Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » King Kwame at the BET awards. » Archive through June 30, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the significane of KK at the BET (black entertainment) awards on Tuesday? Please see his pic at gettyimages.com under the BET after party. He look like he's straight out of the Rap Gangsta's video not like a mayor. <<shaketh>>>

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's black?

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://cache.gettyimages.com/x c/74929478.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker &k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193FE27433 493C03A10356AB1F8F826E0FF

Wow. A black guy in a white suit.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5721
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF? This is the same old, same old schitt that gets played out here, and it's not even subtly racist, anymore.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calling Steve Wilson........

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is that racist to say that he looks like a gangsta? He does.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm only 31, but I must be getting old because I just don't think anyone in politics should dress like that in public. He's not a hip hop star, he's a mayor of a city with many problems. He should be spending every bit of his time solving those problems; not going to BET award shows in Hollywood.

Shark

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the fuck is wrong with you people? He is wearing a white suit...

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder if Mayor Bloommberg of New York went to the WET awards, the White Entertainment awards that whites were the dominant element?

Wonder if the citizens of color who reside in New York would enjoy that picture?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a white suit to me.
Glad he is out trying to bring jobs to the city and create economic development. I wonder how many other mayors there were there? You knew this when you voted for him.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4698
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who the hell cares what he was wearing, or why he went there?

He wore a white plaid suit (with matching cap) to the fireworks in case anybody really cares...

LOL...talk about making a meal out of a morsel....

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so stupid. If he would have been a white man in a tux at the Oscars no one would have said a thing.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats it! He should be in a tux. But it is good for the city, I think.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol if he were a white man in charge of a failing city dressed like a gangster then people would say why is he dressed like a gangster.

lol geez people WTF? because he looks like a frickin gangster and someone brings it to light they are racist?

get a frickin clue already and stop tossing the bs race card at every moments notice.

Shark

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So anyone who wears a white suit looks like a gangster? Or just black people? Please clarify for me.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No anyone who wears a white gangster suit and fedora tipped to the side looks like a ganster.

Hell, put William Hung or Woody Allen in the same getup and they would look gangster if we knew they were'nt such nerds.

Cmon, be serious. Stop with the racial nonsense.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then again, blame the hip hop culture for sending out the message that if a man{black or not} wears a all white matching suit and fedora he is gangsta.

Blame hip hop for that negative image.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say anybody dressed like that is a clown. I'll make fun of anybody at a wedding that thinks it's the player's ball. It just doesn't look sharp. Reminds me of those Halloween costumes you'd see at a Walled Lake bar party.

That being said, at least it's still before Labor Day. That's the kind of fashion sense that wins votes.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely Abracadabra.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "Reminds me of those Halloween costumes you'd see at a Walled Lake bar party."

That was damn funny.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on June 28, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

diggin the scene with the gangsta lean uh huh that's Detroit love!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree this is getting tiring. Can Kwame take a shit without the brand of toilet paper he uses getting scrutinized? How many threads like this are we honestly going to see a week? Who cares. judge him by the job we have elected him to do, not the kind of suit he wears and company he keeps.

And BTW, that suit is fly. You people have no sense of style that is what the problem is.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 756
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just think he looks funny.

As the mayor of a large city he should have a more professional look.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Mayor,

Kwame is a public servant and just like all public servants that are screw ups, he is mocked.

He isn't any better than Bloomburg, Guliani, Clinton or Bush.

When Sir Kwame shows he cares about the people of Detroit , then Sir Kwame will get the respect due him once he has earned it.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Rjk and Dexter. Why is this so hard to understand for some people?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the suit is badass, wish I could pull that off. Yes, I'm white.

That said, it's probably not exactly what the mayor should be doing. However, if he didn't go on the City's dollar, who gives a fuck? Should he be sitting at home after business hours thinking about the next day of work? Politicians are people too, they're allowed to do things for themselves.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" When Sir Kwame shows he cares about the people of Detroit , then Sir Kwame will get the respect due him once he has earned it."

And how does Sir Kwame do that? By wearing a nice tux next time? How about we scrutinize someone based on their job performance and not their wardrobe.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious time-and-time again on here that black mayor's are judged under a different set of rules and standards. In this particular thread, the very first post was loaded implying that the entire BET awards is a showcase for gangsta rap, and that no serious person should be present there, which isn't the case. It's these stupid generalizations that show the motives of those who post.

And, again, calling Mayor Kilpatrick by his first name, which is as close to calling him 'boy' as you can get, is disgusting, and some people are too instilled with terrible values to even see the total disrespect and degradation in all of this. No one is criticizing LA mayor Antonio Villagrosa showing up at every Hollywood event under the sun, or a number of other big city mayors who make them selves known in the social world.

No, it's the fact that Kilpatrick is a young black mayor appearing at swanky black-oriented awards show that makes him different, and little more, and people would be much better off being real with themselves about it. I'm getting i{sick} of this, and even more sick that many people (especially young people) who don't even realize their horrible biases.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suit sucks. It would suck if it were all black, all green or all any color. He or anyone else would look like a 2 dolla trick wearing that nonsense.

Style my azz
almost as stylish as this clown:

Since you want to make it a race issue, here are extremely stylish couple and single who happen to be black and fortunately not clowns like Kwame and the white boy in purple.

::

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 386
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Sir Kwame shows he cares about the people of Detroit , then Sir Kwame will get the respect due him once he has earned it."

And how does Sir Kwame do that? By wearing a nice tux next time? How about we scrutinize someone based on their job performance and not their wardrobe.

::::::::Sir Kwame needs to act like a mayor and not an effin kid with a private bank account labeled City of Detroit.
Maybe when he grows up and realizes that being a Mayor of a major city is a real job maybe something might actually get done for the good of the people.

(Message edited by dexterpointing on June 28, 2007)

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote::::

It's obvious time-and-time again on here that black mayor's are judged under a different set of rules and standards. In this particular thread, the very first post was loaded implying that the entire BET awards is a showcase for gangsta rap, and that no serious person should be present there, which isn't the case. It's these stupid generalizations that show the motives of those who post.

And, again, calling Mayor Kilpatrick by his first name, which is as close to calling him 'boy' as you can get, is disgusting, and some people are too instilled with terrible values to even see the total disrespect and degradation in all of this. No one is criticizing LA mayor Antonio Villagrosa showing up at every Hollywood event under the sun, or a number of other big city mayors who make them selves known in the social world.

No, it's the fact that Kilpatrick is a young black mayor appearing at swanky black-oriented awards show that makes him different, and little more, and people would be much better off being real with themselves about it. I'm getting i{sick} of this, and even more sick that many people (especially young people) who don't even realize their horrible biases.

:::Do you actually believe that shit that just dropped out of your mouth?

Talk about hating whitey and projecting. lol sheesh get a life. No one is out to get black people. This is about clown Kwame.
You guys talk crap about King George's moronic azz whos white all the damn time. I dont see one person stating its race related.

Grow up kid and join reality. Just like George is a lame duck, so the F*&K is Kwame.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan wrote - "And, again, calling Mayor Kilpatrick by his first name, which is as close to calling him 'boy' as you can get, is disgusting, and some people are too instilled with terrible values to even see the total disrespect and degradation in all of this."

Personally I dont care about his suit or what he does on his own time as long as it isnt on the city's dollar but I found this a bit much. I call George W. Bush George or Georgey and I call L. Brooks Patterson simply by L. Brooks. How many people refer to the Clintons by saying Bill or Hillary? I think its silly to equate that calling the mayor Kwame is the same as saying "boy".

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame isn't a lame duck he can be re elected.

"Sir Kwame needs to act like a mayor and not an effin kid with a private bank account labeled City of Detroit."

If he didn't use city funds to pay for this trip this is a non issue here.

"Maybe when he grows up and realizes that being a Mayor of a major city is a real job maybe something might actually get done for the good of the people."

Which has nothing to do with his appearance at an awards ceremony while on personal time.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

,,,,,ignore them, they are just racist themselves and cannot see their projection of it because they are not even aware of their mental disorder.

They'll learn.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Which has nothing to do with his appearance at an awards ceremony while on personal time.

:;1st off, if that idiot paid for his "personal trip" with tax dollars it is our business.
2nd, if he did not pay with our tax dollars it is still our business how he represents this city because wether or not JR is on company time, he is a 24/7 representitive of the city which means anyone with any common sense does not want the most important person representing their city at an important event looking liike a busted broke ass wanna be gangster.
We want class.

that ybi shit was deaded a long time. Time to grow up JR.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dexter look up what a lame duck is and you'll figure it out.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enlighten me Mayor, I feel so slow in your royal presence.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<jumping>

If HE paid for the travel and tickets, who cares.
The white suit, or for that matter all white gear to summer events is the new "in" thing for that "celebrity" crowd. That look is far from gangsta. I'm sure many on this board REALLY doesn't know what that word (or culture) means.

If I was Mayor.....
Would I wear the suit combo? NO. Would I attend ANY out of town award shows? NO. Do I REALLY care if he took a little vacation time to attend the awards? NO.

Hopefully this board doesn't slip to the level of the freep comment section.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading all of your supporting comments on the wardrobe, I gain a better understanding of the people who voted for this jerk.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sampling of Kid Rock's lyrics:

I'm a pimp. You can check my stats . . . . Smack all the hos.

Because I do so much pimpin', one day I'll probably walk with a limp . . . one day, watch, I'll be the pimp of the nation.

I be the early-mornin' stoned pimp, straight-limpin', Boone's Farm-drinkin', at the party big-booty pinchin'.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh ,,,the point?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is, did Kwame Kilpatrick gain more positive attention than negative at the show? If the suit helps, he's a smart man IMO.

Remember the show has a young audience, and the scene is hip-hop after all. Dressed for the ocassion? Absolutely.

(Message edited by wolverine on June 28, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a guy that size shouldn't wear white unless it is *impeccably* tailored - that suit looks bad on him - looks tight and wrinkled

and his tie isn't straight

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine, I'm sure if any corporate representation or business owner considering setting up shop in The D saw it, it cast in a VERY positive light. What a fantastic symbol of the city where they might want to conduct business in!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone please tell me, what is the story here?

It must be a pretty slow day for anyone who cares about this, as it does NOT affect the city of Detroit. What was Kwame's "bad behavior"? How did he shame the city? Why does it matter what color suit he wore?

Come on folks, don't tell me that what the mayor WEARS has any bearing on how he runs the city!!!

The only people who have strong feelings about said topic are the same tired folks who fall into these catagories a) Detroit bashers, b) Kwame haters, c) trolls who get satisfaction from inciting a riot on DY.

I see no story here.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72, there is a 4th category: People who passionately care about the future of the city and the image that the rest of the nation has of it. I fall into that one.

Gistok

Post Number: 4700
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder just how many business owners or corporate representatives were watching that program....

And those that did, do you think that they cared?

I was appalled when I saw that picture of Mayor Kilpatrick in that white suit... how appalling. It could have used a good steam pressing before he wore it.

He looked somewhat frumpy in that suit... sorta like our senior senator Carl Levin, who always looks somewhat disheveled, with his hair slightly askew and tie crooked.

Lord knows how much business development Michigan has lost due to Carl Levin's frumpy appearance. It must run into the tens of thousands of dollars!!! :-(

And it's a might careless for Mayor Kilpatrick to look that way... downright reckless if you ask me. He represents not only Detroit, but also other parts of southeast Michigan where folks can't stand him. Shame on him for being so ungrateful!

Detroitej72

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72, there is a 4th category: People who passionately care about the future of the city and the image that the rest of the nation has of it. I fall into that one.

______________________________ ___________________

So tell me, how has this hurt Detroit?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 586
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, thanks for giving me the best laugh I've had all week!!!

Lighten' up folks...

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite, my point is that the mayor's appearance was likely found to be acceptable by the audience in general.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,
quote: "So tell me, how has this hurt Detroit?"

Probably not a lot. Just another little drop in a giant bucket of embarrassment.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6127
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KING KWAME, A white dressed old pimp. Ready to hit up some hoes!

Detroitej72

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid, I give you props for being honest many folks here are just looking to make Detroit and Mayor Kilpatrick look bad, then giggle with glee to themselves for bashing the city.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

Take a deep breath, my brother, just relax a bit, as far as Mayor Kilpatrick.

No need to keep calling him king.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on June 28, 2007)

(Message edited by detroitej72 on June 28, 2007)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3931
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find the interpretation of Kwame's white suit as gangsta a real stretch. I mean, if he was in a green velvet suit with on open neck pink shirt and dangling 3 pounds of gold chain, I could see the point. Instead he is simply wearing one color.

There is a little lack of history being displayed here. The suit he wears is actually rather classic, from days when wearing white in the summer was common -- from days when 'white parties' meant everyone wore white, and didn't waste the entire party talking about what it meant.

Beyond self-interpreting what he wore and self-guessing what it might mean, what is the point? What does it matter what he wears? What does it matter what you wear?

Criticize him all you wish about his success or failings in governance, but leave the couture to the fashion mavens. They are much better at slicing him up.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 591
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Lowell for once again being a "voice of reason" in these crazy times!

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those in leadership positions, despite their real credentials or capabilities, were ultimately chosen to "represent". Fine example.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this same topic was brought up when my man Nate Abraham got out. I guess this is one of the many cultural things that I don't understand. Would someone be so kind as to explain to me the loud clothing, especially in a formal setting?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4609
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It didnt bother me that he wore a fly suit. Kwame ain't my mayor. And yes, he will be addressed as Kwame just like a our governor Jen or our pres George.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I do not agree with you. It is important. It is 1,001 little things. The diamond stud he wore in the past, when I saw him clubbing at the night club Pure in 2001, the "Hip Hop Mayor" award, the Navigator scandal, the recent spa scandal, the tipped fedora.... These things add up. He needs to act like he is the embodiment of a city that is moving in the right direction.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3932
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon Patrick, look at the picture again. That suit is not even remotely 'fly'. That is a classic white summer suit.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 595
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid, please focus on what Kwame is trying to do for Detroit,(in his 2nd term) now.

He has grown much since he almost lost the last election.

I voted for him the first time, would not have voted for his 2nd term(I moved to Hamtramck), but think he has become a better leader since then.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid Dynamite, if you don't like him, as it seems, and wish to make serious criticism then talk about the Navigator, talk about his policies and decisions. Tell us what you would do that he isn't doing.

But talk about his suit? A classic summer suit at that? Or his diamond earring? Who's next on that hit list? Chauncey and Rip? C'mon. Are we that out of ideas?

He doesn't need to 'act like' anything. He needs to get things done and be judged on that basis.

Why

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Furthermore, just shows what the position of "mayor" means to people of this day and age.

I want statistics. How many past/current mayors are in attendance at major ENTERTAINMENT events pertaining to one particular race?

Formerly a Dearborn resident for 15+ years, I never read about Mayor Guido appearing at the Italian Mafia or the Roman Empire Television Awards ceremonies.

Come on now. Show me the figures.

Why

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tie doesn't match the outfit. The white's are all off. Similar to when people try to wear different black fabrics. Black is not necessarily black. One or the other buttons need to be fastened, not both. He most definitely got this outfit from Henry the Hatter.

Not good representation.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3934
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Guido, rest his soul and a good mayor, had a mere fraction of the charisma and presence of Kwame.

Showbiz is showbiz, they don't let just anybody on the stage. And somehow mayor of Dearborn [where?] doesn't ring quite the same bell as Mayor of Detroit.

You should be asking the question regarding Giuliani vs. Kwame. Giuliani had been on everything everywhere including a full life of scandals and mistresses.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "He doesn't need to 'act like' anything."

No. Elected officials need to act like role models. They need to act professionally and personally like people we should strive to be like. I work in the corporate world. His behavior doesnt attract a lot of support from people I associate with, work wise. Whether or not that is right is irrelevant, its just the way it is. If I wore a lip ring, I know that i could do my job just as well, but the people I do business with would probably not see past it.

going to sleep... see ya tomorrow

Why

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Patrick. My sentiments exactly. Always bothers me when black people address me as "sir". It means they want something - 100% of the time - otherwise you're stepped on (and I don't even live in Detroit anymore). Elvis Presley is Elvis. Princess Diana is Diana. Jesus Christ is Jesus. Aretha Franklin is Aretha. Nancy Wilson is The Baby. Billie Holliday is Lady Day. For some reason, certain people have a problem with certain people not bowing down and calling this buffoon Mr. or Mayor Kilpatrick. I don't necessarily agree with any of the aforementioned contributions to society but they were symbols. Kwame is a symbol of Detroit. Deal with it (and deal with it for the rest of your lives).

Why

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, Detroit being compared to New York? You're most definitely a Detroit resident. The ignorance of what is happening in the rest of the world vs. S.E. Michigan is definitely shining through right here, right now!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5727
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is he comparing Detroit to New York? He's comparing mayors. So, if a city is going well the mayor can be as bad as he or she wants to? How many more double-standards are you guys going to come up with?

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 29, 2007)

Why

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, well, er, I believe the credentials and qualifications for a mayoral candidate of New York would be much higher than that of Detroit (case in point KK).
Nobody is perfect. Don't judge them. Have a blessed day.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3937
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the kwalification of being mayor of NYC is not to be homophobic as KK has let slip.

Beyond that you can be pretty much what you want to be in the big apple as long as things look okay.

So I have to give it up for Giuliani for being pro-gay rights, pro-choice, having a corrupt police commissioner [who he wanted to be homeland insecurity chief] and having a mistress on the side. Heck, he could be mayor of Paris with those credentials! :-)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5728
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing is that I'm not much of a Mayor Kilpatrick fan, myself. I'm tired of the blatant and unapologetic double standards applied to not just his office, but his person. He gets the very fair criticisms of being a public figure, which I completely agree with, as it comes with the territory. But, he also gets a lot of illegitimate and superfluous crap criticism that's either rooted in cultural misunderstanding (i.e. this talk of gangsta' and pimp ect...), out-and-out bigotry, a little bit of both, or something in between. Either way, it's illegitimate and poisons society.

I'm tired of this married young father of two, and ambitious college-educated man that gained enough respect from his peers to lead his party in the Michigan House of Representatives, being painted as some off-the-street, uncultured, uneducated stereotypical 'thug' and 'gangsta'. He doesn't give off any of that to me, in the least bit. At worst, he gives off an aura of a slight immaturity, but if you guys want to see and talk about some real 'thugz and ganstaz,' you need to look no further than former Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley, former New York mayor Rudy Guiliani, former Detroit mayor Coleman Young, among a plethora of real 'big city' mayors back in the day. Mayor Kilpatrick's antics are down-right tame in comparison, as are the antics of a number of these young up-start big city mayors we're seeing today.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the NBA draft yesterday which has been known in the past for very loud, look-at-me type of suits worn by many of the draftees. Last night every player except one who was in attendance had on what most people would consider to be very conservative attire. Conservative, but very sharp. They all looked very good. The one exception was Joakim Noah who seemed to be stuck in a 1970's time warp on prom night.

I very much doubt that all these players are conservative by nature in how they dress. I'm sure their agents impressed upon them the importance of presenting a certain image to corporate America.

I just thought it was funny that 19-21 year old young men understand the importance of presenting a certain image, but the 36/37 year old mayor of Detroit seems clueless about it. If Kwame was at the draft in the suit pictured above, hanging out with the 19 year olds he would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, when I posted this thread my intent was not about his clothing but the fact that his city is dying and several violent murders have taken place in the last week involving young people and there he is in Hollywood at some entertainment show. What's more important? Seeing the mayor on the BET awards show or seeing him in front of city hall making comments about these senseless shootings and what he plans to do keep the citizens from turning into vigilantes in order to protect themselves.

And about the racists remarks, GROW UP!!! This post was not put up here to be radical about another black man. And quite frankly, I really do n't give a @%&# about the mayor of Los Angelas because I do not leave there! Let the people of LA deal with their own version of a " hip hop" mayor.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you guys may hold Kwame in high praise that still does'nt mean his suit is stylish. It still sucks.
A white summer suit?
Its a white gangster suit. Just like Carlo and Vito would wear, badly I might add.

The man is a public figure and like all public figures is open to mockery.

Sorry you Kwame supporters dont feel the same way but, the rest of the world does.

And stop trying to turn everything into a damn race card draw. Its ridiculous to say the least.

The man has time and time again used your money for his personal crap. He stole from "YOU' .

Stop protecting this crook. There you wanted it, you got it. The truth about Jr.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memo to metro Detroit, fedora's are the "in thing" this year. I can't walk through a department store without seeing 10 of them on the store shelves.

This thread is about the silliest I have ever seen. A black man at the BET Awards... Alert the Associated Press! The black mayor of the blackest major city in America is at the BET Awards. What next, an actor will attend the SAG Awards?

Since we all must have been closely viewing the broadcast... what did you all think of Diana Ross's acceptance speech?

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well tell ya what BlackStone,,,Fedoras are tacky. They always were and always will be. Aint that much style in th world to mke a fedora look good.
They are the preffered head gear of so-called wanna be gangsters and more than likely, always will be.

What you have here is not a "BLACK MAN' wearing a crooks outfit but a mayor of a major city who was caught with his hands in the cookie jar way too many times wearing a gangster suit.

Keep trying to make it racist. Do you honestly think that you will shut people up by tossing the race card trying to stop people speaking the truth about this crook who is taking the city for a ride.
[an expensive one at that]

PS Diana is always a class act

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cut the race card crap people...even the whitest guy in america looks like a thug wearing that ridiculous thing...

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lolol Jesus

Georgy doesnt need a fedora or gangster suit to look like a crook. At least Ill give him that.King Kwame is trying to way too hard lololol

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fedoras are tacky."

Well, don't buy one!

"They are the preffered head gear of so-called wanna be gangsters and more than likely, always will be."

Is that why Dick Tracy wore one?

" Keep trying to make it racist."

You're doing a great job of that without my help.

"Do you honestly think that you will shut people up by tossing the race card trying to stop people speaking the truth about this crook who is taking the city for a ride."

Move to the city and vote him out.

"PS Diana is always a class act"

You didn't watch it.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9466
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this moronic thread the forums way of 'jumping the shark'

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it Russell Simmons who started the whole, Kilpatrick as "Hip-hop Mayor"? Wasn't that done to manufacture a little street cred?

Daley and Guiliani and even Young got away with a lot of antics because they were effective mayors and well liked. The same can't be said of Kilpatrick.

Bumble

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jt1

Post Number: 9466
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:00 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Is this moronic thread the forums way of 'jumping the shark'

That happened long ago.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fedoras are tacky."

Well, don't buy one!

::have no intention sport. I dont like the gangster look.

"They are the preffered head gear of so-called wanna be gangsters and more than likely, always will be."

Is that why Dick Tracy wore one?

Dunno, did he? I never watched that dumb show. Come to think of it, Dick Tracey does look like a crook. At least in the cartoons I have seen.

" Keep trying to make it racist."

You're doing a great job of that without my help.

:::::Er no sport,see you King Kwame supporters did that by automatically tossing the race card into play.
Stop trying to project your own racist insecurities upon others. I'm sorry you dont like others but this is not my fault. Its your parents fault for teaching you to hate because of one's skin tone.

"Do you honestly think that you will shut people up by tossing the race card trying to stop people speaking the truth about this crook who is taking the city for a ride."

Move to the city and vote him out.
:::::I intend on moving back sometime soon. Trust me, Ill vote for anyone but that crook.

"PS Diana is always a class act"

You didn't watch it.
::::I never said I watched it. I merely stated Diana is always a class act. Get your facts straight son.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I never said I watched it. I merely stated Diana is always a class act. Get your facts straight son."

You tried to imply it son.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lolol typical of this motley crew.
No one implied anything I merely stated a fact about Diana.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROTFLMAO at the W photoshop. The future Mrs and I have been gasping for breath for five minutes because we were laughing so hard at that.

However, I don't think W is the whitest man in America. Put Karl Rove or Bill Gates' face on that and then you'll have it.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“What was the significane (sic) of KK at the BET (black entertainment) awards on Tuesday? Please see his pic at gettyimages.com under the BET after party. He look like he's straight out of the Rap Gangsta's video not like a mayor.” <<shaketh>>>

I’m not sure why he was there, maybe someone invited him?

Which “Rap Gangsta” video are you referring to?

I'm trying to figure out where you’re coming from w/ this post, looking at the picture I would say it’s a linen suit, or a linen/cotton mix.

It’s a bit gauche for my taste, but IMO it doesn’t fall within the term of Rap Gangsta Attire. Guessing I would say it’s Haute Couture fashion and pricy, to say the least.

Rap clothing or “Rap Gangsta” as you call it, to me is:
The loose baggy jeans (size 30, for a size 22 butt) hanging precariously (obscenely) below the waistline, complete with an XXXXL tee-shirt-hanging down to their knees, a baseball cap worn backward or sideways, and a pair of boots or sneakers at least 2 sizes to big.

Top it off w/ a defiant swagger, some hand-signs, sprinkle in a few expressions and presto chango, this describes the way many youths of today dress, regardless of the color of their skin.

I've never seen Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick dress or speak in this manner.

I know I’m getting old; I’ll be 50 in January.

(Message edited by club boss on June 29, 2007)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll say this: It sure doesn't have a slimming effect.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I have to say is that, except on rare occasions, even the best suits look like crap on Kwame

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm new here... so please be gentle.

I voted for Freeman Hendrix. Now that man really gave me the confidence that he could do something. I may be wrong, but we'll never know will we?

That being said: Kwame constantly misrepresents our city. He goes around under the guise of "doing things to help us" and "bringing in big business". If that's really the case, then why are major companies leaving? Why are we barely getting better? Why is it the only time that buildings that need to be demo'd are being demo'd for the Super Bowl? Why can't we find that money to do that all the time? There are some very dangerous structures just in my neighborhood (I know there's tons) that need to be taken down and are just sitting there... mostly thanks to the wonderful shitty council, but Kwame could do something if he wanted.

IMO, wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if he were more popularly known for being the mayor that spends his free time devoting himself to local charity or the mayor who can't stay away from work because there's so much work to be done? I know people who treat their regular everyday jobs in such a way that they work overtime and weekends til the job is done. And those folks are just volunteers. They don't even get paid the mayor's salary.

Again - I'm new... this is just my opinion, but I would love to have a mayor that sheds a positive light not one that goes to awards shows, or expensive spas, or dresses like he does. I agree with most people that he looks like a gangsta and that is not how I want to be represented. I'm embarrassed.

And I will continue to NOT vote for him. Hopefully more people will join me next time. No matter how much of an improvement it was over his last term, it's not even close to what it should be.

I miss Archer...

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Illitch says Jump to Kwame.... you know his response is how high!!!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vintage: Get ready for the mayor's transition tea... I mean, er, supporters to immediately condemn your thoughtful statement as "sour grapes."

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, Vintagesoul. I miss Archer, too. He was a class act.

Gistok

Post Number: 4703
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I miss Archer too, especially in his earlier years when the east riverfront was full of cool restaurants and nightclubs... that was before Archer flip-flopped a 2nd time for is location of the casinos downtown, and decimated the riverfront restaurant business. God I miss those restaurants.

I also miss the good old days of Coleman Young. It was nice having black mayors of Detroit dress like white people, wasn't it? And it really made a big difference on how us suburbanites felt about them... I guess your right, especially in the case of Young... the clothes do make the man....

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: Point taken, but Young's trademark homburg was hardly a white fashion cue.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

I also miss the good old days of Coleman Young. It was nice having black mayors of Detroit dress like white people, wasn't it?

::::::Its nice knowing that so many hate us and they justify it with no real answer as to why. Just that their own pitiful lives suck and they need someone to blame.
Gee, sounds an aweful lot like bigotry to me.

Jt1

Post Number: 9467
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Says the guy that thinks a black man wearing a white suit wants to be or looks like a gangster.

Patrick

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude black guys can get away with wearing white suits and other outlandish colors. If a white boy did that then he would considered mentally challenged.

Gistok

Post Number: 4704
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm making the sarcastic point that this thread is much ado about nothing.... just a bunch of people who like to make a meal out of a morsel.... As Lowell has implied, Detroit has bigger things to worry about than the mayor's fashion police...

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Says the guy that thinks a black man wearing a white suit wants to be or looks like a gangster.

::::Like I said sport, woulda said the same about anyone any color wearing a white gangster suit.

Lets try not to twist the truth ok sunshine?

This racial crap was started by your little crew.
Once again I apologize for saying that moron and crook you look up to looks like a ganster in his white gangster suit but well, he does.
Simply because he is wearing a gangster suit.

Its that simple.
Sorry the mayor blows. He's not the first mayor to totally suck at his job , Just ask time magazine. He is in their top 5 worst though so that must account for the crooks accountability.
Although I think Koch should have gotten top notch for his clown of an administration.
Until Kwame does right, his azz is a clown until the end.
So Kwame, if your listening? Stop dressing like a hood and stop robbing the hard working taxpayers of Detroit.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9508
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct Gistok, The mayor does have more important things to worry about.
How about staging demonstrations against crime? How about getting communities involved to help get those accused of murder behind bars (IE: money to get witnesses to come forward)?

Everyone needs time off now and again, but when a city such as Detroit is losing jobs and people at an alarming rate maybe the mayor should put such junkets on hold.

Jt1

Post Number: 9468
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still waiting for an explanation of why a white suit (which are predominant in the black community) is gangster attire?

What other attire is 'gangster'?

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um its a gangster suit.

Take a look at the mobsters who wear almost exactly similar clown outfits.

Gangster is a look, and ya man has achieved that look right along with Gotti , Gravano, and Suge.

And just fyi? stop trynna pull the race card it aint gonna work clown.
Are you Kwame or does that fool pay you?

(Message edited by dexterpointing on June 29, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9470
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So since you say it is gangster attire that is the bottom line? I would like to know what else is gangster attire so that I can keep an eye out on KK and other politicans.

I'm not the one pulling the race card. I am pointing out your issue with a suit that is popular in a specific community (black, not gangster) that you seem to villify. Maybe Kwame is just a Casablanca fan and wanted to go with the white suit like Bogart.

I have no ties to Kwame and I have never gotten a dime from him. I do however see bigotry and ignorance a mile away.

So please enlighten me on what else is gangster.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's mostly the hat that does it for me...though the suit is pretty ridiculous too...he certainly doesn't look like a person in a position of power...he looks like an idiot trying to draw attention to himself, and that's the image people have of our city when he goes all over the country looking like that...

if our leaders don't dress respectable, what does that say about the rest of us...

this is the same problem I have with president Bush...I look at him and figure if the best guy that the state of Texas' has to offer can't form a simple sentence without tripping over his tounge, what's that say about the rest of them...and I worry the rest of the world sees Bush and think the same thing about all of us

Gistok

Post Number: 4705
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The situation in Iraq is desperate, but the president will be at his ranch in Crawford Texas in August, and congress will be taking their "August recess".

The Supreme Court has a full docket of cases, but they already are on "summer recess".

Governor Granholm has lots of problems with the Michigan economy, but that won't stop her from enjoying the governors mansion on Mackinac Island this summer.

So a one day jaunt by KK to the BET awards should be criticized when we have more serious problems to worry about in Detroit?

Lets keep things in proper perspective...

Oh.... and I'm not some KK appologist. I supported Freeman Hendrix in the last election, and still feel he would have made a better mayor. AND I think that the spa visit using the KK charity was really stupid.

But this one day jaunt to the BET awards with a white suit is really pushing the envelope in pettiness. For all we know he got a free ride on a private jet from a Detroit area music star.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 29, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9471
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see if we can come up with other gangster white suit wearers:

John Travolta during his disco era
Elvis
Rick in Casablanca
David Byrne (his was even an oversized white suit) - he must have been a big time gangster
Frampton I think donned one before

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So a one day jaunt by KK to the BET awards should be criticized when we have more serious problems to worry about in Detroit?

Lets keep things in proper perspective..."

Pretty much. People don't realize that he was at the fireworks the very next day...

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So since you say it is gangster attire that is the bottom line?
::for me it is the bottom line, coupled with the fact that he is a crook

I would like to know what else is gangster attire so that I can keep an eye out on KK and other politicans.
::: When another prominant F*)k UP WEARS GANGSTER ATTIRE iLL BE SURE TO CONTACT YOU.

I'm not the one pulling the race card.
:::yes my friend, you are.

I am pointing out your issue with a suit that is popular in a specific community (black, not gangster) that you seem to villify.

::::::Sorry, plenty in other communities wear it as well so your "black community" theory is out the door

Maybe Kwame is just a Casablanca fan and wanted to go with the white suit like Bogart.
:::Bogart looked like a crook without the suit. I guess he was just as flashy as King.

I have no ties to Kwame and I have never gotten a dime from him.
:::-OK
I do however see bigotry and ignorance a mile away.
:::SO DOES THE "REAL WORLD" my friend.

So please enlighten me on what else is gangster.

Bogart, Dick Tracey, Gotti, Gravano, etc etc . Those people dress gangster. Just like your crooked idol Kwame.

I told you sport. Stop projecting your hatred , it won't work.
The man looks and acts like a crook, plain and simple.
Protect him all you want, his days are numbered.But then again we said that about Bush and Nagin also didnt we?

Oh and speaking of racists and bigots, isnt ya man Kwame one of those also/?
I mean in today's society for a major metropolitan mayor to appear sexist and homophobic is dispicable.

(Message edited by dexterpointing on June 29, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9472
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colonel Sanders was as gangster as they come
- Only gangsters use that many spices in their fried chicken

Einstein was snapped in a white suit a few times
- true ganagster genius

Mark Twain liked his white suit
- literary gangster

Liza Minellie dons white suits from time to time
- diva gangster

The main guy from fantasy island
- Fantasy maker gangster

Jean Sibelius
-Composer gangster

Gregory Peck
- actor gangster

Steve Martin
- White haired, comedian gangster

John Lennon
- Peace loving gangster

Dean Martin
- Italian crooning gangster

(Message edited by jt1 on June 29, 2007)

Bumble

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Wolfe

Jt1

Post Number: 9473
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

- Obviously a gangster

Bonfire of the vanities was obviously a gangster manifesto

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test - Gangster writing about hippied

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like comparing th MAYOR of our city to entertainers and people from other eras. There is no comparison there. Its apples and oranges. I'm am sorry to say that many of you very disillusioned.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll add two more cents:

Politically, people don't generally comment on the issues anymore. Politics is a matter of style, not substance. People know that. Politicians know that. It's not because people are stupid either. Ask me about the city budget, and I'll have a hard time discussing specifics unless I read the whole damn thing. But ask me about how Kwame dresses and I can tell you what I think of that. Why? Because it's easy. Because most people feel entitled to discuss such things.

Now, Kwame knows all that stuff too. He's used the fact that perceptions matter more than facts in politics to his advantage. He trades in perceptions. He has exploited the fact that the public embraces style over the issues at stake.

It works, too. If we can't have a competent mayor directing the affairs of the city for its betterment, at least we can have a guy who LOOKS LIKE a competent mayor directing the affairs of the city. When critics assail your leadership with facts, have a press release discussing plans that are half-cocked but sound appealing. When the papers publicize your shortcomings, have the city pay for and mail circulars showing how great you are. When aggrieved employees start balking at your poor leadership, put a gag order in place so nobody can discuss it with the public or the press.

Now, all that image-management is a lot of work. But if you're going to ignore the issues, you can't fumble on the image you project. And that's why either one or the other must be true:

1.) The photo was an example of poor image management. Black leaders need to be twice as responsible as booze-swilling drunk-drivers like L. Brooks Patterson to advance the cause of social equality.

2.) The photo is another example of Kwame pandering to his constituency. At least the Kwamster gets to live large and dress loud, no matter what dem white folk say.

Bumble

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was responding to this, Kiddie.

quote:

Patrick

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:35 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Dude black guys can get away with wearing white suits and other outlandish colors. If a white boy did that then he would considered mentally challenged.

Tom Wolfe is natty in a white suit. He might be considered affected, but mentally challenged, no.

Jt1

Post Number: 9474
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid - The statements made by some bigots were that white suits are 'gangster.' I was illustrating that is not the case.

Nerd - Is it acceptable that Brooks is often photographed with no tie and the top couple buttons undone on his shirt. Certainly not the image of someone working hard. Funny nobody mentions that.

Bumble

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, please, Brooks Brothers used to define preppy menswear with madras and seersucker in outlandish colors.

F. Scott Fitzgerald?

Bumble

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pink Izod shirts with popped collars?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1:

Please note that none of the people on your list are mayors of a major US city...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1122

JT: True: Like I said, black people are held to a tougher standard than white people, hence the comparison of Kilpatrick to that alcoholic county boss.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it acceptable that Brooks is often photographed with no tie and the top couple buttons"

sure it is...have you ever seen him with a pimp hat though? If I saw him dressed like Kwame is above I'd assume it was for halloween or somethign...with Kwame though it's business as usual...

is it so much to ask that a mayor of a US city dress like one?

(Message edited by thejesus on June 29, 2007)

Bumble

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least he waited until after Memorial Day.

Jt1

Post Number: 9475
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus - the point is that white suits are not gangster. That has been my point all along.

I understand your point about a mayor uphoilding a higher image but the simple fact of the matter is that some people see a white suit as gangster when it simply is not the case. The hat should have been left at home.

The bigger issue is that some people are implying attire that is popular in the black community is gangster attire. That is not true. I recommed some people here go to nice restaurants, sows, etc that are primarily attended by black people during the summer. There will be a fair number of respectable members of the community wearing white suits.

The issue is a projection of gangster on clothing that is worn more by black people than white. It is all perception and perception that is rooted in prejudice.

Why is it that many people see black kids with baggy pants and long shirts as gangsters but see their white counterparts only as slobs? It may not apply to overyone but I have heard that double standard many, many times. Same situation here.

While way overboard in its portrayal there is a scene in the movie 'Higher Learning' where there is a fight between some black guys and white guys that all attend the same college. When the cops show up the white kids tell the cops that 'those gang bangers' were trying to bust into their party.

Perception plays a large role and perception is often skewed when people only accept the norm in their community as what is decent and what is not.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that may be the norm to dress like that in certain communities, but try showing up to a job interview dressed like that and see how far it gets you...sure, by dressing a certain way you preserve your "culture", but then you don't get the job...and you can call out the person who didn't hire you for being a racist, but you still don't have the job...

sometimes it's just necessary to conform...when Kwame goes all over the country looking like that it reflects very poorly on the city...

and maybe it's because of prejudice, but if a company decides not to locate here because of a poor perception they have of the city which was perpetuated by the mayor, would it be worth it?

Jt1

Post Number: 9476
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

that may be the norm to dress like that in certain communities, but try showing up to a job interview dressed like that and see how far it gets you...sure, by dressing a certain way you preserve your "culture", but then you don't get the job...and you can call out the person who didn't hire you for being a racist, but you still don't have the job..

At least we can agree that there is still prejudice in modern society. It would of course depend on the job. I wouldn't go to an interview as an accountant or financial planner in that attire but advertising may work.

quote:

sometimes it's just necessary to conform...when Kwame goes all over the country looking like that it reflects very poorly on the city...

I still question how that is the case unless you perceive him in a white suit beyond a man wearing a white suit. Let's look at societal prejudice once again. He is wearing a suit. People see what they want to see but he is a large man wearing a large white suit.

quote:

and maybe it's because of prejudice, but if a company decides not to locate here because of a poor perception they have of the city which was perpetuated by the mayor, would it be worth it?

The attire fit at the event. Maybe he helped bring investment into the city. This is just more speculation that whatever KK does has negative results.

I am sure that business plans, research and everything else goes out the window because KK wore a white suit. Anyone looking to invest will invest based upon a business model and many, many conversations with the Mayor or someone else in city government.

For someone that points out stores don't locate here because of the business climate, not racism or any other reason you are quick to claim lost invetsment due to a white suit, not a business model.

Jt1

Post Number: 9477
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At least he waited until after Memorial Day.

If he was wearing that in March the criticism would be fair game. :-)

Thejesus

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1:

Of the stores that don't locate here, most do not because of the business climate...but many that could be successful here don't locate here because of the false perception they have that Detroit is full of nothing but thugs who lack a sense of community and local economy...when the mayor goes around the country dressing un-mayor like, he's not helping at all to fix that perception...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, man. If I could interview for a job wearing some wintergreen number from Joe Porter, I'd love to. But I can't pull it off. Melanin-envy?

Jt1

Post Number: 9478
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So all of your claims that businesses only look at the numbers and there is nothing more sinister going on are completely contradicted in that post.

Seems like you are changing your argument used time and time again to fit your claim here.

But in an opportunity at fairness can you name one business at a decent level that opted out of a Detroit market because of their perception of KK.

I may have to bookmark your post to refute all of the claims in the future that stores don't locate in Detroit strictly because of business.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plz link to those posts where you think I made such claims so I can discuss them with you...

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane Keaton, white suit.

It was funny to see someone on PBS last night talking about the Supreme Court in that red seersucker suit and then see Noah on the NBA draft in the same suit - it must be that time of year.

Gistok

Post Number: 4707
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, much ado about nothing. When Kilpatrick was at both of his innaugural ceremonies (or other formal occasions), he dressed tastefully in black suits with appropriate attire. Ditto for other formal occasions.

I guess some folks don't believe in "dressing for the occasion".

Well I'll leave you with this... Steve Wilson in Hawaii doing his report on Waikiki Beach wearing a speedo... :-)

Thejesus

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steve wilson in a speedo will probably frighten more businesses away from detroit than kwame will ; )

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3938
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Stop protecting this crook. There you wanted it, you got it. The truth about Jr."

Along with your mistaken personal opinion that a classic and conservative summer suit worn throughout history is somehow gangsta, with all the code speak baggage that carries, please illuminate us of all about the exact criminal convictions that Kwame has had that makes him a crook.

You are glibly tossing around very accusatory and damning words that have nothing behind them but your wind.

Your calling Kwame a crook is libelous and without proof or fact. Since your repeated baseless assertions continue, I am starting to think that you are merely trolling this thread for personal attention.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 955
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a fascinating thread. There are some good points made both in support of the Mayor's choice of attire and against it. I'm not so sure that the race card needed to be played. It's been a close call.

As much as some want to support the Mayor's right to his own personal expression, he does not have carte blanche when he is in public. He chose to become a public servant who is vested with the responsibility to serve as the elected represented of hundreds of thousands of citizens. In this context, his personal freedoms do not permit him to engage in outlandish personal behaviors whenever he feels the urge. He does not stop being the mayor when he leaves his office. He is representing us when he is in public, regardless of whether he is performing city business.

As for his attire at the BET awards, the suit was excellent. The suit fit the event and the season perfectly. The Mayor has a personality big enough to pull off the all white ensemble thing. The hat, though, was a major mistake. There's nothing wrong with politicians pushing the fashion envelope. It's kind of refreshing. But their position and need for credibility among all kinds of people and in all kinds of situations should restrain them from venturing into territories of pure individualism. Politicians should never adopt a "look at me" attitude in any circumstance. It runs counter to the essence of one's status as a public servant. A celebrity or an entertainer could have pulled off the hat (e.g., Samuel L. Jackson, or some exceptionally cool white guy). The Mayor should have left the hat on the shelf. He kind of betrayed his office with the hat.

One other thing. There is absolutely no possibility that the Mayor paid for this jaunt with personal funds. Just like virtually everyone on this forum has pushed the boundaries of IRS business expense rules on some occasion, the Mayor undoubtedly had a conversation or two with an executive or some other mayor while on this trip and has used that activity as justification to use city funds for this trip. For appearances sake, the Mayor probably takes a couple of "family vacations" every year (spa trip notwithstanding) that he pays for personally. You can bet that EVERYTHING else is paid for by the city. That's the game and every politician plays it.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4459
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Your calling Kwame a crook is libelous and without proof or fact.

For the record, I don't care what color suit Mayor Kilpatrick wears to an award show on his own time. However calling the Mayor a crook is not libelous. Suggesting otherwise demonstrates a gross ignorance of the law. An elected official is a public figure. One can say almost anything they want about a public figure and it isn't libel. If someone was sued for calling Mayor Kilpatrick or Senator Stabenow or former Governor Engler a crook the plaintiff would be laughed out of court.

And when did it become appropriate to refer to Mayors and/other officials by their first name. Even if you don't like the guy or gal in office at least show the office they hold some respect. Kwame Kilpatrick isn't some shlub at a bar he is the Mayor of Detroit. For better or for worse. Perhaps if we held public offices in higher regard, we might find office holders of higher caliber.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, if Mayor Kilpatrick had worn that suit and hat along with other suits and hats of the same style while campaigning would anyone here think it appropriate? Would he have received your vote? There is something to the term dress for success.

The Mayor may or may not be many of the things mentioned here but he is not an idiot. During the time he was campaigning he always dressed conservatively (hate using that word) as he should. I feel he should continue doing so while in public office and in the public eye.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4354
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jelk....about time someone chimed in with that...

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Stop protecting this crook. There you wanted it, you got it. The truth about Jr."

Along with your mistaken personal opinion that a classic and conservative summer suit worn throughout history is somehow gangsta, with all the code speak baggage that carries, please illuminate us of all about the exact criminal convictions that Kwame has had that makes him a crook.

You are glibly tossing around very accusatory and damning words that have nothing behind them but your wind.

Your calling Kwame a crook is libelous and without proof or fact. Since your repeated baseless assertions continue, I am starting to think that you are merely trolling this thread for personal attention.

::::::Nice try Lowell, very nice but no ticket pal. Kwame is a crook . Plain and simple. Anyone in public office that uses the publics money for personal expenses is a crook.

And for the record , that particular white suit, is gangster. You can throw summer all around the world to prove your point but its a fact that that style suit, wether white or not is gangster.

Have Kwame call my attorney, no problem Let him sue. lol

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT,,,,

you need to gather your militant pals and seek a shrink.

Seriously. I have never in my entire life seen anyone anywhere turn a debate about a style of clothing into a lengthly thread about racism.

ya'll need Jesus my brother. And drink a couple a 40's to boot. It may help relax your mind from racing so much .

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz......... .....

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4355
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz............

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, a thread I knew I shouldn't read, but like a horrible accident, I couldn't look away.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4359
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol OD

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you have a people that reckon themselves 'superior', or the 'civilizers', as whites historically have claimed, especially in 'amerikkka' with the 'Black experience', it becomes 'their' burden to attempt to civilize people in a manner of white identity. It's an internal experience that 'basic whites' use to justify their inferiority to Black identity and is often manifested through jocular humor....perhaps why the 'hateration' of the Mayors slicks!

A lot of whites have been laughing at Black people for a long time, especially when what we are doing is serious, threatening or simply contrary to what they felt we should be doing.

Blksoul-atcha!

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read Blksoul x's idiotic comments above, and I was instantly filled with a million words to fire back with. Then I stopped and realized how overtly racist this guy is. He has an agenda. For god sakes, what if my member name was 'Whitesoul'?? Guys, I wouldn't even waste your breath responding to this winner.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3939
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Libelous = ...harmful and often untrue; tending to discredit or malign. wordnet.princeton.edu

It can be a tort too, but libel is libel whether one is sued for it or not. To even entertain the notion that Kwame might stoop to sue one on an internet forum for libel borders on delusions of grandeur. He has far bigger fish to fry and is too smart to get into a catfight with a nobody.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3314
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One can say almost anything they want about a public figure and it isn't libel.

If "say" means "speak," then it couldn't be libel (written), but slander instead.

Still, as Jelk claims, KK's being a public serpent precludes his claiming most incidents as being "slander/libel."

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, he looks pretty "old school to me. This was how his grandfather dressed in the '50's. He needs an image consultant. Picking his own clothes is not one of his attributes. What are his attributes anyway?

(Message edited by ladyinabag on June 30, 2007)

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I read Blksoul x's idiotic comments above, and I was instantly filled with a million words to fire back with. Then I stopped and realized how overtly racist this guy is. He has an agenda. For god sakes, what if my member name was 'Whitesoul'?? Guys, I wouldn't even waste your breath responding to this winner.

:::::lol kid, which ever regular this "I aint got no Soul" is , he certainly is a winner.
Don't be fooled into thinking this racist just popped up. This is someone that hangs out at all your gatherings with you and then secretly hates you simply because your white.
This pc crew on here is bordering on disgusting with their open racism and agenda.
But, the sheeple accept this in their lives and are happy to hang out with this oh so important and truth saying militant racist .
What ever floats your boat sheeple.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Libelous = ...harmful and often untrue; tending to discredit or malign. wordnet.princeton.edu

It can be a tort too, but libel is libel whether one is sued for it or not. To even entertain the notion that Kwame might stoop to sue one on an internet forum for libel borders on delusions of grandeur. He has far bigger fish to fry and is too smart to get into a catfight with a nobody.

::::::Tell ya what Lowell, When the almighty proves the allegations wrong, then Ill have my lawyer call him and Ill formally apologize. Until then, Kwame needs to get his hands out my pocket.

Dexterpointing

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the record, you should put Lincolns face in Kwames suit and he'd look gangster too. Not that he was'nt a crooked bastard also but thats another thread.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay: it's a white suit and an award show. For the life of me, I can't see why anyone could possibly be offended by that. Some folks in the Detroit area must really hate that guy.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Your calling Kwame a crook is libelous and without proof or fact."

actually, in such a claim, the burden of proof is on the Plaintiff, not the defendant, to show that not only the statement was untrue, but that it was made with "actual malice", defined as reckless disregard for the truth (see NY Times v. Sullivan)

as such, public figures, and especially public officials, rarely, if ever, prevail in such suits...

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 957
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"as such, public figures, and especially public officials, rarely, if ever, prevail in such suits..."

He seems to be prevailing in his suit. :-)

Bumble

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Your calling Kwame a crook is libelous and without proof or fact.

Unfortunately for Kilpatrick, for honest people, anyway, crook as swindler is an appropriate description of someone who would take money from a nonprofit and using it for personal gain, such as Kilpatrick did when he used such money to pay for a hotel room for him and his family.

Ain't libelous if it's true. . . .

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all boils down to how he represents the city. Not that its a black man wearing a gangster's suit. There are other black mayors in the country and if they attended the BET awards, I'd bet they wouldn't dress like Al Capone! <313>

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on guys, cut him some slack- at least he isn't wearing that awful fur coat anymore. :-)

He is wearing his snazzy suit because he is dressing appropriately for the occasion- people at the BET awards tend to go all out in the outfitting department. When he is attending meetings in a more formal enviorment, he wears the appropriate pinstripes, and when he is somewhere like the fireworks, he wears whatever he wants because it is a casual occasion. He might have a rather unique sense of style (ugh, like that fireworks outfit), but I have ever seen him dressed inappropriately when it comes to city business. He should not have to answer to the fashion police when he is on his own time (unless it was something wildly inappropriate, like hot shorts or half tees....)

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's somewhat interesting when 'basic white people' rile up. Especially when we [African people] correctly perceive that there is an inability of 'basic white people' to acknowledge our fundamental authenticity.

Example of modern Black Authenticity: A 'White Party' is a popular social affair amongst many Black socialites. This affair usually consist of celebration , food, spirits, and various forms of entertainment. Guess are to show off their hottest unique styles of all white gear while networking and promoting Black unity...and to be sure, there were many 'white parties' going on in the community of the BET awards show__perhaps why the Mayor was 'dressed to impress' in his all white gear.

Then too, perhaps basic white people's sense of 'themselves' as being white, is contingent on the negation of a corollary Blackness...talk about unabashed temerity, the hubristic continuation in modern times to outwardly express the innate ability to pass judgement on Blackness!__go figure!

Blksoul-atcha!

Patrick

Post Number: 4619
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the quest "Black Authenticity" cause Michael Irvin dress like a pimp on national TV?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my vote, and it has nothing to do with politics or race: Kilpatrick looks like a fuckin' idiot in that big-ass, boxy-looking white suit, and the hat just makes him look even more foolish. He looks like a kid going to the prom in an outfit that, he thinks, looks cool, and nobody who's close to him has the heart to tell him the truth, so he stands there looking ridiculous even while believing that he's Flyus Maximus. All he needs is a cheesy, air-brushed mural behind him, and some trampy-looking girls sticking their fat asses out toward the camera.