Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Weather: Ready to Wail » Archive through July 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the second time in less then a week, the weather over SE Michigan and Detroit looks promising for a real show. Let’s hope mom nature doesn't disappoint.

Looking north on Kelly Road near eight mile:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_86 15.jpg?t=1184105660
Looking north on Mack Ave and Vernor:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_86 09.jpg?t=1184105769

And now, with our weather update, Urbanize…

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats harper and vernier

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bullet's been shooting storm blanks, but this one might give you some wet air. This from 7 pm EDT.

radar

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold on to your toupees!

sonny

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope we get some decent rain. I'm tired of brown grass everywhere.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grass is green, and i haven't watered it once. hmmmmmmmmmmm. things that make you go hmmmmmmm. No fertilizer either.....hmmmmmm again.

where is this monster storm already? I wanted to get all my posting out the wat before the power went off, now i'm just boredddddddddddddddddddddddd.

can you tell?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3219
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We actually do need more rain desperately.

The rain and storms, if they hold together and affect Detroit, will not be impressive. It looked at one point like they would be, and the instability in the air was there, but there has been a lack of dynamics in the air over southern Michigan. Most activity has, just like last night, been focused in central/northern Michigan and west of Lake Michigan.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2590
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been nursing a fledgling Eastern Redbud tree along for months now. I'd appreciate mother nature taking over this watering chore.

Jb3

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, someone posted on other thread that the city pumped an extra 1. something billion gallons of water the other day. then they inquired as to the reason. My errant brain synapses automatically jumped to watering lawns as the decisive factor.

That seems like an awful lot of water.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll get nothing more than a few hours of steady rain, if that. The cold front is timed to cross the area at about the worst possible time for storm development (around dawn).

Our best chance of storms was with the bit that ultimately has stayed just to the north. Looking upstream, the squall line in SW Michigan is rapidly falling apart, and won't redevelop. Some parts of the metro area might not see rain at all.

Jb3

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's nice Jimaz. i want one. i tried some plantings two weeks ago, but should of known better. I was just a little too enthusiastic after the success of the spring plantings. I'm biding my time till the fall now. novice gardner here:-).

Jb3

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is cool. Threads about the weather ultimately are relegated to the field of 'small talk', thus, i don't feel guilty about the possibility of 'threadjacking'.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 720
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let’s hope mom nature doesn't disappoint

Mom Nature has been disappointing for weeks now. Sunny, warm, blue skies. Hot, lots of sun, blue skies. No clouds, warm, lots of sun, bla bla bla, very lame, not to mention the indications and threats of ongoing global warming and its consequences. But hey, the bimbos on Fox2 News still proclaim every day to be oh so wonderful. WHERE ARE THE THUNDERSTORMS OF SUMMER?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet

Thanks for the pixs from my neck of the woods. Stop by next time!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the non-stop haze this summer? We've never had it so continuously before. I don't think it's all smog because it's well west of the city, too.

Jb3

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"Sunny, warm, blue skies. Hot, lots of sun, blue skies. No clouds, warm, lots of sun, bla bla bla, very lame, not to mention the indications and threats of ongoing global warming and its consequences"

Same as every year as far back as i can remember. Global warming is only threatening our ability to feed ourselves. Nothing to get worked up about.

Jb3

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 million people wake up in the morning and turn on their co2 machines and sit in traffic for an hour. Of course there is going to be haze everywhere except the city proper.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, my memories of summers past must be distorted or wishful thinking. I think we had way more summer storms in previous years. In fact, I remember when I lived in Novi in the 90s, we had a power outage every time there was a T-storm, and that happened at least once a week. This season, so far, I've seen maybe three storms - or so it seems.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope it works out, Jimaz. I see a lot of those trees in gardens when I'm in Grosse Pointe. There are also some groves of them in some university areas in Ann Arbor. Really nice in the early/mid-spring.

The haze might be a metro-area thing, making it pollution-related indeed. All of the hot days lately in Ann Arbor have had incredibly blue skies. I've been surprised at the lack of haze in spite of high humidity. Haze itself is not pollution-driven. I've seen a lot of hazy days in northern Michigan (it really ruins photography in many situations). But humidity in the air allows pollution to be caught and displayed more readily, and so if there's been haze in Detroit lately you can probably thank your fellow motorists.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's still a chance of Thunderstorms as a Fairly deep Spring-like trough will come marching in right behind this strong, springtime low pressure center and cold front. With some decent Wind Shear and Decent Vertical Motion, there will be pop-up elevated convection throughout the night producing very heavy rainfall rates and possibly some lightning. No severe weather is expected though.

There's decent dynamics, but the instability is on the wane since the sun has set and the Lapse Rates are settling.

None the less, Plan for rain whatever you do tonight.

In addition the reason the storms have been mostly up North is that's where the best dynamics and the systems have been laying (not the mention the very strong Capping environment from Metro Detroit, Southward). The front that did brew those storms up there yesterday settled dowm to the 8 Mile rd corridor Last night, but of course the time of day was unfavorable for storms, (not to forget that the front was pretty much washed out and out of dynamics). By morning, it lifted back as a Warm Front and put us back into that nice and sunny environment. Areas North of 8 Mile did see some type of Convection today, whether from the evening round in the Thumb, or the Lake Breeze development that slammed Oakland, Macomb and St. Clair counties with Wind Damage (which the donwdrafts of those storms most likely brought down even drier air).

The reason there's been a delay in storms in areas south of 8 Mile is because (according to the NWS in Cleveland) A cap was beginning to develop, ccompressing any thunderclouds that tried to billow up. Also, the Lake-Shadow Effect may have had something to do with it as well.

There will be many more Storms in the Future. Unfortunately, the general Pattern for the WEstern Great Lakes This year has been Strong Ridges of high Pressure (unusually cooler and winter dry air) with a occasional modestly moist and dynamic system. Even the NWS stations around here are agreeing that the cold front haven't even been sub-par this summer.

Haze is here and there. Issue is, it mixes out as the day progresses due to the sun mixing drier air to the surface (which has also been limiting our storm chances in SE Michigan).

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 10, 2007)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Ray1936, I may be shooting more blanks yet. After I took the above photos I actually was listening to Sonny Elliot on the radio, Ed_golick. I thought he was retired!
Yeah, that’s all we are going to get, small talk Jb3. Groan...
Mackinaw, I work in GPF, so I'm always in that neck o' the woods. Anyhow, here are a few parting shots taken from my fav weather spotting hill:
Looking northwest:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_86 37.jpg?t=1184122195
Looking north:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_86 44.jpg?t=1184122257

BTW: I will post a video as it becomes available of...just stay tuned.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those were likely the storms that popped up over Brighton and survived a trip eastward about 15-30 minutes and weakened (speaking of the thunderhead/Cumulonimbus cloud). The Dark Cirrus Clouds are generally blowoffs reflecting off of the sun from the Storms in the Thumbs and Western MI.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first pictures you have were the Lake Breeze storms that Hit Macomb, Oakland and St. Clair counties with hefty Wind Damage. I noticed those as well. I think a Moderate to heavy RainShower did manage to briefly billow up and rain itself out in less than 5 Minutes over in the Southfield/Far NW Detroit Area, but nothing big.

Jb3

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool pics bullet! Bring on the small talk! just kiddin, i'm going to bed.

Ghetto, my memory probably doesn't work so well either. I just always seem to remember dry spells in July and August. Urbanize seems like a weather authority, hell probably know.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, July is pretty Dry and August is the second driest month of the year. Of course, they're usually the hottest as well.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070711/U PDATE/707110420/1003/METRO

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 814
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Urbanize, and all. And now, for something completely different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =u4yx08jfxDs

Urbanize

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well today, there's a chance of Convection with very Cold Air Aloft, Steep Lapse Rates and Decent Wind Shear.

The Limiting Factors will be the Lake Breezes, The amount of Instability, and the amount of moisture.

At this point, the Immediate Tri-County Detroit Area stands the least Chance of rain as the best dynamics with the first system will past through the Northern Portions of SE Michigan and the dynamics with the second disturbance will move along the MI, IN, and OH border, only affecting the far southern Counties of SE Michigan. Well again, let's hope Mother Nature doesn't disappoint us.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god for global warming!!!!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6195
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Global Warming!

No wonder there were more popcorn thuderhead storms over by southern Manitoba/nothern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Upper Peninsula of Michigan and southern Ontario.