Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 3-D tponetom, Carrier Velocipedes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early forties:
Western Auto Stores sold the "Western Flyer" Model. It was easily the choice of many carriers because of the low price of $19.95. Incidentally, U. S. Royal made the premier bike tire. The Non-Skid, Whitewall tire with small horizontal slits in the tread to help eliminate skidding, especially on wet pavement. ($ 2.50 ea.) The second best was the "chain link" design in the tread./

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, Tp, it was the Hawthorne by Montgomery Wards that was the choice of carriers. Except for the rich ones that had Schwinns. The Western Flyer was used by kids delivering the shopping news.

(Just kidding! :-))

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhhh them is fighting words Ray :-)

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936.
You could very well be right because every neighborhood had its own icons to possess. There is a bike store here in town and I seen an array of bikes parked outside. There was a Schwinn, knee action in all of its glory. $ 495.00.
I just checked the Cost of Living Index. In 1940 it was 42.0. In 2005 it was 578.8. Nearly 1400 % increase, so a Shwinn for 500 isn't out of line.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a used Schwinn "Black Phantom" for $30 back in 1966 to use on my new and larger Free Press paper route. I had already opened a credit union account to hold my previous Macomb Daily paper route savings and when I went to withdraw the $30 I needed, the manager (who was also our next-door neighbor) suggested that I borrow it instead. I had the loan paid off in less than 60 days and that bike served me well over the next two years. However, once I quit the route and started driving it just sat in the garage and I eventually sold it. My next Schwinn purchase was a new, three-speed "Collegiate" in 1971 to use while I was away at college. I still have that bike, plus a Schwinn "Air-Dyne" that I rescued several years ago from a dumpster, but I wish that I had that "Black Phantom" instead!

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love the Western Auto. Mom used to take us there for toys as well as Woolworth.

<sigh>

Days gone by left never to return again.

the good rev

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Schwinn's with the speedometers were the best. How come kids bikes don't have speedometers anymore?

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or headlights lolol

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just remember how cool it was to peddle so hard and so long to try and get up to 15 mph. Thank god i didn't grow up San fran or Pittsburgh...i'm sure i would've broken my neck trying to get up to 45. Probably the reason they aren't standard issue anymore.

They do have some really awesome bike headlights out there though that are super simple to install. I definitely recommend the headlights and not the speedometer to those of you w/ kids.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.