Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Quicken Loans HQ to be on Detroit River front :-( « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

exactly what I did not want to see happening. Having Quicken building a brand new HQ on the river front.
Not only are we waisting so much precious land where we can build an organic residential/entertainment & bustling neighborhood, but we are not refurbishing the tons of empty buildings we have.

I hope Crains Detroit is wrong. But they do seems very confident.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0716/SUB/707150317

PS. I can't edit the title! Only the text!

(Message edited by frenchman_in_the_d on July 18, 2007)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a little late with this one...see the quicken thread

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3256
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read the story it merely reports that GM pitched the site, described on the other thread, to Quicken. Beyond this, the story makes clear that this idea is not the most likely one to actually happen. Even the GM General Manager of economic development believes that the city-owned sites will be the likely winners.

Don't scare me with that sort of thread title!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, not something we would want to hear.

Crain has been wrong before.

I could see the stupid looks on Karmanos' and Ilitch's face if this plan actually fell into place.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"George Jackson Jr., president of Detroit Economic Growth Corp., acknowledged that Quicken had been approached about the riverfront site, but he predicted that Gilbert would prefer a location not in the shadow of a major corporation. “He is talking about making a 'transformational' move,' Jackson said."

In other words, a riverfront location would only be another site on the list.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 17, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without reading the article or the other threads....

I'm all for it, if they tear down Cobo Arena, Cobo Hall, or Ford Auditorium :-)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt Quicken would stick their company logo down below in the shadow of the GM square. I'd also doubt they would stick it on top of a building that rose taller than the GM logo. A building of that height next to Ren Cen would look silly. Especially in the corporate sense.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a story...don't worry about it.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you're right Quinn... I really do...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there is some upside to this happening... It would certainly give some more confidence and credibility to the multiple riverfront condos slated to go up. It could speed along these projects, and help to create some more...

However, I still support the Statler site, and that's where I think it will end up going.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that falls through. The river should be for residents. <313>

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uhhhhhh...

Quicken moving downtown is a good thing no matter where they put it.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care, I'm still waiting on Qwiggen (LMFAO).

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw: You took the words right out of my mouth.

Still, Grand Circus Park area needs MAJOR movement.

Quinn

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got no inside information, believe me Frenchman. I just follow logic.

1. I think Quicken will move downtown.
2. I think Gilbert wants to make a difference.
3. I don't think Quicken/Rock (throw in all the ancillary businesses) has what it takes to make as big an impact (or difference) on the river as they want (like GM did).
4. The place where they, at their relatively small size, can make an impact is most likely Statler (yes I still like Hudson's best...or Monroe).

I just think the river is fanciful reporting on the part of Crains.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fanciful implies false, and there's nothing false about George Jackson pitching the riverfront site to Gilbert. The reporting is actually spot-on.

It's the reading comprehension around here that needs help.

Quinn

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice way to make it personal Bumble.

Since you're so apt to point out my reading comprehension, maybe you won't mind me pointing out the fact that George Jackson is working for Statler and Hudsons sites, and that it is GM (through Matt Cullen) who pitched the riverfront site.

It's a fanciful report with a fanciful title that simply mentions, in passing, that "oh ya GM also pitched this site."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone needs to rename this thread. Very misleading.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the article says that they were PITCHED on moving downtown, this is FAR from a final decision. If anything this is good news, because it looks like Quicken is pretty sure their new office will be here and not Cleveland.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the land originally set aside for Compuware that they never built.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumble is correct, the whole title of this read is a mis-reading of a straightfoward news story based on facts that tell us nothing about where Quicken is moving. It has nothing to do with the fancies of Crain's. It is not an editorial.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Admin: Please rename this thread title to "Riverfront site pitched to Quicken", or something with some level of factual accuracy, unlike the current title.

Quinn

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Frenchman can rename it if he started the thread...no? I've renamed threads before.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4870
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumble, here's a little bit of a history lesson as well... a few years ago George Jackson was publicly bitching that the Book Cadillac would have been torn down by then had preservationists not meddled in its' demise...

As downtown business owners on this forum can attest to, George Jackson doesn't always talk out of the same orifice all the time...

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Gistok

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez French, nothin' like makin us get our collective panties in a bundle. You made it sound like the plan was final!

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bumble, here's a little bit of a history lesson as well... a few years ago George Jackson was publicly bitching that the Book Cadillac would have been torn down by then had preservationists not meddled in its' demise...

LOL, That's one of the biggest pieces of revisionist history I've ever heard. The save the BC people were the biggest pain in the ass to the person who actually put the deal together. They caused far more issues than they solved in the ongoing deal for the BC.

Gistok

Post Number: 4872
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies... I'm talking pre-development (before even Kimberly-Clark). And NOT during the Kimberly-Clark and Ferchill development negotiations era...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm mildly surprised over all the flap on this board over Quicken Loans. I know any job influx into the city is highly desired, but Quicken is just another mortgage company among hundreds. Don't seem like that big a deal to me.

Somebody make me eat my words. Please.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's not good enough that they just move in to the city, now they have to move somewhere everyone approves of.

I wonder why more businesses don't move in to the city?

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Jz_detroit
Username: Jz_detroit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...Quicken Loans is not just another mortgage company. They are the largest online lender in the United States. The largest face to face lender in Michigan and the 13th largest mortgage company in the United States. They are the number 1 company to work for in Michigan by numerous magazines and organizations. Fortune magazine rates them in the top 20 companies to work for. #1 company to work for in IT by Computer World Magazine. They have a strong presence in our community including Bizdom U at Wayne State, The DIFF campaign they have launched, The Junior Achievement program, working with the Pistons and their connections, giving back to our community...and when I say OUR COMMUNITY, I MEAN DETROIT...suburbs or city you are DETROIT...from Allen Park to Oak Park...you are DETROIT. Quicken is one of the few companies we have that care, that actually understand WE are a REGION and not a separation of city/suburb. How would that look when the #1 company in IT decides on Detroit for a location? Others will follow and that is why it is a BIG DEAL.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3266
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Jz said.

And even if they were a dime-a-dozen corporation, it would still be a huge flap if they took the initiative to build a HQ in Detroit. That was the case with Compuware. Not an amazing company, but they changed the landscape of downtown, and the attitudes of many, with their move.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey guys, I just edited my post with a PS. but I can't edit the title thread though.

Sorry for all the confusion, but I got scared just as many of you did after reading Crains' article...

Sorry for the misleading title... I got mislead too...

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. It happens to everyone.:-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the enlightenment, Jz and Mackinaw. I thought it was just one of zillions of fly-by-night mortgage companies. Now I know better.

Funny, I always obtained a mortgage from my local bank or S&L. No longer have one, though. :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I first thought about them. Especially because their commercials a few years ago were very low-budg. I think there's nothing wrong with getting loans and mortgages from a local banker, especially if this person knows your neighborhood well. This is probably the ideal, in fact, but the large-scale model of loan-sales used by Quicken and Rock has been working well.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fortune magazine rates them in the top 20 companies to work for. #1 company to work for in IT by Computer World Magazine.

What kind of IT work do they do there? I would expect the usual IT maintenance as well as software to support their financial businesses but do they go beyond that? Is any cutting-edge R&D done there?

(Message edited by Jimaz on July 18, 2007)

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken develops all of their own systems, systems that many other companies would love to get their hands on.

Furthermore, I believe the ranking by computerworld is more about avg. salary, benefits, culture, etc. It's not necessarily based on the total body of work they do.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention its a GROWING company

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 547
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the biggest sea change over the past few years is simply the fact that the discussion among corporations here has changed. Fifteen or twenty years ago, corporations would simply locate around one of the suburbs in an office tower surrounded by a vast moat of surface-lot parking; Detroit itself was never even considered.

Today, most companies relocating into or within the region ask the "suburbs or city" question, and the city gets consideration. That, by itself, is a huge thing, even if the City doesn't get all of those moves.

To me, Quicken in Detroit is a big win no matter where it is. If I were a betting man, though, I would bet on a site within a short walk of Campus Martius.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 372
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they build on the Hudson's site I think it would be cool to have them design the building with a nod to the past with hints of the Hudson's building.

Gistok

Post Number: 4884
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well hopefully in less than 2 weeks we'll know...

Luckily Professorscott, GCP is less than a 5 minute walk from Campus Martius.

As has been stated, the safe choice would be the Hudson's or Monroe block... but the biggest "bang for the buck" for downtown would be the Statler/Tuller/UA blocks.

It could be a big catalyst for all the empty hulks around Grand Central Park, of which there are plenty. And this central void area would help tie together the developments of Washington Blvd., the Theatre District (and possibly expand it), the Park Ave. entertainment district, the Stadia district, a potential new arena, and the MGM/DTE superblocks.

It would give a shot in the arm to the redevelopment of the Broderick, Whitney, Michigan Mutual, and those 2 tall towers on W. Adams west of Park Ave.

And it would add Bagley to the "Necklace District" redevelopments, which have taken place on Madison, Broadway, Woodward and Washington Blvd., but somehow NOT yet on Bagley... the street with (until the demise of the Statler and Tuller) the largest "street wall" among all the Necklace District radiating streets.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.