Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Grant Family home for sale. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6200
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a sale going on the home of Tara and Steven Grant. You all probably remember that Tara Grant was murder by her husband and now he's awaiting trial. Lot's of people rushed into the estate not just to but their property but to pay their sympathy to the rest of the Grant family. I was wondering, Who been out the Grant Family home and what property did you have purchased? Or did you all went to the estate to show your sympathy? Your comments please.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sad

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Estate sale under way at Grant home

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I hate to pop off like this, Let this story go. It seems to me everyone is sensationalizing this story for more than its worth. Other murders don't get half the coverage of this one. It's very unfortunate what happened to those kids, but not anymore than those innocent kids that were gunned down in that Detroit house or any other recent murders. They weren't any more IMPORTANT than those other families.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can just imagine the Real Estate agent now...

.....And over here in the garbage we have a great little corner here thats great for storing your frozen turkeys or human torso's...

I mean seriously...who the hell would want to buy this house? Might as well raise it and build an Indian burial ground over it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somehow I got the impression that the house itself was not for sale, just some beds and snowblowers, etc. I could be wrong.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here's what I don't get:
Is it just Tara's stuff being sold? I heard on the radio earlier that the kids' toys and such was also on sale. Also, seeing how Mr. Grant is, in fact, still alive, some of the things in the house, and the house itself, still belongs to him, yet the article doesn't say anything about his involvement in this at all. So, selling Mr. Grant's stuff without his approval would be illegal even though he'll probably be in jail for life.

Edit: Oh, okay, I see where Mr. Grant has his right to the family's assets revoked.

(Message edited by clark1mt on July 15, 2007)

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the estate sale Saturday morning and EVERYTHING in the house is for sale! Including the children's toys and clothing. They were even selling the jars of spices and canned goods out of the cupboards. My friend bought a brown leather jacket of Stephens (I'm assuming) for only $5.00. Apparently Tara's sister is organized all this and the money is going into the children's trust fund.
The Estate Sale listing can be found here:

http://estatesales.net/Estate- Sales/view.aspx?SaleID=23304

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a guy on the news the other day walking out with a shovel. He said he bought it as a souvenir. I imagine the shovels and axes moved pretty quick.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I believe too much in karma, but to me buying these items is somehow morbid. I could not knowingly have possessions from that house in my house.

I understand trying to help the trust fund. But if it were me, I think I would set up a sale at some other house...just advertise it as an regular estate sale instead of having it at that house.

Rjk

Post Number: 778
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't her body cut up?
The link above says that they're selling a table saw and a portable saw. Even if there was no connection with the killing/disposing of the body it seems kind of creepy to buy these items, but even more to the point to sell them. I wonder how the transaction of the sale of some os these items went off, though my guess is that the family members weren't present at the sale. There's just no way I could buy any type of cutting device from this sale regardless of what type of deal I got on it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4835
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming there's going to be a murder trial, yes? So any items related to the murder would be states evidence, and not for sale. And wasn't she dismembered at the Steven Grant's fathers place of business? So if he choked her at home (or hit her with a blunt object), there would be little in that house in the way of evidence needed.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cincinnati Kid:

It's about them being more important...the story is just more newsworthy because it happened in an area that sees very little crime...it more shocking to a audience this way which makes it more interesting, and the news media is just giving its audience what it finds interesting...

If the grant's address had been south of 8 mile, you'd hear less about it b/c it would get lost in all the stories of crime coming out of detroit

Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Thejesus, but I disagree. I respect what you're saying, but in the grand scheme of things, they aren't more important. It doesn't matter where it happened either. As I'm quite sure you've noticed, more vicious crimes are happening in suburbia as well as in Detroit. Maybe it's because we've been conditioned to overlook the crime in Detroit, because it happens more often. But those innocent kids didn't deserve what happened to them either. I just think those kids should have got just due coverage as that idiot who mutilated his wife. They spent all of 2 days on that story, while we were hearing about Tara Grant on a daily basis.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole thing is pretty morbid to me. There are estate sales every single day, WHY is this a news story? Obviously there is sensationalism around the whole story, but can we please let it go now?

Rjk

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CinKid, if a station manager ran his news like you suggest he'd be out of a job within 6 months. It's about getting viewers, not making sure news events get equal amounts of attention.

This area is around 80% white and more people can relate more closely to the people involved in the Grant case than the case that you mentioned.

Also I've heard that the majority of people who watch the local news are woman and a husband killing his wife will always be a big story among females.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If the grant's address had been south of 8 mile, you'd hear less about it b/c it would get lost in all the stories of crime coming out of detroit"

How many stories instances of a husband chopping his wife up in pieces have happened south of 8 Mile?

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Heart!! It's the way the crime was carried out and the brutally disgusting nature of it that puts it all over the news. North or South of 8 mile and it would have got the same coverage.

Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brutally disgusting nature of it? What makes you think that those kids weren't brutally murdered?
Getting shot point blank in the head isn't brutal enough? I understand this sicko just dismembered his wife, but c'mon. The real reason is that they were white. That's the reason for the outstanding coverage of this sick ass story. You know it as well as I do. Be true to yourselves.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree. This is not a race issue. This is a class/geography issue.
If this were some white dude from Brightmoor, or Southwest, or downriver, do you honestly think it would receive this kind of coverage ad nauseum?
On the same note, if this were some black family from cookie cutter suburbia, it would receive similar coverage to whats going on now.
The factors are: the grotesque nature of the crime, the seeming astonishment that something like this happened in a community that was perceived to be safe, and the family involved.
By that I mean, if they were trailer trash, this would have been a short, "endearing" segment followed by Murray's Money Savings tips after a short commercial break.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not comparing it to the kids that were killed. The comment was made that had this happen south of 8 mile there would not be as much coverage if barely any. I was agreeing with Iheartthed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.