Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tasco « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 708
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody here know anything about local artist Tasco? He specialized in chalk portraits of Detroit sports figures, which he sold prints of. In the late 60s-early 70s I used to see him at Universal City and the Macomb Mall at his easel, sketching people for a few dollars.

willie

Willie Horton

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He lived in my neighborhood when I was growing up. He used to show up everywhere, cranking out caricatures of everyday people and local celebs.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 709
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,
Where did you grow up? Do you remember Tasco's first name?

56packman

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lived in NE Livonia, moved from NW Detroit when I was 10. I want to say his name was Art. This would have been in the early 70's

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got about a dozen of his prints (Lions and Bears) somewhere in my basement. It's been years since I've looked at them but Karras, Barney, Munson, Sayers and Butkus are the ones I can remember.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a calendar of his work sponsored by Little Caesars from about '74 that had a different sports celeb for each month. I think the Willie Horton pic shown above was in it. I believe it ended up in the trash, though. I haven't seen it in years.

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tasco's first name was Irv. He lived on Weyher in Livonia,in the subdivision near 8 Mile and Middlebelt

56packman

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hearthstone Sub--S. of 8 mile between Middlebelt and Grand River. Thanks for the correction/nudge on his name Official_Birdbath, little things like that tend to get fuzzy after 35 years. I lived on Brentwood, went to school with his son Randy.

Welcome to the forum

Ed_golick

Post Number: 710
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, 56packkman and Official_birdbath.

Birdbath, do you still have your Birdbath card?

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure do Ed!, Bage Too. I lost the magic slate.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.