they answer 100% of the calls that come in with in 1/2 of an hour of receiving them! NOT!

I have called for Detroit Police assistance 3 times in the warrendale area, they came once.

(my answer for a previous thread - hell yes I own a firearm and 2 Rottweilers)

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they should do this in Palmer Park, but got shot down when I brought it up. I do see where corruption can easily brew from this idea too though. I know I bitch about PP a lot, but thats where I love and where my heart is. I see that area with SOOO MUCH POTENTIAL!

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it’s a great idea I would hire them.

These officers would be off-duty and their training, as well as their presence, could come in handy.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's more, their virtual immunity from civil and criminal lawsuits will mean they can kick the crap out of homeless people and never get in trouble.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There would clearly be lots of legal and insurance issues to work out, but if done correctly, could help this city thrive.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3218
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea. As long as there are assurances that the city will employee as many regular cops doing the same jobs and at least the same amount of hours as they currently do (so that basic standards do not fall unless the budget absolutely requires them to), then this is great. Block associations can pool their funds to get extra coverage for a neighborhood. Detroit has tons of beautiful, intact neighborhoods, often with little to no blight, and often with neighbors who know each other and look out for each other. But crime still happens in these places and, being in a major city, often surrounded by much worse neighborhoods, the people who live in these neighborhoods still have to worry about crime in the back of their mind. How does this manifest itself? Well, you might worry about letting your children play in the front yard without multiple adults supervising. You might have a hard time sleeping at night knowing that a couple of your neighbors have been burglarized recently. If you and the 10, 20, or 30 other households on your block pool your resources to ensure that you always have police presence on your beautiful street which you love so much, then you have created a habitat which is both beautiful and that much safer, where you can worry just a bit less about the omnipresent threat of crime. This program could help Detroit's good neighborhoods thrive, enticing safety-minded people to stay rather than move to a suburb.

A business association/corridor can also do the same thing. If all merchants along a few blocks of a business district are worried about shoplifting or property crime, they can hire a cop or two and worry a bit less. In the neighborhoods, this could help revitalize a lot of corners. When it comes to downtown i.e. Merchant's Row, Broadway, and the soon to be gentrified Capital Park, I believe that the city should provide merchants with a decent level of on-street policing. This would give so much incentive for both chains and small business people to open up shop along these corridors. They may really want to get into Detroit, but worry that shoplifting might be a problem. This is why so many retailers stay in mall settings where there is security. Downtown could snag a lot more businesses if you offer them this sort of insurance policy against property crime. Rather than expect businesses to open up shop and perhaps "rent" a cop, the city should make sure the cops are there in the first place, in order to get merchants to move in ASAP. I'm not saying it should be two cops on every corner of the CBD like on Fireworks night, but maybe one cop on the ground for every two-three blocks.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "If you and the 10, 20, or 30 other households on your block pool your resources to ensure that you always have police presence on your beautiful street which you love so much, then you have created a habitat which is both beautiful and that much safer, where you can worry just a bit less about the omnipresent threat of crime."

Is this not to be included now in the taxes I pay on two homes in Detroit?? sorta like a $200 garbage pick up? Lets chip in and get us some real police protection!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9557
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a fantastic idea, again, as long as the services throughout the city do not suffer.

That said, it is absolutely necessary for the city to create this...and it would be good for City Council to perhaps put some regulation on the use of civilian armed guard units around the city.

Great for those developments that could afford it, to even offer a remote camera service that monitors a certain number of off-sites with an actual officer who could dispatch others or respond him or herself.

All armed response should be by police officers.

This would do many, many positive things.

Increase cash flow INTO the city, and hopefully proportionately into the police force for hiring and training...and equipment.

Allow the creation of a market that could generate income from a good number of public and private needs...locking down entire city blocks to accomodate the movie industry, festivals and concerts, construction site perimters...any one of a number of 'new' uses for a capitalist public police force.

The greater the number of live eyes on the street, coupled to a badge and a radio/phone and a weapon or three...with PROPER training and vetting...the better we all will be.

The increase in even temporary camera systems...for construction site surveillance, etc...would make an officer's observations cover an even wider area, with greater safety and overall less boredom than sitting in the field.

(heck, for that purpose ALONE, I'd like to see meter monsters returned to some level of official police responsibility...that 'service' should not be a private affair, now that it is working the city should take it back and get ALL the profits from lawbreakers.)

I cannot see where this isn't a win-win-win. Only drawback I can see is the potential liability when the assigned and paid-for officer doesn't respond in the manner the customer expected. I'm sure the lawyers could investigate the liability side.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soprano's anyone? I can see the programs potential, but have mixed feelings on this one. I'm all for paying cops more for the work they do, but this is an extremely fine line to walk.

P.S. If someone wants to sell a city initiative as a good idea, for f**ks sake, DO NOT use Miami and Atlanta as examples!!!

(Message edited by Jb3 on July 10, 2007)

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for this one Jb3, but DC and its suburbs do it too. Seems to work ok, particularly for those areas that may be prone to some violence (Can you say Zoo Bar?)

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's ok. As long as we don't have just Atlanta and Miami to look too for inspiration.:-).

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait a sec guys.
nabe block associations pooling funds?

Are you suggesting that you pay twice for police protection already afforded to you by the rules of our land and the taxes for which you pay through the nose?

The police and the city seriously need to get their act together.
The response time(if they even show) should be on America's funniest videos. Its laughable and downright disgusting.

Your money already pays for them to protect you. Make them do the dang job you pay them for already.
Don't allow city workers to rob you blind.

the good rev

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9577
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the increased revenue from this would assist in the improvement of services rendered to all for basic tax dollars spent.

We don't have to assume these are mutually exclusive items.

But you're right, it is a far cry between an event or location that needs specific coverage and a neighborhood that MUST assume they are getting the best available service AND protection for the dollars spent.

Cheers.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5610
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't they already do this to a certain degree when a production company comes to town to shoot a movie or commercials?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JB3,

What's wrong with with using Atlanta and Miami as examples?

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do "rent a policeman" here in Indy as well.

Now there are various versions of police officers around these parts, the patch on the officers shoulder reveals exactly what type of officer they are; regular, special, auxiliary, reserve, in any event they arrive at the business in a police car, they are armed, and in a full uniform, that's a cop in my book.

Actually it's a common occurrence, they run bank drops, as well as providing security at innumerable businesses, I see them all the time.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do it in nashville for special events too. My bosses husband is a metro cop and he works the games, concerts etc. Hell if someone is paying for more police presence GO FOR IT!

When I was up there over memorial day, I saw cops EVERYWHERE! It was the safest Ive ever felt in downtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.