Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Discrimination or nosiness? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In today's paper, a white journalist expressed outrage over Bill Cosby's lecture series "for black men only". Why is it that every time men want to do something, women feel entitled to show up - whether invited or not? (i.e. Million Man March, Promise Keepers, etc.)

This isn't a school, a job, scholarship opportunities or a networking club - all things that would rightly be discrimination. This is simply an opportunity for "boy time". Every time men want to be alone for a couple of hours to talk to themselves, it is NOT a violation of anyone's civil rights. This is just YOU being NOSY. Leave them alone and get a life.

A public event for a select few
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070719/O PINION03/707190371

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL- Yvette, I like your attitude!

How often does he conduct these lectures Yvette? It sounds interesting.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9582
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Yvette in exposing this. In Canada two girls successfully sued a school district so they could play on the boys hockey team even though there was already a girls team. Yet, there are "for women only" gyms everywhere. I just love the hyprocrisy of mentally challenged judicial system.

Yvette248

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan, Bill Cosby has been here twice and had meetings for the general public.

Question:
When guys constantly want to be around girls, we call them "sissies". Maybe we should call women names also who constantly want to be around guys. Maybe "butchies"?

(This is a joke people, just me being silly.)

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double standards are rampant in our society

the good rev

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see it. Isn't his usual approach to point out the failings of today's black community? If someone were to identify all my faults I wouldn't want a bunch of whites' present that would be standing around nodding in agreement.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe we should call women names also who constantly want to be around guys. Maybe "butchies"?

I think they call 'em SLUTS or HO's but I am not certain.

Michigan

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen Yvette, if preferring the company of women makes me a sissy, then I welcome the approbation with brio !!:-)

Michigan

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

harsh Q!!!

Quozl

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was joking like Yvette.

Michigan

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, since you look like a cross between Bob Marley and Albert Einstein, you get a pass!:-)

I am still afraid to put my pick on that thing.

Yvette248

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was about to be upset for 2 seconds, until I realized Q had to have been joking. lol

To Cambrians quote, you're more accurate than off. There is no such thing as "the black community" as we are economically, politically, and geographically dispersed. That being said, it DOES takes the defensiveness out of criticism when you are being criticized by your peers. Men will listen to other men before they will listen to a woman say the EXACT SAME THING.

Go figure!

(Message edited by yvette248 on July 19, 2007)

Quozl

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do not be afraid Michigan, you are safe. If my photograph did not break the software and the website, nobody can break it.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4699
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember in 9th grade two guys wanted to join the girls volleyball team since there wasn't one for the guys. They got detention for pulling that stunt, but they really wanted to play. The principal had to apologize to them in writing since he allowed a girl to play on the football team.

Like it or not, it goes both ways...or at least it should.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4885
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet those 2 guys wanted to join just to hear those 3 magic words from the girls volleyball coach... "to the showers!" :-)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette,

I think you need to consider what your and other minorities reactions would be if a white man giving a speech said that only white men were invited.

I think you would be pissed.

I think Bill Cosby would be pissed.

I know Al and Jessie would be pissed.

Michigan

Post Number: 784
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are men or women truly excluded? Or is this simply a title?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 909
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321Brian, I tend to agree, but what if the white man wanted to speak to a group of troubled, young, white men about being good, productive citizens and about taking responsibility for their decisions and actions (i.e. something positive and nothing to do with white power junk)?

What if a male, Iraqi religious leader wanted to speak to a group of young Iraqi Muslim men about the evils of suicide bombings? Would we protest?

As long as the message is positive then why should people care who he wants to deliver it to?

Michigan

Post Number: 785
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose the real question would be, who is funding these lectures? And what is the venue. If this is a private sector thing, then they can do whatever they want. Sort of like golf at Augusta.

If, however, the money is coming from taxes, then it would seem to be problem.

Yvette248

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321, I hate to break it to you, but every day there are meetings that are attended by only white men. They are called board meetings, Rotary Club, Knights of Columbus, Denture Wearers club of America, etc. etc. Grab a beer and lighten up, boy!

(Amen, Ottawa! Amen.)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not your boy. Bitch.

Are they advertised as "white men only"? No.

These are clubs (Denture Wearers excluded) that people choose to join through their own free will. Sort of like the NAACP.

And, don't give me that corporate america and government are all white only clubs too. That is as old and tired an argument as there is.

As far as your Denture Wearers club of America joke. You can shove it. That is as ignorant as saying parole board hearings are black only.

Yvette248

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, boy, boy, boy, boy!!!!

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze wat a mess. Bill Cosby has every right to have a meeting geared to a specific group. The analogy about Arab leaders having a meeting about men, woman and children blowing themselves up at the expense of innocent people fits into the same situation. Blacks dont have bombs strapped to their waist, but a 9mm to someones head calls for the same outcry from an individual who feels compelled to do something about it. I hate the conversation taking place on this post. This in not 1951

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette,
Laura Berman did not express outrage anywhere in her article. While she apparently is not happy about Bill Cosby's exclusive lecture, she sure as hell is not outraged.

Your initial post is misleading in describing Berman simply as a white journalist. Sure she is white. The primary focus of the article revolved around gender issues. She clearly references her gender as the primary reason for being excluded from the "Calling All Men" lecture. The highlighted headings of the article all have to do with gender. The article and picture heading reference race six times. Gender is referenced more than 20 times

Personally, I think Bill Cosby is great. His attempt to connect with other black men through a call for increased personal responsibility is commendable. Good for him and here's to a excellent turnout.

Yvette248

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Docmo. If you look at my original post, it was only about gender. It's the other people on this post that changed the topic into a race debate. (Surprise, surprise.)

p.s. And none of my posts referred to her being "outraged" either. We were clearly having fun with the issue. Question: Why are you reading things into my posts that aren't there.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette,
I'd agree with you if hadn't screwed up post #742 with this initial sentence. " In today's paper, a white journalist expressed outrage over Bill Cosby's lecture series "for black men only"."

You injected race with the white journalist comment. You definitely stated she expressed outrage. Other than these two screw-ups, I agree with the rest of your light-hearted post. Try to be little more careful next time. Race is touchy around here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.