Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Downtown residents say construction dust makes them sick « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DETROIT -- More than 20 downtown residents, most of them disabled and senior citizens, complained to City Council this morning that dust and other debris from the Book Cadillac Building project is making them sick.

In response, Councilwoman JoAnn Watson, head of council's Neighborhood and Community Services Committee, ordered a public hearing involving the heads of the city's health, planning and building and safety departments.

"Too often people come to make money in Detroit but they don't care about the community," she said.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070717/UPDAT E/707170415/1003

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See the Book Cadillac thread.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too often people come to make money??? She can't be serious...people don't come to Detroit to make money enough and that is the problem...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet. Another law suit a-brewin...

I am sure that some of them also complained that it was too noisy and interfered with watching the Price is Right.

Way to look out for the best interest of the city JoAnn.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2865
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do they need to hold hearings? Can't they just tell the Contractor to get their damn dust under control? Seems to work on every project I've worked on.... I guess it's too easy to solve this problem without creating an enormous public controversy, huh?

More posturing by City Council. Outstanding.

93typhoon
Username: 93typhoon

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The dust is everywhere. My doctor says I have bronchitis. This isn't fair," said Deborah Davis, 59, who pays $137 a month to live in the Griswold Building"

Why was it necessary to tell us how much she pays in rent? It has nothing to do with the story?

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like it's a few of the 'community' that is looking to make money....

Maybe they know that their rent is going to go up once the Book-Cady is completed, and they are looking for a little extra cash now.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you are next door to a major construction site, and only paying $137/month. That's the sort of shit that happens.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6230
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you all don't the progress that is going on at the Book-Cadillac Hotel, then just leave or just pardon their deadly toxic asbestos coated dust.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2667
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Davis said simple fixes, like making sure the construction debris is covered with tarps or that work areas are hosed down with water, might work.

That doesn't sound too difficult or expensive to do. Is there some reason that wouldn't work?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, you're a senior citizen living on a fixed income in the apartment you've lived in for years, and all of a sudden a major project starts up next door and people act like you aren't even there. Or worse, automatically assume you are out to make a quick buck. That's really nice.

It doesn't look to me like she wants anything other than an end to the construction dust:

quote:

Davis said simple fixes, like making sure the construction debris is covered with tarps or that work areas are hosed down with water, might work.

Have any of you ever lived in an area where a major construction project started up next door? Trust me, the noise alone is unpleasant enough without dust and crap coming in your home.

I think it's a little cavalier to say these lower-income downtown residents don't have a right to voice their complaints - or have an elected representative act on those complaints - because a hotel and residence for rich people is going in next door.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes when we walk past the Shelby, the stench is unreal. I have assorted lung problems, and I have to walk way around it some evenings.

Jimaz, it's the law to wrap a building like that during renovations. It's also the law to protect your workers in the building. It's common to see construction workers walking in and out with NO PROTECTION.

Who needs a stinking OSHA? Regulations are for pussies!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6232
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..and lot's of people especially the construction workers will be sicker quicker.

It's LAWSUIT TIME.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the income levels have nothing to do with it.

I have, however, seen Ms. Watson grandstanding enough to cast immediate speculation on anything that she stands behind.

She is a disgraceful "voice of the people" and the second she is involved in any issue, it causes the burden of proof in my mind to shift to whatever side she is supporting.

Living in the central business district of an 800k person city has certain inconveniences. Rich or poor. Doesn't matter.

One of those is (or should be in any healthy city) noise and the accompanying discomfort associated with construction.

Traffic is another.

As is lack of parking...

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After I saw them throwing chunks of plaster out of the Fort Shelby, letting them splinter into shreds on the sidewalk where the particles then spun into the air.

After seeing that, I'm giving the Fort Shelby an even wider berth than I have in the past ...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is true, Dabirch, and it's not just the poor folk who are feeling the effects. Plenty of new, richer residents on Merchant's Row are surely annoyed by this as well.

I live a block from where the former Frieze Building stood in Ann Arbor. The demolition, for some reason, took 3-4 months and was extremely loud and dusty. They have been digging a huge hole in the ground this summer for a new quad, and this has spread dust and dirt anywhere the wind blows it. People in the neighborhood pay 300-1000 per person per month for rent. It sucks that they started tearing shit up after we all signed our leases, but that's just the way it is.

(Message edited by mackinaw on July 17, 2007)

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived downtown for a couple years now, and I'll gladly take some noise and dust to have a re-birthed first class city in the future.... Also, I expect to hear the garbage truck's reverse-beeper at 6am while it's emptying the dumpster in the alley, and the street sweeper to go by at 4am, and firetruck sirens all hours of the day and night, traffic noise, etc.... I chose to live downtown, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And I'm sure New York and Chicago construction is dust and noise free... how do they do it???? ....lol.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The few must sometimes be sacrificed for the good of the many."

-- Magister Theoctistus

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just be glad that construction is only a temporary state, and it does end at some point.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 972
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have any of you ever lived in an area where a major construction project started up next door? Trust me, the noise alone is unpleasant enough without dust and crap coming in your home.

That's probably what your neighbors said when your home was being built.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Too often people come to make money in Detroit..."
THEY DO???
Yeah, what a huge problem we have, way too many investors, crowding up this city!
There's just no place for poor folks anymore!
And its not fair that these downtown residents have things like dust around as a result of these money grubbers. After all, the rest of the city is pristine.

Hey, JoAnn, what about the streetlights that are always off, what about the police who never come? The piles of bulk trash everywhere? The unkempt city parks?
Oh, right, we'll just ignore all that while you play high-profile public defender for the cameras...

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

water mists can keep the dust down, the contractor will get it right.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2673
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

water mists can keep the dust down

This is true. In Phoenix, construction sites are required to mist to avoid spreading Coccidioidomycosis.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah exactly Deteamster.. Jesus H.. would the city council actually address a real concern in the neighborhoods? Seriously it amazing me how the city council can NEVER focus on the real issues in the city.. UNLESS there is a kickback to them from the city.. corruption..

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging from some of the elitist responses in this thread you'd think they'd asked that the project be stopped. All they asked is construction crews do a better controlling dust Of course because the residents are low-income they have no right to complain and be subjected to any condition in the name progress

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.