Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New Detroit B&B « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/whitehouse10207.a spx

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 727
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been a B&B before. I have an 1998 edition of American and Canadian Bed & Breakfasts and it's mentioned in there. It's the only Detroit listing for that time period. I don't have a scanner at home, so I'll transcribe: (name of the place is not mentioned, only a reference where to make reservations)

Towering porch pillars and 10-foot entrance doors of etched glass are impressive as guests approach this mansion built in 1905, only one-half block from the Detroit River, close to Detroit's beloved Belle Isle. The interior features elegant plastering, oak woodwork and floors, antique furnishings, and state-of-the-art amenities. Breakfast of fresh fruit and home-baked goods. Eight bedrooms in Victorian decor, all with private baths. A third-floor suite exudes romance with artistic murals and spacious hot tub. $60-115 - end of entry.

It's in my neighborhood, I've driven by many times, it does look like something from Gone with the Wind. The building next door is very impressive too. Glad to hear these news.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4852
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, the original owner of the Blanche House died of cancer, so it was put on the market. The "castle" next door was originally also supposed to be part of the complex, and work was begun, but it was never completed. That castle house is even larger and more ornate than the "White House". Hope something good becomes of it as well.

When the Blanche House was opened, it was likely the only B&B open. Now we also have the Inn at Ferry Ave., and possibly some in Corktown as well.

Like I said, glad the old gal is brought back to life, now just praying that the larger castle next door is brought back to life as well.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Castle next door was a banquet facility for a while but the owners ran into trouble over, you guessed it, parking issues. They still own the building but moved the catering business to Southfield.

(Message edited by Crew on July 17, 2007)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now we also have the Inn at Ferry Ave., and possibly some in Corktown as well.

And also 97 Winder.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the woodbridge star on trumbull...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is 97 Winder the one in Brush Park?? If not, there is one there too that looks very nice

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup thats 97 winder in BP

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a second Winder St. B&B:

234 Winder St. Inn...a 6-room bed and breakfast inn.

http://www.234-winderstinn.com /

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.