Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Woman in wheelchair struck by stolen vehicle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070717/NEW S01/70717045&theme=GEOCAROUSEL

I was walking up to get my groceries when I saw this mess at Warren and the Lodge.
And this, in a "safe" area of the city.
I wish those punks would get an example made of them and make other little thugs think twice. Too bad they didn't go flying through the windshield.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't we introduce caning in this country for little pieces of sh*t like them?
People have to be getting tired of hearing stories like this. Time to smack some sense into some people.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they can hang witches in the 1600 's within public view in Salem for their beliefs, why cant we have the same for punks like this

Poor lady, shes on a ventilator and as usual, the 14 and 16 year old will draw sympathy from the babies families and parade them in front of the camera as ' good" boys who made one mistake.......

Im sure they will be out with a few years because of their age....... Jane

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's awful! I had a 3pm class in the Physics building that several people were late to on the account of the road bing shut down for this incident. No one had any idea what had happened though. Mowed down while on the side walk minding her own business. What can you do? Try these stupid kids as adults? I guess, but it's only a small conciliation in exchange for this lady's life.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 781
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the guess on how these punks (age 14/16) will be charged? Even if the woman dies will they still be let out at 21?

Deteamster

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could use Ford Auditorium for public executions.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9554
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Diehard. Corporal punishment given to the fuck-tards would do wonders for our society.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is George Bush’s' fault. The National Guard should have been there to stop those little children from accidentally running into the wheel chair woman. But no, they were killing and raping innocent men women and babies in a peaceful country far, far away. Oh, the humanity…

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bush and Cheney also told them to steal the car and run it into someone because chances are, all are democrats and he wanted a conspiracy demonizing democrats.

Deteamster

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The f*ck is with those last two posts?
Update: the woman just died.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, isn't this one of the "safest" and "up and coming areas" in Detroit? I read the Detroit papers online daily. The enormous amount of "hit and run" pedestrian injuries and DEATHS is absolutely appalling considering the current population count in Detroit. One year in an urban area with 5 times the population of Detroit and I haven't even witnessed one pedestrian incident yet. I've read of a couple in the past year but they were all on "that side of town" which equates to all of Detroit. You see, the motor vehicles here have to stop at red lights, drive at a speed at least somewhere near the posted limit and yield to pedestrians whether they're in the roadway or on the sidewalk - something Detroit should consider enforcing. And, Dearborn is not "racist" because these LAWS are enforced including the requirement to have a license plate displayed on an automobile.

God help all of you that can't pick yourselves up and get out.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you read the freep comments?

I don't know if there are as many racists in any other location than those freep forums.

Stories like this really get em going.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read some them, the freep boards are like going to a Klan rally

Funny no talk of Detroiters or the suspect in a similar sububran crime being "savages"

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070716/NEWS02/ 70716001/1004

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is seriously something in the air this week in the city. I don't know if it has anything to do with the nearly approaching anniversary of the "uprising/riots". Neighborhoods burning to the ground, spikes in violent crime...

We call this a safe part of town, and I believe it is, but I also receive the WSU monthly crime reports and am appaled at the number and types of crimes that occur just in the WSU vacinity alone.

There is no doubt in my mind that domestic terrorism is taking foot in this country and it is in the form of wreckless murders and careless crimes such as the one today. You can turn on the TV and watch who was the most recent murder victim and the victim's family members being interviewed don't even show emotion anymore as if it's just a part of life.

Pretty sad.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woman died....

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJR news reports the death occurred after a "police chase". The WSU police deny they chased the bad guys, but were waiting for them when they lost control of the stolen vehicle they were driving.
Jury question.

Goat

Post Number: 9556
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO they can't chase criminals The_rock? It is the fault of the police?

Diehard

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*sigh* I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody blamed the police for trying to catch the little punks.
Cane 'em. Then lock 'em away with their butts still bleeding.
Interesting term, RocketCity: "domestic terrorism." Except there's no "cause" these kinds of people are trying to defend. They're just destructive, greedy, lazy, worthless human trash.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being an old ( defense) trial lawyer, I support our cops, and ,yes, they can ( and do) chase bad guys. And they catch 'em, too!!
The problem with these police chases is that quite often an innocent motorist is struck and injured/killed by the police car or the fleeing car, and juries have often sided with the innocent driver and against the cops. There have been some pretty sizeable awards against police departments, and some departments call off their chases quickly as a matter of policy. Our office has been burned a couple of times defending the Dearborn police department on these type of lawsuits.Plaintiff attys argue that the chase was "unreasonable", the cops should have called off the hunt earlier, etc. And juries often buy those arguments.
I just hope that the tv coverage shown yesterday is correct, i.e. that the WSU cops had not even given chase. Otherwise, there is a good possibility of litigation on this tragic event. The plaintiff is completely innocent of any blame, she was confined to a wheel chair, the sympathy factor is very much on her side. Stay tuned.

Diehard

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's entirely possible, if the woman was in front of University Plaza, that WSU cops were just waiting there. Let's hope the blame stays where it belongs.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of cities have crash policies where they will use the police cars to force a crash of the eluding suspect. I recall going to a City of Southfield auction and seeing totalled cop cars for this reason. Risking a few $30K patrol cars to avoid loss of life and ultimately million dollar lawsuits seems like a viable answer to the out of control high speed chases on crowded streets.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The kids were 14 and 16, right? I doubt they had any drivers training- it would seem very plausible that they took off too fast out of excitement after stealing the car and simply lost control. The car was stolen from a service drive and crashed less than two blocks away. Unless the police saw what they were doing and were waiting for them, there would not have been time for a chase.

Goat

Post Number: 9568
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock, and therein lies the problem with the current judicial system. if a criminal flees the police they should have their rights forfeited. Anyone caught in the middle who is hurt should have the right to go after the CRIMINAL, not the police!
Maybe if we as a population were more vocal and demanding of how criminals are processed or what is actually right and wrong, maybe these lawsuits and those disgusting lawyers that attack the small cracks in the judicial system (and the damned judges who award them) may go away.
Nothing like an ambulance chaser to destroy the credibility of the law and those who fight for it.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the strong moral stance there GOAT, but you are painting in broad strokes.

The person injured does have the RIGHT to go after the criminal just as the prosecutor has the responsibility to prosecute the criminals for their behavior. However, in a civil action against criminals in a case similar to this the plaintiff would need a whole lot of good luck to get hospital bills or funeral costs out of a broke 14 year old and his probably poor family.

Are you suggesting that Police be free from lawsuits? Like it or not, police sometimes make mistakes, or act with unnecessary force or aggression.

I'm not suggesting that this is the current situation, just pointing out that your moral estimation of the Judicial System in America breaks down when you change the facts of the case.

So you can go ahead and make police immune from civil lawsuits, but inevetably you will be left with situations where the victims of criminal behavior are left bearing the burdens of a police officer's mistake.

Goat

Post Number: 9572
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that police make mistakes and can and should be sued when they have done something wrong (like breaking the law)but to go after a criminal and the result is a car crash, how or why should the police be held responsible? Regardless if the interstate or road is busy they should be allowed to pursue the criminal until they catch them. The onus being on the fleeing individual.
Sadly, people will be in the wrong place at the wrong time but that doesn't mean just anyone should pay. If the criminal can't afford to pay the true victim why should the tax payer be held accountable?
I don't know what the answer is but lawsuits against the police for pursuing a criminal is the wrong way to go about it.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about stings? Some police agencies use bait cars as a way to arrest more car thieves. These bait cars are programmed to quit running via a remote control.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But they don't force people to steal cars. People choose to steal cars. Whether the car is a beater, a Benz or a rimmed out bait Escalade, the choice rests with the criminal. Wouldn't it be great if all cars could quit via remote control!

Cambrian

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the bait cars would cause some to think twice before they decided to steal.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phoenix had a really bad problem with car theft a few years ago. I think it has something to do with the proximity of the Mexican border. So they started using those bait cars and apparently it worked very well. At least that's what was reported in the paper.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully we will hear from the Prosecutors Office that these 2 a__holes will be charged as adults.

I found out both juveniles were already on Probation and the ones phone had a text message on it telling him what kind of vehicle they needed to get. This tells me they were part of a organized car theft ring. They should also charge their parents!!!

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Free Press these idiots will be charged as adults.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070723/NEWS02/ 70723016

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The two juveniles...ran into Value Pizza & Deli in the University Shopping Plaza on Warren, where WSU police took them into custody."

They didn't get out to check on the woman they just plowed into...they ran away and tried to hide in a restaurant...

and they were both already on probation...totally worthless f*cking animals...I hope they get the shit beat out of them in prison for this...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.