Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Cheesecake Factory in Detroit » Archive through July 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yooperindetroit
Username: Yooperindetroit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While on vacation in Seattle this past week, I went to one of the two Cheesecake Factory restaurants for dinner. While there, I read the little blurb about the History of the Chain and found out that the original owners once lived in Detroit and made cheesecakes for the "fine local restaurants" here in Detroit before they headed to California and opened the first Cheesecake Factory. My first question is does anyone know what restaurants here in Detroit featured these cheesecakes and second, why do we not have a Cheesecake Factory here in Detroit when it all began here?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, A Cheesecake Factory is set to open in the Retail Strip of the Book-Cadillac (at least this is what I heard).

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To help jog the memory:

"Always known as an excellent cook, Evelyn created her Original Cheesecake recipe that everyone loved.

By the late 1940's, she opened a small cheesecake shop in Detroit. In order to raise her two small children, David and Renee, Evelyn chose to put off her dream and gave up the shop.

She moved her baking to a kitchen in her basement and continued to supply cakes to several of the best local restaurants.

In 1971, with their children grown, Evelyn and Oscar, now in the their early 50's, decided to move their cheesecake business to Los Angeles. With the last of their savings, they opened a 700 square foot store, "The Cheesecake Factory."

Those early years were extremely lean and sometimes very difficult. Evelyn and Oscar often worked 18-hour days. Evelyn baked and managed the office while Oscar concentrated on selling the cakes and building new accounts."

http://www.thecheesecakefactor y.com/aboutus.htm

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor has it that the owners truly dislike the metro area and won't consider opening a restaurant here. If Des Moines, IA can get a CCF before the D, it could be true.

While the CCF has good food, it's a bit over-rated, in my humble opinion.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rumor has it that the owners truly dislike the metro area and won't consider opening a restaurant here. If Des Moines, IA can get a CCF before the D, it could be true."

We just can't win. People who would be nowhere without Detroit just abandon us after they get what they want.

Club_boss

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There nice for sure, the Cheesecake Factory here in Indy is located @ a mall referred to as Keystone At The Crossing (AKA The Fashion Mall) which is Indy’s version of Somerset.

Properties are beautiful, they look like a million dollar investment; The Cheesecake Factory trades on the NY stock exchange.
There a tad pricy, I’ve been once, no complaints, food is tasty, there is a dessert carryout area to die for.

I could see one at Somerset.

(Message edited by club boss on July 12, 2007)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think the only cheesecake that matters is Junior's in Brooklyn

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6192
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Cheesecake Factor doesn't open in Downtown Detroit, screw them. Go hit Chicago.

If it does open in Detroit I'll check it out and eat their mom and pop cheesecake.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well get one sometime in the 2020's, same way we got a Hard Rock Cafe two decades after everyone else

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"well get one sometime in the 2020's, same way we got a Hard Rock Cafe two decades after everyone else"

Everyone else has had a CF for about 2 decades already....

Club_boss

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don’t understand why Ohio has 5 locations, I can see why Illinois has 5 locations, and Indiana having just one location makes sense to me as well.

Why Michigan, especially in, or near, an Oakland County mall, doesn’t even have one CF does not really make sense to me.

They are all around Michigan, but not in Michigan.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't like you.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like Sonic Drive-ins. You see the commericals all the time, but never see any here. They are down in Ohio.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just like Sonic Drive-ins. You see the commericals all the time, but never see any here. They are down in Ohio."

And Indiana. Face it, the world hates Michigan. They'll come around though when they get tired of that Salt Water.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing that the reason Detroit doesn't have a CF is because metro Detroiters are just realizing this about 10 years after CFies were "cool"...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but Detroit is Cheesecake City. They could have stayed and marketed their product here. What is so screwed up about Michigan and Detroit where we can even attract the lowest form of commercial business in the world?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe Birmingham or West Bloomfield never landed one..it would have flourished there.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is so screwed up about Michigan and Detroit where we can even attract the lowest form of commercial business in the world?"

I think the answer to that would lie in the reasoning for the creation of this site...

ETA: There is no CF in New Orleans either.

(Message edited by iheartthed on July 12, 2007)

Club_boss

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It makes no sense to me that Oakland County, which I believe is one of the ten wealthiest counties in America, doesn’t have one.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following might be real or else I just made it up:

quote:

"The Chessecake Factory was planning on enshrining the basement of the Detroit house of its humble beginnings. At least, until we found that the house no longer exists on its wide urban prairie [whose remaining houses are still being remodeled by industrious scrappers]."

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2849
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy! Let's wait 2 hours to eat overpriced passable food in enormous quantities with terrible service!

If that's what Detroit is aspiring to these days, you should probably all move to Schaumburg or some other God-forsaken mall city.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever, Dan. Forgive us for hoping to have a well known national chain that would make a great destination for the entire metro area. What a horrible thought!

I don't care what anybody else says.. the CF food is pretty damn good. Most people that I have talked to about that place say the same thing.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 892
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares? New York City and New Orleans two of the most popular tourist cities in the country don't have one and they manage perfectly fine without one. Really it sounds like some are defining our worth as a metro whether we have some chain restaurant.

Danindc

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whatever, Dan. Forgive us for hoping to have a well known national chain that would make a great destination for the entire metro area

This is why Detroit is where it is. Everyone is so hellbent on creating these stupid-ass "destinations", they forget how to make a decent PLACE.

Disney World is a destination. Detroit needs to be a city.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NYC proper doesn't have once, but there are several in NYC metro.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BS.... An attractive downtown should have a healthy mix of popular national chains and homegrown businesses.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kindof agree with both arguments. Cheesecake is soo something I would associate with Chicago rather than New York, and I dont kill me but I kindof think as Chicago as a mall city, but at the same time a healthy mix of chains and independents can do wonders for a city in need. Also the food is NOT very good at cheesecake, but I do think the food at Grand Lux Cafe, same owners as cheesecake, is much better. Slim to none chance of that though. Urbanize where you hear that Book Cadillac rumor?...I cant tell if i like that idea. I would associate a much nicer restaurant with the hotel...

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They don't like you"

Iheartthed...I just fell out my chair. =)

(Message edited by vintagesoul on July 12, 2007)

Danindc

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cheesecake is soo something I would associate with Chicago rather than New York, and I dont kill me but I kindof think as Chicago as a mall city, but at the same time a healthy mix of chains and independents can do wonders for a city in need.

Yes, but many people on this board pine for Cheesecake Factory like they would a new BMW--purely as a status icon. Give it up. You don't need some plastic-fantastic crap chain restaurant to define your city.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when a menu is spiral bound, over 40 pages long and filled with advertisements......