Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Gas prices « Previous Next »
Archive through July 12, 2007Rrl38 07-12-07  9:26 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gas or the Coke?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FocusontheD,

Although I don't make $100K, I DO pay more taxes than those who make less money than I do.

The point I was making flows from several other messages that followed such as this LATEST hike might be caused by some oil tycoon's family being ransomed. Every time they want to raise the price they come up with a flimsy excuse. They also blame increases on lack of refineries but they've made NO attempt to build more because they doubt they can recoup their investments before we start reducing our need. That's why I go livid at the incredible profits the oil companies suck out of working folks.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL....let's raise prices because someone is being ransomed....Waaahhhh.... I want raise prices because some bird pooped on my car. Yeah water is like gold out there in those areas. I really think we need to find alternative fuels fast....They probably want to raise prices just so they can buy more useless crap...like a 50 million luxury yacht. What would be funny if someone came out with a nuke powered car.... shoot you would never have to refuel, just add water and let the steam do the power. Kind if like how a Nuke aircraft carrier works.

Mattric43

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't we trade with this country. Water for Gas and gas for water

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a diesel mercedes used for sale on my way home from work....Now if I can only find someone who makes bio-diesel.

Mattric43

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want a car that runs on air or water. That wouldn't be practical in that other country but here it would be good. Steam Engine!!! There we go!! My how things have come full circle.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey that was my idea....Just be carefull your car doesn't go three mile island on yah'.

Mattric43

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Yeah that would be bad. I can see it now. On the side of the road. She's Gunna Blow!!!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vintage, who is KSA?

Mattric, the steam engine car did exist for a time.

Track75, thanks for the information. However, why won't the U.S government open up our oil reserves to make up for the decline in Nigerian oil production? Telling us that gas prices have gone up 30 cents in three days because the number 12 oil producer in the world oil, Nigeria, is having problems with its oil output is ludicrous. Now, if you said the same thing about the number one or number two producers of oil I could understand the rationale for the price increases.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called Greed my friend.....

Mattric43

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it existed and still does that's why I said full circle.

Sorry didn't see car there. I thought you were saying the steam engine existed. My Bad

(Message edited by Mattric43 on July 12, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Jimaz

Post Number: 2606
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the recent gas price spike is more local to Michigan. Since mid June Detroit's prices have been way over the national average. Before that they were typically lower.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I paid $3.29/gallon for 87 octane on Capitol Hill yesterday morning. Thank God I got reimbursed for that.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great book:

http://www.livecarfree.com/

How to Live Well without Owning a Car, by Chris Balish

And it is cheap.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Royce, I'm a little late. I see someone already answered you. I'm working and reading DY forums, haha.

But yeah, the prices over there are controlled by the King. He sets a maximum and they can't go over it. I would just love to see that happen here...lol.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NJ has the cheapest prices....Didn't they state they wanted to increase the gas tax here???

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why won't the U.S government open up our oil reserves?"

Better question is why does George Bush buy oil at the highest prices to stuff the strategic reserves ?

The massive demand for oil by the USA does NOT all come from mindless consumption by selfish giant SUV drivers - we are burning it 1000 barrels a second in Iraq. The rest is being stuffed in the ground by Bush, purchased at top dollar prices.

The price blowout came after the war began. The instability in prices, which has little to do with supply and demand, comes from speculation in the stock market - which is 100% artificial.

Econ my ASS

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$4.09 at Michigan Harbor Marina this morning, about 70 cents per gallon over the BP/Shell stations price at 9 and Jefferson.
You top this??

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 861
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, time to buy a sailboat...

Jimaz

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sales tax pumps up gas costs, state coffers
quote:

Michigan is one of just six states that apply their sales tax to gasoline purchases, as well as charge a per-gallon excise tax. Most other states collect all their pump taxes on a per-gallon basis, so motorist pay more in taxes only if they buy more fuel, not because the cost of the fuel went up....

The sales tax is not the only thing keeping Michigan prices high. The closure of a Kansas refinery due to flooding and the July 5 shutdown of equipment for repairs at a major BP refinery in Indiana -- sent prices throughout the Great Lakes region skyrocketing this week. Oil prices above $70 a barrel are also pushing U.S. gas prices up.

There could be relief in sight. The downed refinery is expected to come on line within the next few days, and prices should dip throughout the region in a week or so, said Doug MacIntyre, senior oil market analyst at the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Another reason Michigan often outpaces its neighbor states in gas prices is location, MacIntyre said. The state is at the end of the pipeline from Chicago area and Gulf Coast refiners.

When demand is high, Michigan distributors often have to pay more for gas. On the other hand, when demand is low, like last winter, being at the end of the line results in low prices because the state is flooded with gas that other states didn't purchase....

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civilprotectionunit4346,

If you go for the Mercedes, the following site has info on finding biodiesel http://www.biodiesel.org/buyin gbiodiesel/guide/default.shtm# supplier.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, that's the most logical and clear explanation I've ever heard of. Thx for posting.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of now, the closest Bio-diesel is in Centerline-Van Dyke and 10mile. Midtown soon, apparently. What kind of mercedes civil?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, it all still feels like a bunch of bullshit; you know, "it's always something." However, as Ray said, at least your info made some damned sense. Thanks for passing that along.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, Ray1936, you're very much welcome.

I'm suspicious of big oil so I contribute to http://www.detroitgasprices.co m/ as best I can. They have a lot of resources there that help people build some intuition about the industry.

The most frustrating thing is the lack of information about reasons for price changes, so when I find some good information I pass it on.

Thanks to The Detroit News for that article.

(Sipping gas until next Friday.)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Ray, you might want to bookmark http://www.vegasgasprices.com/.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 776
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is more misinformation, wild speculative statements, and unfounded opinions on the various "gas price" topics on this forum than any other topic.

A good example is the post by Mauser765 above. Totally out in left field and every comment he makes is ridiculous.

A case in point is his statement that "we are burning 1000 barrels a second in Iraq." A thousand bbls a second is world consumption of 86 million bbls per DAY consumed throughout the world, a milestone that was passed in 2006.

See "A Thousand Barrels A Second" by Peter Tertzakian published in 2006 by McGraw-Hill. Anyone interested in the topic should read it, as well as several other well researched books on the oil business published in the last couple of years by people who know what they are talking about.

A friend called me from Chicago last night. He had to fill his rental car before taking it back to Midway. He said that every station on Cicero between I-55 and the airport (5 miles- ?) priced regular at $3.79 a gallon.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Want cheap gas? Move to Iran. Historically, through '05-'06, gas was around $.30 -$.35 per gallon. The price is subsidized by the government and has been for years. In fact, an influential segment of the parliament has been attempting to reduce the price to $.11 per gallon in order to maintain political power (not unlike the hugh and wasteful ethanol/corn farm subsidies in the U.S.) You've been reading about the recent unrest in Iran? Much of it has been caused by the government's successful efforts to increase the price of gas significantly.

Iran has big problems despite the fact it has huge crude oil reserves and it the 2nd or 3rd largest producer. It has limited refining capacity and not nearly enough to satisfy demand and therefore has to import a significant percentage of its refined petroleum products, including gas. It had a $4.5 billion deficit last year In that segment of the economy as a result of its lack of refining capacity.

Iran's unemployment is between 25% and 30% currently and its cost to produce oil is increasing rapidly, just like all mature producing regions including the U.S. For example, in Iran it cost in 2005 $7000/bbl to explore for new oil but $14,000/bbl to maintain existing production in older fields, from which the bulk of it's crude is produced.

90% of Iran's exports consists of petroleum products. Oil subsidies contribute to over 10% of its GDP.

Huge amounts of govt revenue goes to religious sects, the leaders of which lead lavish lifestyles and disburse the money like Chicago alderman to maintain political power. Much of the money goes to terrorists and ultra conservative Islamic organizations.

Iran has one of the most corrupt govts in the world and unrest there is growing rapidly.

Cheap gas. The grass is always greener.

(See "Oil On The Brain" by Lisa Margonelli published by Nan A. Talese div of Doubleday (Random House.)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing that this past Thursday gas prices were 35 cents lower at the gas station than the week before. What's the sorry excuse for why the price has dropped? Or better yet, what's the real sorry excuse for why it went up in the first place? Remember, a change of 35 cents in one week - seven cents change a day. This yo-yo crap has got to stop.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they raise the price 20 cents, then drop it 19, everyone thinks everything's fine and "back to normal." Then a few months later, prices have gone up 50 cents and no one noticed.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep people are already used to seeing $3 gas and not thinking about it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.