Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 3-D. Diversity of Discuss Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diversity of Discuss Detroit.
I have been on this site for four weeks or so. I enjoy it. I will tell you why. In a word, it
is the diversity of the postings. Many different opinions for many different reasons. A few may
be dismissed as idiotic, but most of them have some validity in their thinking.
I am that old fart who writes about the good old days. In truth, I would never want to see
those days come back again. Sure, as a kid , they were great, but the adults had a heavy cross to
bear. That statement is just a metaphor. I have never been a practicing Catholic, as such. The
reason being: At the age of 14 I read a fairy tale by Han Christian Andersen. It was entitled, “The
Emperors Suit of Clothes.” If you have never read it, just type in the title on your Google page
and you will access it. It opened my mind to the “herd instinct.”
What is the herd instinct? When a black man was being lynched by a mob, or a woman,
accused of being a prostitute, was going to be whipped by the KKK, the people in the middle of
the mob were cheering along with the perpetrators. But if they were caught, they disclaimed any
participation in the proceedings by saying, “Oh, I was just standing there, minding my own
business and I had nothing to do with that mob.”
Six and a half years ago, the herd instinct took over and put our country in the mess it is in
now... People my age protest and we try to make a difference but we need the vitality of youth.
We need the young people who will inherit our country.
I love Detroit. Is Detroit shameless? Hell, no. But I like to think that the people who are
living there, do care.
Recently. Our Park Association had a meeting and a motion was put forth and it was a
good one and everyone voted, “Yes.” As usual one man voted, “Nay.” It has been my trademark
for many years to never let a unanimous vote pass without at least one . “Nay.” Not to be
obstinate, but rather, to not take anything for granted. Speak out if the Emperor does not have his ass
covered.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, I will not let your call go unanswered.

I'm confident the U.S. electorate, after these bizarre experiments, will relearn what it instinctively once knew and emerge from it all the better.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." -- George Santayana

Thank you for all your guidance and support in teaching us our history.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, I will not let your disparaging comment characterizing those who voted for President Bush in 2000 as having a KKK lynch-mob mentality go unchallenged.

Shame on you! Such shallow thinking is unbecoming of you.

Did you ever stop to think that if the Democrats would have put up better Presidential candidates and campaign platforms in 2000 and 2004, the results would have been more to your liking?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,
The Dems did put a better candidate before bush and he actually won the popular vote. The option was there, however, the Electoral College proved once again to be a poor system at best.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bush has created a bunch of people who voted from fear, who do not respect any culture or religion but their own. We are killing people every day for - what?

And, yes, I do believe the Democrats would have at least not created this lying, power-crazy, Constitution-ignoring pack of haters.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponeton...for a great read concerning herd instinct, which zeros in on your points, , pick up a copy of Our Town by Cynthia Carr...non-fiction...speaks of her small town in Indiana and racism.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great book is "Sundown Towns" by James Loewen. It talks about that supposedly ideal period in American history -- and metro Detroit figures prominently in his analysis. Nice to have some causal data, instead of just decrying the effects!

The book is the most chilling I've read thus far this year, and as a co-chair of a graduate student group here at the University of Michigan, we're bringing him to town to speak about this issue.

Thanks Tom for your honesty.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I remember the 2000 Election (about which Tponetom ascribed a vile "herd instinct" as the reason Bush won), the major campaign issues were Education, Foreign Policy, Health Care, Social Security and Taxes (source).

Not exactly the kind of subjects that lend themselves to fear-mongering and mob action.

Some of you folks are letting your hatred of George W. Bush get in the way of your ability to write something without distorting the truth.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg I don't think that Tponetom is speaking of Bush's election I think he is talking of what happened to our country after 9-11.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no..9-11 was not even 6 years ago. Bush took office 6 1/2 years ago

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't care, but in the over all historical time line the nine month difference doesn't matter.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois, it doesnt matter if you care. That seems to be what Tponetom was referring to, based on what he said.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Did you ever stop to think that if the Democrats would have put up better Presidential candidates and campaign platforms in 2000 and 2004, the results would have been more to your liking?""

I don't want either one of them. I for one am sick of having to choose between "horrible" or "deplorable"

It's time to get rid off all these career politicians, partisan doctrine, lobbyists and all others party to the corruption and vote in a cabinet that knows how to uphold our constitution, build a democracy and strong society. For the people and by the people. And kick the special interests and foreign governments to the curb.

Too many want the US to be too many things to too many groups. It is what it is, love it or get the F out.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, I hope that Lowell will move this thread to "Non-Detroit." While Tponetom
started celebrating the diversity of the forum, he then proceeded to politicize things and criticize one perspective.

While the herd instinct definitely remains alive and well, it is unfair to imply that the followers of one political party are a "herd," while the members of the other are not.

Tponetom, I really enjoy your historical stories and I encourage you to keep posting them. I think everyone benefits from them. At the same time, I do think your political comments were best left to the Non-Detroit issues forum.

Tponetom

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I said it all with the first word in my post: "Diversity." The deadpan, seriocomic, Groucho Marx, once said, "I would never join a Country Club that would have me for a member." In that vein, I would never want everyone to unanimously agree with me, on any issue. What could I possibly learn from that response? Let's throw a little fuel on the fire. Why is the three letter word "oil" so hard to pronounce. I have heard it mentioned many times in terms of, "the barrel price of oil" but that is all. I seldom hear a politician, or one of those hard nosed investigative reporters on TV or those TV anchor
people or my local newspaper's editorial page with all of those syndicated columnists, ever refer to the crazy allusion that 'oil' might be the reason we are in Kuwait (today) as well as Iraq. I did hear the Governor of Montana, Brian Schweitzer, being interviewed by Lesly Stahl, on '60 Minutes' make some hallucinatory statements to the effect that we are in Iraq to safeguard our future Interest, rights, to Iraqian Oil. Now the flip side of that attitude is that the Governor has a lot of coal to sell.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now is the time for a third party to take hold.

There are not just two sides of an issue.

It seems as if every politician is acting based on party lines and not in the interest of who voted them in.

I didn't vote for Bush or Kerry(a stuffed suit if there ever was one)but I did vote.

A vote for the strongest third party candidate is not a vote thrown away. It is a vote for none of the above and hopefully a vote for future change.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stick to the old Detroit stories, Tponetom and spare us the lectures on Diversity. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but you lose all credibility when you say you enjoy the diversity of thought you find here but then in the next few sentences you make it clear you despise those who do not happen to share your political (or religious) views. If you want to blather like that, take it over to the "Non-Detroit" side of the Forum.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Mikeg. Tponetom, you are most welcome to share your thoughts with us on political issues, and that is part of the wonder of our country and our values. At the same time, the Non-Detroit side of the Forum is the place for that discussion, not this section.

I would renew my request to Lowell to move this thread to Non-Detroit issues.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I third.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom,
Keep on doing what you're doing, we love it.

Tponetom

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cman710; I agree. You are right. My post should have been on the Non-Detroit issues. I offer no rationalization, no sarcasm. I understand the distinction of divisions. Phraseology sometimes elude us.
The 'herd instinct' is omnipresent. It is in the Democratic Party, it is in our neighborhood Association group, it is in your Church. It is a reluctance on the part of many individual to think for themselves. Just follow the drum beat. Take the safe route. Do I think we would have been better off with a Democratic candidate. I do not know.
Sstashmoo: I liked your"horrible, deplorable" phrase. That is what it is all about.
See me in Non-Detroit Issues.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.