Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » LA's downtown did it. Why cant Detroit's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.latimes.com/news/lo cal/la-me-southpark19jul19,0,4 324351.story?page=1&coll=la-ho me-local

Grocery store returns to a revitalized downtown neighborhood:
A big part of that dream involves a supermarket. When the downtown residential boom began, many of the new residents complained about the lack of a major supermarket in the city center. Many residents drive several miles away to stock up on groceries.

The opening of the Ralphs Fresh Fare is considered a symbolic boost for downtown — the latest sign that big retailers believe the downtown loft and condo community is strong enough to support their stores. Boosters hope that if Ralphs succeeds, other retailers will follow.

I believe The outfit that owns "Ralphs" are the same people that own "Krogers".

Reading the story, it sounds an aweful lot like the situation we have here in Detroit. For the most part anyway.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3795
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup.
Of course, there was already a "market" in downtown LA, Grand Central Market, a bit like Eastern Market, (but not as good.)
And there's lots of little ethnic markets around downtown. But the explosion of loftaminiums and new condos in Downtown LA demands a chain grocery and now they have one.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to that study done a few months ago, there is demand in downtown & midtown for a few more decent sized grocery stores.

Adm70
Username: Adm70

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Central Market is nothing like Eastern Market and Ralphs was highly "incentivized." (I am a former DTLA resident - now in OC)

(Message edited by adm70 on July 20, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe me if there is money to be made, someone will take advantage of the situation.
I thought it was funny that Councilwoman Conyers was threatening Krogers with a boycott if they didn't move a store into Detroit.
What is she going to do, bus out picketers to the suburbs?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6251
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be like Black Detroiters declaring WAR against Krogers. Forget it Conyers, Krogers can go whatever they want. They screw Detroit for the 2nd time so don't shop there. Krogers destroyed Farmer Jack and soon they are launching a plan to destroy those Arab owned Spartan Stores and other independent markets. But folks in Detroit must give up hope. We still have Spartan Stores, E&L Supermarcado, Gigante Supermarcado, Glory Supermarket and Mike's Market. Independent markets are also making a comeback to Detroit's ghettohoods and it would support the black community with ease.

By the way the closest Kroger Supermarket to Detroit is 8 Mile and Wyoming at Royal Oak TWP.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about that nice grocery store on Jefferson by Indian villiage?

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what about that nice grocery store on Jefferson by Indian village?" If your thinking of the farmer jack its gone, and i can't believe kroger didn't jump on that as this store was very busy.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incentives or no, The opening of a Ralph's in Downtown LA is a good move, as there is an explosion of new downtown housing here.
Grand Central Market is a shadow of Eastern Market, but that's the closest thing I can compare it to. And while the south end of DTLA had no grocery stores, the north end of DTLA has not one but two large Japanese Grocery stores in Little Tokyo, both of them chain stores. (I used to live across the street from one of them.)
However, many people living in LA can't conceive of anything being a grocery store unless it is Ralph's or Von's, just as many people living in the Detroit area don't consider anything that is not Kroger's or Farmer Jacks or Meijer's a grocery store, despite the number of quality independent grocery stores throughout the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.