Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Boblo boat gets OK to host tours « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 976
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 19, 2007

By MARGARITA BAUZA

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The U.S. Coast Guard has given the Ste. Claire Boblo boat’s crew the go-ahead to open for tours. The Ste. Claire, stationed at the Tricentennial State Park in Detroit since June 22, had been unable to open to the public for tours as it awaited the Coast Guard’s approval.

The boat was tugged from Toledo in June for the Freedom Festival with plans to open it to the public for tours.

“We had to do some updates to the ship,” said Boblo boat owner Ron Kattoo, a doctor at Henry Ford Hospital. “Our crew had to go through some training exercises, man overboard procedures, that sort of thing.”

The tours will run 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday from July 20 through Nov. 9. An entry fee of $5 includes a tour of the 97-year-old vessel. The boat will also be available for parties and events, Kattoo said. All proceeds go to the boat’s restoration.

Kattoo has an immediate goal of raising $5 million to get restorations going as soon as possible. The boat will be placed in dry storage in November for restorations. The target date to finish renovations is 2010.

The boat is docked at 1900 Atwater in Detroit. For information on the boat and for directions, visit bobloboat.com or call 248-933-9500

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070719/NEW S01/70719041

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they planning to keep the boat in Detroit permanently?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to the guys onboard a couple of weeks ago. The boat's here for show and fundraising until November, then it's going into drydock for work. The plan is to run as a charter/excursion boat once the restoration is done and they've been shopping for dockage along the river. So far they've been thinking about somewhere near the bridge to Belle Isle.

(Message edited by lilpup on July 20, 2007)

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully someone will have pictures to post. I worked on the boats during the summer of '84 and have some wonderful memories of the old girls...

and the two boats. OK, bad joke.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some pics that I took when I went on the tour down in Ecorse a while back.

Now, I'm just trying to find a way to shrink the file size down so that I can post them.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcp001 try this:

Go to the thumbnail (icon) of that picture... do a "right click" on that image (a toolbar will display)... go to OPEN WITH.... click MICROSOFT OFFICE PICTURE MANAGER.

Now you should have a big picture of that image. At the top of that screen click on "EDIT PICTURE". On the open menu on the right side, click on "RESIZE".

Now click the "PERCENTAGE OF ORIGINAL WIDTH X HEIGHT" button and fill in a percentage... try 50 percent or more or less. Then Save your image once it falls within the pixle sizes (and less than 50 KB) that the Forum requires.

Also, if your original photo has extra parts that you don't need for the forum pic, you can use the MICROSOFT OFFICE PICTURE MANAGER "EDIT PICTURES" "CROP" function to get rid of too much sky or other peripheral parts of the picture you don't need to show.

One good rule of thumb is to make a copy of your original picture first, so that if your results are not to your liking, you can start over without messing up your original.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 21, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.