Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ugly truth for Detroiters » Archive through July 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rev,
Thank you from the deepest part of my soul for posting that video. I am having a hard time typing because I am crying. Iz made over the rainbow a hymn. Why, oh why, do we simple humans make everything in life so difficult? Can't we just take the energy that we put into disagreeing into agreeing? We are so beautiful and complex. Awe inspiring in every way.
I thank you again for posting this video. I had heard Iz's songs in the past and knew that he did go to the other world, but to see his ashes spread on the ocean with so many people singing,laughing, smiling.....what a life!

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath,

your welcome indeed. Such beautiful words you have to express yourself. Now that's inspiring.

Yes, Iz was a great man. Here we have someone that the world percieves as ugly simply because of his physical appearance and most dismiss him yet, in all honesty I can say this man is probably one of the most beautiful humans I have ever laid my eyes upon.
He has taken a song that we took for granted all these years as it was closely associated with fantasy and as you made us realize turned it into an international hymn with a message of love for all of us to follow.

great words Kath

the good rev

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now these are beautiful words....

'We pledge allegiance to the RED, BLACK, AND GREEN, our flag, the symbol of our eternal struggle, and to the land we must obtain, one NATION OF BLACK PEOPLE, with one GOD of us all, totally united in the struggle, for Black love, Black freedom, and Black self-determination'.

blksoul-atcha!

Revaldullton

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be correct if it were worded this way. Now look and learn son. See below:Now these are beautiful words....

'We pledge allegiance to the RED, BLACK, AND GREEN, our flag, the symbol of our eternal struggle, and to the land we must obtain, one NATION OF ALL PEOPLES, with one GOD of us all, totally united in the struggle, for one love, one freedom, and All people's self-determination'.

blksoul-back atcha! my little misguided brother
May you one day find that eternal peace you yearn for.
I leave you with this my friend.The song begins at 2:53, please enjoy it and its obvious message , one which you have ever so misunderstood or have never heard of before .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mERvwOqsQsQ

the good rev
back atcha!

(Message edited by revaldullton on July 19, 2007)

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the struggle to educate the ignorant continues. I wish you lots of luck on that front.

As Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes once sang "If you don't know me by now (You will never never never know me)"

They have been taught, however they just refuse to learn.

I do admire your undying desire to help educate the eternally stupid. I personally won't waste my time. I find my time better spent working with those that have a clue, and are willing to further their understanding.

The premise that "black people" ought to do this, or should not do that, is too vague for me to comprehend. It also belittles the great legacy of those that have come before us. And the achievements of so many "black people" that are doing this, and not doing that.

While the city of Detroit is not where I would like to see it, that does not diminish the great strides made by the "black people" running the city.

The same can be said about the multitude of black doctors, lawyers, engineers, bus drivers, construction workers, entrepreneurs, etc… that keep getting up every day to continue their dreams and set examples for others.

Has it been a struggle? Damn betcha!

Will it continue to be a struggle? Damn betcha!

Have we come a long way after 400 years of slavery, Jim Crow, unlawful behavior, prejudice, discrimination, racism, nepotism, indifference, insensitivity and immorality?

Hell yes!

Will we give up the fight because of the ignorant?

Hell no!

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rev al, I really think BL_Soul is a fake.

Sorry about what happened in Newark. Hope you are alright

Revaldullton

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ I believe this applies to all sides in this thread. I doubt it was intended for all sides but never the less
We could all learn a little humility and respect from these great people.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PbU tL_0vAJk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf u5oVacms
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qor nQ-HaHDA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YTT kN7BkXzk
the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Mich,

It was Paterson NJ. Thank you for your kind words and yes, soul is a phoney.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NIO CSsThGLY
your gratuitous music video for the day, please enjoy

the good rev

Michigan

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a non sequiter for you Rev, every time I drive through Paterson I want to blast Hurricane.

"In Paterson that's just the way things go...."

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and nearly a week later, white people are still trying to explain racism to black people...

Revaldullton

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this is also vice versa no Iheartthed?

show some love, not ignorance little brother
we will all be forgiven ultimately , this includes you and me.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Mich,

this ones for you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=few 4kiKjNzw

I lived for a time near the falls. Lovely area.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IhearttheD,

Why don't you go to the Pay It Forward thread I started and share some of your stories with us. I know that you have done good in your life for others.
We all have.

It may help kill some of the negativity of this thread.

just a thought
the good rev

(Message edited by revaldullton on July 19, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I believe this is also vice versa no Iheartthed?"

Not really. Most of the PoC's seem to have let you all ramble amongst yourselves, save a special few. This comment on another forum by a desi-American fits pretty well into this discussion right now (the comment was about the Kwik-E-Mart controversy, but same shit different toilet, eh?):

well, yeah, it is kind of pointless asking white people to speak about racism, isn’t it? it’s like asking men to speak authoritavely about sexism. but why preclude yourself totally from the conversation? sorry, i don’t know who you are and am judging you based on your comments, but it is a major pet peeve of mine when any dominant group (white, male, christian) almost puts on a “no one wants to hear what i have to say, i’m constantly being attacked” attitude. grow up!

http://www.ultrabrown.com/post s/step-n-dispense-it

Michigan

Post Number: 769
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rev, I love that song. Had my older kids hooked on Dylan when they were 4 & 5. They're 12 & 11 now. Need to start the 2 yo next!

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English wrote:

"It is like that here in Ann Arbor. The vast majority of black men are dating or married to nonblack women."

This is disturbing. This is not encouraging. If the majority of white men started dating outside of their race, I would be mystified!!!

I would ask "what's wrong with white women, why are you shunning them?"

So if it's true, if in Ann Arbor, most black men are dating outside of their race, then...

Who's loving the sisters? What's wrong with the sisters?

Kathinozarks wrote:

"Why, oh why, do we simple humans make everything in life so difficult? Can't we just take the energy that we put into disagreeing into agreeing? We are so beautiful and complex."

So beautiful and complex? Is this what white folks were saying when they were hightailing it out Detroit from the 50's to the '80's. That we are ALL so beautiful and complex?

Revaldullton

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

I am not saying that you are wrong. Many have made numerous valid points as to the african holocaust.
But many are also blaming only one group of people when in fact numerous groups are to blame for what happened to the great people of Africa, including Africans.

My intentions are not to belittle the holocaust, as you may know my childs ancestors were a part of it, but to try and get people to focus on helping each other to bring up one another and not knock each other down.
We should be building bridges, not burning them my brother. We only have this life for a short time before we are sent off to greater things.
We must use it to help "our people" not rip them apart from one another.

Here is your youtube for the day D. There is a message in here for all of us, if we can understand it and practice it positively then we could change our world.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g50 vzZzAja0

the good rev

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So if it's true, if in Ann Arbor, most black men are dating outside of their race, then...

Who's loving the sisters? What's wrong with the sisters?"

I can't believe he didn't ask himself that question before he said what he did. That said, this really isn't the proper stage for this discussion... but oh boy do I really, really want to discuss this with him!

Revaldullton

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MasterBlaster

Who's loving the sisters? What's wrong with the sisters?

I am, and there is nothing wrong with them. They are beautiful. Just like the rest of our rainbow colored sisters, in fact, so are they.

here is your youtube my friend , take its message forward with good will.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lX3 K35jvY9A

the good rev
the good rev

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8752
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the sisters have learned a lesson from "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" and are taking a longer, harder look at the males who wish to come into their lives. As they look at the crime/unemployment rate in the 'hood, it appears the sisters are increasingly telling some brothas to take a hike.

MEN like the Rev have taken the time to understand the entire picture and apparently are managing just fine with the sisters.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Group a whole bunch of poor rednecks (about 300,000) in one area.. what would happen? (besides inbreeding.. lol

-----------------------------
Glad to see you have no racists thoughts what so ever Dan.....

Better check yourself for your own issues before you come here attempting to preach to others.....Jane

Revaldullton

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please notice that Karl did say 'some' before you hang the guy out to dry as usual.

the good rev

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl is obviously talking out of his ass because I see far less white male/black female couples than I do black male/white female couples... despite seeing far more white males in my day to day activities than I do black males.

But then again what else is new?

English
Username: English

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me, but I AM a sister. And the sisters in Ann Arbor are doing just fine -- probably more fine than too many of my sisters back home! Quite a few are dating or married to black American men. (I was in this group until quite recently.) Others are married/dating black men from elsewhere in the Diaspora. Others are dating men of other races. And still others are single by choice, working on careers and self and NOT putting up with just any old man who comes along!

Look, no one is disturbed by the outmarriage of Asian-American women! That's not considered some crisis. But black men ARE extremely desirable to women of all races, despite the lies that are often said about them. Women who are not black have said to me repeatedly all kinds of things about how much they LOVE black men, in and out of bed. So just like often Asian-American ladies will often choose white men because lots of white men are interested, a growing number of black men are choosing women of other races because other women are now very interested in them! I can't see where that's a bad thing. In the UK, the outmarriage rate for black Britons is 50% for men and 30% for women. Isn't that what our ancestors fought for? A colorblind world? What could be more colorblind than that?

Black women over 30 historically have really had a huge problem with the so-called defection of black men (think Jungle Fever), but younger black women emphatically do NOT. There is a change coming, and coming soon. The ones in the under-25 generation are having fewer teen pregnancies, going to college at increasing rates, AND expanding their dating pool... like one of my godsisters, whom I mentioned up thread, who met her boyfriend freshman year of college and married him 2 weeks ago. And SHE was raised in Detroit, with an (mostly absentee) father who acted like an a--hole when her now-husband asked him for her hand in marriage. Said father, who didn't do much for her while she was growing up, hit the roof. Why? Because he was white! But that was HIS GENERATION'S HANGUP -- NOT that of the hip-hop generation! They were determined to do what they had to do... after all, they'd been together 4 years, and have been adorable together all that time... and Daddy had to come on board, or get left behind!

Supposedly (because statistics lie) over 40% of today's young black women will never marry. That is because they're sitting around waiting to exhale, and not working on loving themselves, and realizing they too deserve to live their best life. If the One comes wrapped in chocolate -- cool, and I'm sure many would prefer that -- but if he comes wrapped another way, more black women need to wake up the way our sisters in Britain have, and open our hearts to the man who is compatible AND stable, and who will make good mates and fathers! And WAIT to have children UNTIL you meet that person (AND until you yourself have your education and a stable career)!

One can be completely secure in their identity, and be open to others. In fact, that will be the lesson of the 21st century. If we don't become global people with a sense of a collective mission -- if we don't abandon ethnic sectarianism -- this century will be as bloody as the 20th century was.

That's all.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys act as if interracial couples are a bad thing.
I love seeing them, I don't care what the make up.
Lets just all start screwing and dilute the black/white population and get this ridiculous anger over color done with.

the good rev

English
Username: English

Post Number: 547
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black women have historically not outmarried at the same rates as black men for two reasons.

1) During slavery (and to some extent, Jim Crow), white men had unfettered access to black women, raping and non-consensual sex was the norm. OTOH, black men could die for even looking at a white woman for too long! So on the one hand, you have many black women who feel that to date/marry a white man is to ignore that legacy. For black men, it's different. They get what they subconsciously may see as "forbidden fruit" and a trophy wife.

2) Perceptions of the desirability of black men and black women in today's society are very different. Black men are desired by women of all races, because of notions of their sexual prowess, masculinity, and power. We black women get the short end of the stick when it comes to "the most feminine" or "the most pretty", too often. I wear my natural hair, and right now, it's short -- that is the opposite of the long, flowing locks most men find desirable. We are very often full-figured... I am sure I would not have as many opportunities to date outside the race if I wasn't a skinny mini -- and that's real talk. AND, although this isn't as important as the hair and the weight, we aren't the acceptable ivory-to-olive skintone range. My mother and sister are "light skinned" and they do attract much more attention (even among brothers) than me or my darker-skinned sisters. Finally? The 400 year old rep that black people have for being oversexed benefits men but really hurts the perception of us women.

So, Ihearthed, that's the reason for the disparity. I don't expect it to ever level -- the average black man will find a nonblack mate quicker than the average black woman, thanks to society, history, and media sterotypes.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

you are a godsend my beautiful sister and refreshing to say the least.

here is your gift

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kyq F5H0MUaM

the good rev

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>English

I stated several posts upthread that this wasn't the place for this discussion... If you want to dialogue about it then give me your email and we can talk.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, I do see many white men / black women couplings.

Very many. I think the world has more open people then these stats seem to lead on.
This is just my opinion of course.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IhearttheD,

she can say what ever she wants. This thread is about race relations and inter marriage is a huge part of it.

Why the control freak attitude?

the good rev