Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Motown to be highlighted on History Channel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Generation : Motown Airs on Friday July 20 06:30 PM

The songs of Motown created a soundtrack for the boomer generation. In this episode, Steve Gillon goes to Detroit, home of Hitsville, where such classics as "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" and "What's Going On" were born. We'll meet with legendary Motown artists that have impacted the world musically and socially, erasing the term "race music" from the American vocabulary. We'll also visit with today's top singers, songwriters and musicians to learn how the legacy of Motown influenced their sky-rocketing careers.

http://www.history.com/minisit e.do?content_type=Minisite_Epi sodes&content_type_id=51957&di splay_order=5&mini_id=51735

This should be an interesting program.
A little birdie told me there will be some historical footage of Detroit in the program.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 726
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exciting!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All within the space of a half hour, including commercials.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exciting!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 887
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll be the cultural equivalent of "How Its Made"! Complex mfg stuff distilled into mere minutes...

Psip

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets hope not, I did give the producer a link to this thread, maybe they will read it.
I know the show is "in the can". but I haven't seen it.

"How It's Made", yea, if there is nothing else on.
"The plastic is heated to 145.2 degrees. That is put aside and a rod of titanium is formed into a sphere. Then the 2 pieces and pressed together." WAIT what about making the sphere out of Titanium???? Thats a 2 hour program in itself!
Of course, that is on the Discovery channel.
History Channel is pretty good and fairly in depth.

(Message edited by PSIP on July 14, 2007)

Psip

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder that Friday, at 12:30PM and 6:30PM, this show will air on THC.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 713
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw this. Nice vintage clips. Interviews with a handful of former Motown stars, tour of Hitsville, but at 21 minutes it's way too short.

Psip

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was pretty good. It was way to short. I did think the historic footage was integrated very well. They did not dwell on the riot, but it was part of the story.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown and the preceding other "short" of Man Lands on the Moon integrated...Music and Lunar Landings in one word....use an Apollo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.