Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Mobile Recycling Facilities Kickoff Saturday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recycle Here! is launching the second phase of the new City of Detroit recycling service this weekend.

Each Saturday, Recycle Here! will be operating a mobile recycling facility in addition to the Recy-clean Drop Off Facility on Holden Street.

This weekend the Mobile facility will be located in Roosevelt park in front of the Michigan Central Depot. The hours will be from 10am 'til 2pm.

The mobile facilities are situated away from the center of Detroit in order to be more easily accessed.

The schedule is as follows:

First Saturday of the month at Farwell Recreation Center (Northeast)

Second Saturday of the Month at Roosevelt Park (Southwest)

Third Saturday of the Month at Christ the King Church in Rosedale Park (Northwest)

Fourth Saturday of the Month at the corner of Jefferson and Chalmers (Southeast)

We look forward to seeing you out.

The Recycling People

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great, but what are they accepting as recyclables?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cardboard, magazines, newspaper, mixed office paper, plastics #1 & #2, metal, styrofoam, brown glass, clear glass, green glass, grocery bags, and household batteries.

Please separate by commodity. ITEMS MUST BE CLEAN!

If you have questions, we will be happy to answer any questions at the sites. Stop in and talk to us.

the recycling people

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11629
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously need to stop in, as I got a trash bag full of probably a good 1,000 white plastic bags now.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop in. We will have coffee and T-shirts.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city that I live in takes #1 and #2 plastics also. Why don't they/you take the other number plastics? Can't they be recycled?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drop those plastic bags off at the daycare supersport, we will recycle them for sure!

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJK -

#1 and #2 plastics are the most used, and most recycled plastic.

Recycle Here! will be accepting CLEAN plastics #4 - #7 at the Holden Facility beginning this weekend. We do not accept #3 (PVC).

Please sort by combining #1 and #2 together and # 4 - # 7 together.

The Recycling People

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have come to the Holden street recycle center and had young people help me unload my car and then take all my stuff and separate it themselves. Much more service that I would expect. My question is should I tip those kids?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick question: Why isn't the plastic packaging for things like packs of CDs or harder plastic for small electronics normally recycled?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Answers -

You do not have to tip the kids. If you want to give them something, go ahead, but it is not required nor expected.

Shrink wrap (stretchy) is recyclable, but the rigid film is not, due to the non-uniformity of the material. There a numerous 'makeups' of this material, and with no regulatory stamping (i.e. no requirement to put a number on it) it would be impossible to recycle. We cannot recycle any plastic without a number.

Stop in this morning at one of the two centers and we will recycle your stuff, give you a t-shirt and a cup of coffee and answer as many of your questions as we can.

the recycling people

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woops. Missed the coffee and T-shirt. Any chance for me to make up a missed opportunity. Please tell me you will take electronics and CD's!!!!! With the amount of technology we burn through as consumers, there should be a deposit or some other financial incentive to get people to quit throwing out these toxic chemicals!!!

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will you be expanding your hours at the Holden facility to anything other than Wednesday 10-2 and Saturday 9-3?

I have a bunch of stuff to drop off but can rarely make those hours.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.