Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » WTF? 16,000 Iraqi refugees to Warren and Sterling Heights « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can they be serious?
Our economy isn't that great as it is.
We need another 16,000 people looking for jobs here?

From the Detroit News

Warren Mayor Mark Steenbergh claims the federal government is looking to relocate more than 16,000 Iraqi refugees to Warren and Sterling Heights -- and there's no way his city can handle it.
From City of Warren...
Warren Mayor Questions Placement of Iraqi Refugees in City
Mayor Mark Steenbergh “extremely concerned” over possibility of thousands of refugees being placed in Warren

Warren - Thousands of Iraqi refugees may soon be placed in Warren, according to information provided to city officials. “I don’t understand how the federal government believes we can handle those kinds of numbers,” said Mayor Mark Steenbergh. “If the numbers shared with my staff are accurate, I’m extremely concerned that we cannot handle this burden placed upon our resources.”
Warren officials have been discussing the Iraqi refugee placement with staff from the Macomb County Planning Department. County officials told local officials at a meeting held last week that the possibility of thousands of refugees coming to Warren exists. County planners say the federal government agreed to accept up to 25,000 Iraqi refugees to the United States this past April. In order to obtain refugee status with the United States Department of State, applicants must first list someone living here as a contact person. As such, sixty-six percent of the total refugee allotment may be located in the cities of Warren and Sterling Heights due to the large number of Iraqi immigrants already residing in those communities.
“We were told ninety Iraqi refugees are due to arrive very soon with many more to follow,” said Steenbergh. “I’ve been told that these refugees will be given assistance in locating housing and in learning English. Will the City of Warren receive assistance for the burden placed upon our services with so many people set to arrive? Will our schools be given assistance with the need to educate so many more non – English speaking children?”
“My biggest concern is where the refugees will find employment?” asked Steenbergh. “The economy is horrible in southeastern Michigan. Where are the jobs the refugees will need? Long time Warren residents are having trouble finding jobs. This is not the time to add more people to a shrinking pool of employment.”
Steenbergh plans to contact federal officials to clarify the Iraqi refugee situation: “We are in the process of working with our federal elected officials, including President George Bush, about this. These numbers are staggering. As long as I’m mayor, I will oppose any plan to unfairly burden our community.”

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may actually help the local economy a little if the government is buying up houses to put these folks into. There's a lot of slow selling homes in Warren. True enough though if people all ready living there can't find work, not sure what these people can do besides live on gov't money.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can this be? WTF is right! Don't the citizens of a city have a say? Not even the Mayor? Crap, we are doomed.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 908
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of the vacant land and housing in Detroit, why not relocate them to the D????

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly Sknutson.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is that old saying? Be careful what you ask for..

I see many on these lists hoping people would move into the area instead of out.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I sold my home back in 2005, my agent said that home prices on the west side of Sterling Hts. had been appreciating about 2% a year more than those on the other side of town simply because of the demand created by recent Iraqi and east Asian immigrants who prefer to live near those who have preceded them to that area. When they arrive they either live in Detroit or an inner ring suburb - or with relatives elsewhere in the area - until they can afford to buy their own home in Warren, Sterling Hts. Dearborn, etc. The newer immigrants get far more economic assistance from their relatives already here than they do from the government.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People,
I do not understand the frustration upon people moving to Metro Detroit. This has nothing to do with race or class or anything like that. We sit here and bitch all day long about all the people leaving metro Detroit to go elsewhere. This is a chance to add population. Although a burden at first eventually they will find jobs and blend into the local economy, at which time they will buy good and services and help the local economy. The backbone of Las Vegas is not built on 75k jobs, its the service sector, and I don't see where we are in any condition to complain about people moving to the area.

JD

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, assimilation should occur quickly. I am sure that most of the 16,000 refugees, once they have settled into Metro Detroit, will pack up and leave Michigan for California, Georgia, North Carolina or Arizona within a couple of years.... :-)

Middetres
Username: Middetres

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Immigrants grow economies and make them more diverse and dynamic. Detroit would do itself a favor by actively pursuing more immigration. Immigrants don't take jobs other people want, and they often create their own opportunities. If Detroit targeted four or five immigrant groups with a strong local presence already, and committed itself to absorbing 5,000 a year from each group, with the help and commitment of the existing communities, not only would the economy improve, Detroit would go along way to reversing years of population decline and economic stagnation.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stop bitching. we NEED immigrants here. if you don't want them in warren, bring them to midtown detroit, we'd love to have them. i will personally shake the hand of ANYONE moving to detroit. (this offer stands, just alert me to where and when the hand shaking will take place and we can arrange something)

Cliff19336
Username: Cliff19336

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Steenbergh is wrong. I think the amount of Iraqi immigrants coming into the country is only 16,000. I think Warren and Sterile WHites are targeted because they have large Chaldean and Iraqi residents, but there is no way those two cities could absorb that many new immigrants. I agree with sknutson, bring them to Detroit. Detroit needs immigrants who will work hard!

Helpwanted
Username: Helpwanted

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are a lot of empty homes for sale in redford.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rip off the feds on this one. Have them come and get triple whats needed for it.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's great news. Warren is losing population more quickly than Detroit. I get the feeling Steenbergh may suffer from more than just a little xenophobia.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Ya think?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit wouldn't be where it is today without the poor undesirable blacks from the south, and poor undesirable Europeaners.

Anyway, I think the new immigrants will make a positive addition to our economy and culture.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4706
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sterling Heights has a huge Chaldean community in the Ryan corridor area. It starts around I'd say in Warren around 12 Mile and goes on up to Hall Road. Many of these people came here with nothing and built up successful businesses. Theses refugees will go to where they are most welcome. It’s not logical for them to relocate to Dearborn due to the friction between Chaldeans and Christians in Iraq. These refugees will trust Middle-Easterners with Christian backgrounds over a Muslim any day.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you are in assisted living and their children are taking care of you, you'll be grateful.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys,

I think this whole thread made a huge mistake is assessing the impact of the Iraqis coming in.
They will not be "Immigrants" as we widely understand it, but "Refugees". There is a huge difference between both. Immigrants willingly chose a location and usually have some financial luaggage coming in, have some sort of degree or motivation to build something new.
"refugee" is a tragic word. Literally to 'seek refuge somewhere else". I wouldn't be surprised if these folks have nothing, are both financially and mentally devastated.

My opinion: we declared the war on Iraq, thus we have to deal with the refugee problem and alleviate some of the suffering there by accepting refugees in our country. Heck, Norway is #1 on the list of accepting most Iraqi refugees (Denmark right behind). Britain has been refusing most if not all of them.

These guys will need fed assistance and 'subsidized' housing. I believe Warren mayor, already pissed at the fact that Warren just built a huge mosque, how could he accept another few thousand "Islamic Muslim Islamists"! ;)

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park needs people.
But I think Birmingham is best.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4709
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steenbergh can't really do shit since he's on his way out.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County Enlightening the World

Give me your white, your solvent,
Your well-washed masses yearning to drive everywhere,
The fanny-pack wearing throng of exurban swarm.
Send these, the home-buyers, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp from Ray to Saint Claire Shores!"

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd... A+

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6241
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Warren (the White man's Ghetto) and Sterling Heights needs a Iraqi community. It worked for Dearborn with all the new shops and community centers. Those Iraqis can turn the community around.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hee hee. Thanks, Abbie.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The refugees must have a contact person in the area where they are going. They will probably have family or friends in the area and have jobs waiting for them.

And, from what I have heard, they are NOT muslims, they are Chaldeans or Christian Iraqi's. Their church will help them out. They have a very strong sense of community and helping each other.

They will work at the most menial jobs for hours on end to take care of their families. There are plenty of these type of jobs out there because some of us consider those jobs "beneath" us.

There's plenty of housing. I live in Warren and the complex I live in has about 30% vacancy rate. There are signs up everywhere. The problem will be credit checks and such that most landlords insist on nowadays.

I think it's much ado about nothing. Besides... the Statue of Liberty still says "Give me your tired, your poor, etc etc."

And Patrick...I sure hope you're right!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.