Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit to Shanghai/Beijing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northwest Airlines Announces Bid for U.S.-China Nonstop Service
Northwest to seek new rights for Detroit-Shanghai and Detroit-Beijing

EAGAN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Northwest Airlines (NYSE:NWA) today filed with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for new rights to operate Detroit and Shanghai as well as Detroit and Beijing nonstop service. Northwest’s application is in response to the DOT’s invitation to carriers interested in using the rights that are available under the landmark new aviation agreement with China.

DOT plans to award six new routes that become available to China between 2007 and 2009.

“Northwest wants to begin new service to China just as soon as possible,” said Doug Steenland, Northwest president and chief executive officer. “Northwest’s WorldGateway hub at Detroit offers an unmatched combination of broad network coverage of the entire Eastern half of the United States, convenient direct routings, and a new, state-of-the art terminal facility.”

“Northwest would provide attractive connecting service to China from more than 100 U.S. cities. If the DOT wants to benefit the most U.S. passengers and the most U.S. cities, Northwest is the clear first choice,” added Steenland.

The DOT plans to award the routes in an expedited fashion. DOT has indicated a preference for a new entrant carrier in 2007, but remains open to other options. “Northwest is ready to start flying right away,” said Neal Cohen, Northwest executive vice president – strategy and international. Northwest would use Boeing 747-400 aircraft for Detroit to Shanghai service, if selected for a 2007 award. “We’re prepared to respect the DOT’s wishes, but we think the public and the DOT should have a choice. Northwest would accept China frequencies in either or both years.”

If selected for 2009 service, Northwest plans to use Boeing 787 Dreamliners for both routes. Northwest is the North American service launch customer for the 787, a fuel-efficient aircraft that will usher in a new era of customer comfort and convenience. The 787 will be one of the most environmentally-friendly planes in the sky.

Customers are invited to register their support for Northwest’s new China service by going to www.nwatochina.com.

Northwest Airlines is one of the world’s largest airlines with hubs at Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, Tokyo and Amsterdam, and approximately 1,400 daily departures. Northwest is a member of SkyTeam, an airline alliance that offers customers one of the world’s most extensive global networks. Northwest and its travel partners serve more than 900 cities in excess of 160 countries on six continents.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May as well. Everything I buy lately says "Made in China" anyway.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Customers are invited to register their support for Northwest’s new China service by going to www.nwatochina.com."

Think these things really work? Like do they need a certain number of signatures to even be considered, or is NWA just gonna send me a bunch of junk mail?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, I hope we get this.

I love DTW. What miracle of things gone good in a city where so much is bad.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northwest operated direct flights to Beijing from the mid-1990s until 2001 or 2002. I guess since they pulled out they now have to go to the end of the line and apply for the route like everyone else.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northwest still operates direct flights to Beijing. They are asking for a direct flight from Detroit to SHANGHAI. Currently you have to fly direct from Chicago or make a stop in Tokyo if you fly from Detroit.

(Message edited by sparty06 on July 17, 2007)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3388
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I suppose every flight is direct, isn't it? Northwest flies direct to Beijing...from Tokyo. I guess I should have been clearer in my last post: Northwest operated direct flights from Detroit to Beijing until 2001.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4865
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK... now I'm confused... do we or do we not still have direct flights from Detroit to Beijing?

If not, did NW give up that direct route to some other carrier in another city, or?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8737
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps we should differentiate:

I've always thought that

"non-stop" means just that (best)

"direct" flights made one or more stops but no change of planes (better)

"connecting" means a change of planes at an intermediate city (least desireable)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4866
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Karl, gotcha!

So did we ever have non-stop fights to Beijing at one time? Or only direct flights via Tokyo to Beijing?

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit > Tokyo > Beijing is the route I flew via NWA. Changed planes at Narita.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.