Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Cedars of Lebanon: Columbia and Park Ave « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toeknowknee
Username: Toeknowknee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that Jjaba mentioned the Cedars of Lebanon, a Detroit nightclub my grandparents owned at one time. They sold it in the 70s and it became a jazz club. I am looking for any information, or even pictures, from people who may remember the Cedars. It was located behind the Fox theater on Columbia Street. They specialized in middle eastern food and entertainment which included many well known middle eastern musicians and dancers who performed there. I know they had a lot of regulars from Detroit, the suburbs, and even from Canada (mostly the Lebanese community in Leamington) so hopefully a couple people may have memories of this place. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

(Message edited by toeknowknee on July 14, 2007)

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cedars of Lebanon"

Interesting name, do you know why your parents picked that name for their nightclub.

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it was my grandparents, Norman and Mary Tononi, and they bought it from Danny Jacobs. Even though it was a "Middle Eastern" nightclub it was predominantly owned and run by Lebanese people like my grandmother. They didn't name it, but the cedars are the most famous trees in Lebanon, you'll even see one on the Lebanese flag.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That club used to be a big hangout for students from the DIT (look it up) their "campus" was the DPD building at Montcalm and Park, right behind the Fox garage. My friend told me of a night when his english prof. "Doc" McDougall got up on a table and recited the 19th century piece "Dangerous Dan McGrew" to an enraptured house. Doc had been a classically trained actor, did the whole NY thing and came back to Detroit, was "X" on WXYZ TV back in the 50's and was the voice/action behind snaggletooth (and other puppets)on Soupy's show.
He ended his career by teaching future engineers english (truly living hell on earth), many from foreign lands. He was not a stranger to distilled spirits, it took a metered amount to get through a day of teaching.
The night of this recitation the bar was hopping, loud din of the usual busy bar sounds.
Doc got up on the table, launched into his one man show and the place became silent save for his performance. He finished, the crowd picked right up where they left off.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My paternal grandfather is from Tripoli, Lebanon; which he left in 1912, he was 14 years old when he arrived in America.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5457
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toeknowknee, welcome to Forum. Hopefully, you'll get some answers.

jjaba remembers quite vividly that the dancers were Jewish girls from Mumford HS. Perhaps Sasha and Nadja, Afafa, and Jezebell were Lebanese on other nights. Their "stage" names at Mumford were Shelly Goldenberger, Rachael Kaplan, Brenda Finkelstein, and Ruthie Rabinowitz.

In our basements in NW Detroit, we would train them on new moves, how to drink with customers,
and work for tips. Between acts, they'd visit with Morty, Sauly, Shlomo, and jjaba. We had a table in the back and Danny gave us free Cokes for picking up the girls and safely getting them home in our Fords and Plymouths. Otherwise, he'd have to spring for cab fare. We were cheaper and more trusted.

Danny Jacobs was one of my guys. He has about as much Lebanese in him as does Henry Ford.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor on the Dexter Bus.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story Jjaba...my Dad mentioned the club...but that was even before your time, I think...early fifties....betcha you had nice memmories....he maybe gave you youngsters a ride on the cable cars....

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone.

I didn't think Jacobs sounded Lebanese, but you never know... my grandparents are Tononi but my Sitti's maiden name is Migala and her whole family was in there tending bar and rolling grape leaves.

I have just been dying to find pictures from the Cedars but my grandparents have no idea if they even have any. Perhaps I will find some pictures one day. I am the family snoop, always digging through old photos and asking my grandparents who's the cousin in the army uniform and whose porch is he on?

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny is 110% Lebanese. Was one of your Aunts
Edna? If so the cousin my be Gabe.

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edna is my great-grandmother. Haha...yes, usually it is either Uncle Gabe or his brother Jerry from before the war. You know the Migalas?

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Edna fed me many times.My first cousin
Jack and Gabe were good friends.I think they
were in the Army together.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.