Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Inside the Hotel Vermont « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a good website that has pics of the Hotel Vermont taken before it was demolished a couple of months ago.

Enjoy!

http://brnation.d2sector.net/u e/detroit_michigan_hotel_vermo nt.html

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked the Little Caesars Pizza box in one of the photos.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photos. I always wondered what the inside of that place looked like. I'm happy someone took the time to get inside to snap some pictures and post them.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WoW! talk about making a few bucks on Ebay. I certainly hope you did not pass up all those treasures.

the good rev
Wonderful info by the way

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful but gut-wrenching pictures of the Hotel Vermont, especially touching are the old family photos left behind in a room.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinewood73, I like your work, a potag after my own heart. Thank you for taking the last shots of a building that now only exists in cyberspace. It is sad how easily such a Detroit time capsule is discarded into the heap. I have to ask: did you save anything? The Vermont calendar caught my eye, as well as the photos in the drawer. I have been collecting scads of these discarded photos over the years. It is so sad when what was once so important to someone is so easily thrown out. Thanks again for the fine photo essay, and you’re caring enough about it to take the time. If you ever need back-up...

Pinewood73

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,

Thanks for the comments, but I can't take the credit.

I was just surfing the net trying to find articles on the Hotel Vermont when I found the website.

Everytime I went to a Tiger game at Comerica, I always wondered what that place looked like inside. I'm glad someone took the time and took some great photos.

By the way, there are many other picture sets on the main page.

Packard Plant, Fisher Body, Film Exchange Building, Michigan Central Station and many others.

http://brnation.d2sector.net/d etroit_ue.htm

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 825
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pinewood73. Waaaay friggin' cool! These cats are like thieves in the night, except they don't seem bent on steeling anything. I like it!

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hotel Vermont - Back in the day.

Ookpik

Revaldullton

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I did'nt realize you had more to share with us. Very nice work documenting lost cities structures.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um Pinewood, just one more thing. I noticed in many of your photographs that there is asbestos all around these buildings in really porr condition and more than likely you are breathing airborne particles due to this.

You can purchase an inexpensive half face 3m respirator from any hardware but be sure that the filters are NIOSH & OSHA APPROVED for asbestos fibers.

A lead paint attachment to those filters would do some good also

Just fyi , your health is important as is your work.

the good rev

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interior shots have the appearance of long term squatter / homeless camps I have encountered over the years. If they are secure enough for long term habitation as these appear to be, they get personalized, just like any bedroom... become home. That makes them very touching, sad and happy all at once, each one telling a story.

Here is the Vermont / Tremont in Oct. 2002.

Hotel Vermont Detroit

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 642
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I just spent the last hour looking at pictures. Way cool site.

Thanks for sharing Pinewood!

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet site! Real good pictures and captions.

Too bad a great old place like that couldn't be saved but like he said "Mike Illitch tends to favour demolishing buildings quick so that no one gets in his way"...

Keep the red wings at the JOE!!!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ookpik and Lowell. Nice companions to the above. Ookpik, we need more of "Where is this..." stuff. I miss the fun!

Pinewood73

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revaldulton,

Thanks for your concern, I can't take credit for the Vermont Pictures on that website, but I can for this pic that I took before the 2005 All-Star Game at Comerica.

Thanks Ookpik and Lowell for your pics.

One thing I always wondered was why does it say "Hotel Tremont" on the side?

In Ookpik's earlier picture is says "Hotel Vermont"

BTW- Ookpik that would've been wayyyyy too easy for this forum to guess that pic (lol).

Revaldullton

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinewood glad to hear. Just for future reference,most times%99 of the time when you see that ratty white cloth insulation on or white cardboard insulation on pipes it is asbestos.

On boilers also. Another common form of friable asbesto is spray on fire proofing such as on steel beams, columns and ceilings.

Its always handy to have a half way decent respirator with you.

Please Keep the photos coming. Your site is great.

the good rev

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and more than likely you are breathing airborne particles due to this."

you can see the airborne particulate in the photos.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ouch, that I didnt notice

the good rev

Wolverine

Post Number: 348
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang people, read what people type to avoid confusion. Pinewood has clarified 3 times already.

Furthermore, let asbestos be the least of the worries when going in abandoned buildings. So many people fret over minor asbestos exposure as some life threatening situation when the higher risks are mold or getting cut and having an infection, or encountering so

Revaldullton

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read what he wrote. I am only giving him advice on what to avoid when he personally does his own exploring. And others.
And thanx for adding the mold. That completely slipped my mind.

that is all.
goodnes gracious

the good rev

(Message edited by revaldullton on July 15, 2007)

Wolverine

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about him constantly being credited for that website, which he has continuously denied.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read on a Newfoundland "Ruins/ Exploration" site that pigeon droppings are also really bad news. They can apparently release toxic spores if the droppings are disturbed after a long period. I can't remember the address of the site where I saw this.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, pigeon droppings are toxic
good catch
forgot about that also.

any others?

the good rev

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.