Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Dequindre Cut Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Middetres
Username: Middetres

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will development be allowed of the buildings that have lower level access to the old rail line in the Dequindre Cut? They would make for great restaurants/clubs that would open out onto the new recreation corridor. Any thoughts or insights?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3272
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be awesome! Take that idea to someone with clout.

From Jefferson to Gratiot, though, the rail bed cuts through low-density areas of Lafayette Park, and parallels St. Aubin.

First, you would have to reorganize or re-zone Laf. Park, which I would be all for.

Next, you could shrink St. Aubin (it is waaaaay too wide) and create buildable lots all along the cut with St. Aubin Street on the east and the Greenway on the west.

Think big!

(Message edited by mackinaw on July 18, 2007)

Middetres

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the area north of Gratiot. There are a few buildings that look like they used to get their deliveries straight from the rail line. It definitely would add more life to Eastern Market. I like your idea of connecting the two nodes of the Riverfront and Eastern Market with even more development. Why is it the ones with the ideas are the ones without the money?!

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem I see is that any such development would be cut off (no pun intended) from most street traffic, making a profitable business even harder to come by.

I suppose that street level parking could be made available for those who want to venture down to any such restaurants/bars. Many people are scared enough to even venture into the city. How would they react if their entertainment choice included a walk below street level?

I love the idea, but I don't think this city is quite ready for that kind of development.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The problem I see is that any such development would be cut off (no pun intended) from most street traffic

The buildings I think Middetres means have access both at street grade and at the former rail grade

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3275
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, access from both grades would be possible with my vision of re-routing St. Aubin.

Middetres, that would certainly work for the area north of Eastern Market, too.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Middetres

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building I've looked at most closely is on the north side of Adelaide, just west of Chicago Beef Company. Yes it does have street grade access, but I can't see any signs of life, ownership or purchase opportunities on the outside of the building.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think once the cut is started and progress is made, those ideas could gain some traction. lets just get it started, this will help boost residency in both rivertown and eastern market by connecting them to each other, it will also make the things even more convenient for those in lafayette park.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 754
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be an interesting space. Would like to see some ideas.

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've walked the Dequindre Cut up to Gratiot but that's as far as I got. What's it like from Gratiot to the river? Lots of homeless between Mack and Gratiot probably because of the availability of food (Eastern Market)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the recreational development of the cut is only going from the river to Gratiot, with three ramps from the street down to the cut. Anyone more certain of this than I?

Middetres

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the first phase is to Gratiot. But future phases take it north to connect to Milwaukee Junction. If commercial development is allowed along that northern portion, it may hasten its development.

Michigan

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THe homeless in there will become an issue as development proceeds.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The University of Michigan in one of its recent architectural charettes included designs or proposals for the Cut that include making it an entertainment and resident district much like San Antonios riverwalk. Not really a possibility at the moment but down the road the demand could be there.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9678
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The huge oil pool between Eastern Market and Lafayette Park will become an issue as development proceeds.

That said, I cannot WAIT for this to get developed, it is probably the most desirable improvement planned for the area from THIS Eastern Market dweller!!

It is included on every tour I give of my neighborhood...then I drive to the old Globe Trading building at the river and show them where I'll be getting on the RiverWalk when I exercise!

Cheers.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living along the cut, I can tell you that this potential development has the attention of TONS of people along the route.

One of the concepts of the riverfront master plan was to find a way to "connect the residents to the riverfront".

The people in my community are disappointed that it has taken this long. I hope in the end it is worth the wait, because this will really liven up both the neighborhood and the riverfront. Many people I have spoken to here said they would be more likely to walk to the riverfront via the cut because they would not have to dodge the traffic to cross Jefferson, which is not part of the ambiance of the river experience.

Michigan

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Oil pool Gannon? Don't laugh at my ignorance please.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've notice oily railroad ballast closer to Mack. I don't recall anything south of Gratiot.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9680
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might've marked it on my GPS...there is an oil spill, like one of the old railroad cars took a major oil crap just north and nearly underneath of ONE of the overpasses, it is huge.

Might be 15 feet by 8 and only pooled a bit, but soaked into the ground.

Clearly an EPA issue...unfortunately. It is where the second set of tracks used to be, or where they left room to build 'em if they never were.

There is also a nasty-looking leak from another of the overpasses, I cannot remember if when we took that Synergy hike whether it had rained or not...but it looked like it was from one of those funky pipes under another overpass (NOT the same one as the oil leak).

Not too much escapes me, if I've passed through a location, I can even 'see' it now in my mind, but since the overpasses weren't labelled, I have NO idea where they were.

I'll see what I can find on the location, or try to scout it out before I take my Florida trip this weekend.

Cheers

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the city should run a trolley from the river to New Center/Midtown via THE CUT.

WOW, the potential of the river and the cut is enormous! <313>

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe i'm not paying attention, or i've missed the crucial information in another thread, but what the hell is taking so long for them to develop this. I thought this was supposed to start and the end of 2005.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Deandub11,

This is Detroit. Question answered. (or?)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were two delays that I know of. The first was a contractor broke a water (or sewer?) line when reconstructing the Jefferson bridge over the Cut.

Second, they found an undocumented drain in the Cut and no one had the money sitting around to deal with it. They had to figure where the drain went and how they would accommodate it. In the meantime, they cut back on some features in order to cover this additional and unforeseen cost with the grant money they had available.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine I deserve that response, but is there an actual stated "reason" for the hold up?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Michigan's first rail-trail, the Paint Creek Trail from Rochester to Lake Orion experienced a 10-year delay.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The building I've looked at most closely is on the north side of Adelaide, just west of Chicago Beef Company. Yes it does have street grade access, but I can't see any signs of life, ownership or purchase opportunities on the outside of the building.

Do you have the street address for this building? I might be able to look up the owner for you.

Kittypooka
Username: Kittypooka

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're talking about the building directly across from Chicago Beef...that would be part of their warehouse...they kept all the fish dept. across the street from the rest of the plant everything below the street level was just storage though and of course unused. When I used to work there back in '04 they had quite a problem with bums camping out down there or breaking in...they even found a way to splice into the power and ran extension cords all the way to the next over pass so their friends could have tv's and stereos up and running.
Not quite sure of the current status of the company though...they did a bit of crazy underhanded restructuring through the sister company KBD last I heard..might have closed down the fish dept all together.

Middetres

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago Beef addy is 1939 Adelaide. There was no visible address on the outside of the building that I saw. But the address would logically be in the odds between 1901-1937. Thanks for the help!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.