Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Air show over east detroit! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can see the sky over esat detroit and the pointes right now, there is a great show being put on by a military aircraft. check it out!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Air show at Selfridge this weekend.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 729
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this was some preparation then. It sure was a sight! I hope more pilots are out testing this afternoon.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the DYC on Wednesday for a dinner. It was said there will be an f-18 over the river for the boat races doing different stunts both Saturday and Sunday. He will fool around for about fifteen minutes or so over the Belle Isle area. Was told it was in celebration of Navy Week here in Detroit. They are trying to get the Blue Angels in the next couple of years, fingers crossed.

It was said he is practicing today.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More info:

The Navy's West Coast Super Hornet Demo Team will demonstrate maneuvers of one of the U.S. Armed Forces' most impressive aircraft, the FA-18.

Friday July 13th

12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Lunch & Possible Navy Fly Over

Saturday July 14th

1:40 p.m. - 2:10 p.m. Air Show (Autograph Session)
6:30 p.m. Air Show

(Message edited by yupislyr on July 13, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9631
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a fly-over a bit ago, probably an hour, it blew my mind.

Somebody must've been going to Selfridge, but they were LOW and LOUD.

Pretty cool, if I had known what they were in advance.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To set the record straight, The Selfridge Air Show is not this weekend. It is July 21 and 22. And it's free, too!

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the flyover. It was done for the hydro races which I was attending. It was the most awesome flyover I have ever seen. The announcer told about the aircraft and then announced each "trick" the pilot was going to do. I have no idea what the "tricks" were as I know virtually nothing about military aircraft but it was a great show. The jet flew faster than the speed of sound and the sonic boom set off everyone's car alarm. Awesome!

I have a very old and slow digital camera but I did manage capture the jet!

Ookpik

Detroitstar

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I'm from a major military family and I'm ashamed to not know this, but I too know nothing about the names of the maneuvers. My favorite though was when the pilot flew straight into the air and then spiraled back down right towards the earth. Even though I was about a mile away, it was still a great site to see...and loud.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on July 13, 2007)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 736
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he's baaack!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.