Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Carjacker shot and killed » Archive through July 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A driver pulls into a Detroit gas station and is confronted by a man demanding his vehicle at gunpoint. However, police say the would-be carjacker, one of Michigan's most violent fugitives, was shot and killed by the victim." Police are seeking to question the citizen, who fled the scene.

Awww, gee. I hope they find him....

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something tells me the shooter ain't no choirboy either.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248, I heard about this Friday on WJR. According to one at work, it happened on Thursday, at Mack and Van Dyke, here:

http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_87 45.jpg?t=1184503639
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_87 02.jpg?t=1184503665

Bonus: he (the shooter) got one of 'Americas Most Wanted'. I just hope he has his paper on this. Till then I'll hold off on the "Woot". But in any case, ya gotta admit, Detroiters shoot well.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on July 15, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you buy the argument that only a handful of miscreants are responsible for the vast majority of crime, then this is a real bonus for the DPD.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 826
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, I'm not sure I buy that argument at all. Are you doing your part?

Lilpup

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my part of being a miscreant?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6206
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NO SNITCHING law really works here in Detroit. No one is going to tell about the crimes until a reward is being posted.

As for the witness please go to the police and tell the crime scene. You won't get hurt just keep your name unknown.

Like the bible says " For those who do right and know it and didn't do it, to him is is SIN!"

(Message edited by danny on July 15, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that's one way to clean up the neighborhood.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did the guy flee the scene if he was so innocent?

Because the guy knew he commited an act a vigilance, and also could have gotten arrested for it.

If people knew how to handle a situation without resorting to a third-hand resolution, we would all live in a more peaceful world.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or he was afraid the carjacker had buddies around

If the shooter was scared Joe Citizen, like the earlier case with the man at the carwash, he might turn up, perhaps after seeking legal counsel.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"or he was afraid the carjacker had buddies around

If the shooter was scared Joe Citizen, like the earlier case with the man at the carwash, he might turn up, perhaps after seeking legal counsel."

Let's not forget, there were other witnesses around as well.

In other words, you thought this act was commited by a gangster. How close-minded is that.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've made absolutely no assumption about who the shooter was, just that he might have fled out of fear - would that be unusual after killing someone?

My comment about the DPD bonus was for the dead guy being one of their most wanted.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 828
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who ever he is, he was ready. Let that be a lesson to us all. I say give him a medal! Question out to Club_Boss: What kind of firearm works best here? Ammo?

Just jerkin' yr' chain Lilpup. We know your as pure as wind driven snow...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point is, why did he flee the scene if he was only defending himself?

Self-Defense can only go so far til you cross the border of vigilance, which the victim did.

Did he really have to go as far as to shooting and killing the guy? I think not.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, remind me not to ride with you in the event you ever get carjacked.

Besides, the owner in question might have taken off because there is a bit of a legal problem with a motorist carrying a firearm around in an unlocked storage area.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^The law in Michigan makes it very unlikely that anyone in this guy's situation can ever go too far...

A law passed last year says that now you don't even have to try to flee...if someone comes up to you and threatens you, your are free to use deadly force to defend yourself...

Urbanize...did you not read the article..the guy stuck a gun in his face and demanded his car...he absolutely had to shoot and kill the guy

Lilpup

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you guarantee the carjacker wouldn't have shot and killed him for his car? We're talking equal armament here. It would have been different had the carjacker been using a knife, or maybe hadn't shown his gun...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup

^according to MCL 780.951 that was passed last year, not even that would make it any different...

According to this new law, a person can use deadly force in self defense if they have a reasonable believe that death or great bodily harm will occur to them or someone else and they are no longer required by law to attempt to flee first...

such persons are also completely immune from any kind of civil liability arising out of such use of deadly force

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My point is, why did he flee the scene if he was only defending himself?

Self-Defense can only go so far til you cross the border of vigilance, which the victim did.

Urbanize, you are the biggest fucking retard on the face of the earth. First, look up the definition of the word "vigilance", the shooter was indeed being vigilant but the word you are looking for is VIGILANTE.

And no, self-defense is NOT vigilantism, you criminal-loving piece of shit. Again, you don't the what the fuck you are talking about. Michigan state law allows people to defend themselves with deadly force in public if confronted with a gun-wielding criminal. At best, the shooter would be charged with unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon, just like the guy who shot Proof a while back. He would NOT be charged with manslaughter or anything related to the shooting itself.

The fact that you value the lives of criminals so much that you think the people should NEVER under any circumstances defend themselves just tells me all I need to know about you. Next time someone wants to kick your ass, be sure to stand there and get pummeled. Don't even raise your hands in self-defense, remember that would be vigilantism and violence is never the answer.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray one dead shithead..........my guess is the shooter will consult an atty and turn himself in within the week.Why put up with bullshit police strongarm tactics.When these things happen unless one is a thoroughly trained person it is natural to become disoriented. The shooter will have an atty that will know how to navigate the system.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 730
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe that the "victim" was a choir boy either Lilpup. The point I was making is I don't think the DPD is going to make it one of their top priorities to catch the guy who did this. The criminal just picked the wrong guy to pick on this time and got "street justice".

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11634
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize is either "Suburbanize, or is another one of Detroit's most wanted who shows pitty for the bad guy.

I'd like to touch upon a few topics/questions from above.

quote:

Something tells me the shooter ain't no choirboy either.

Why, because a law abiding citizen would never protect their own life of property through use of force?

quote:

If you buy the argument that only a handful of miscreants are responsible for the vast majority of crime, then this is a real bonus for the DPD.

Well, not sure what you are basing your assumption on, but in my experience, it is usually true. When a bunch of wheels start getting stolen in our neighborhood, it goes in waves. When they happen to catch those responsible, which they have on a few occasions, the stealing of wheels usually goes away for 6 months to a year. Same has been true for muggings and break-ins, after a person is caught, both fall off for lengthy periods. Sorry, I'm not buying into your rational that the MAJORITY of Detroiters are criminals.

quote:

Why did the guy flee the scene if he was so innocent?

Because the guy knew he commited an act a vigilance, and also could have gotten arrested for it.

Why would he flee the scene? Because more often than not, the carjacker was with their buddies, who are still nearby waiting in a car. The person just had a gun in their face, and the possibility of the carjackers friends may have convinced them to leave out of fear.

As for the act of vigilance, perhaps you should get up to speed on the current law in regards to protecting yourself. Within the past year, Granholm signed into law that you no longer have the responsibility to flee when your life is in danger, whether you be at home, or out in public, you now can legally stand your ground without fear of a civil or criminal law suit. Now that still means it has to be justified, as it appears it was in this case. Now, if the driver was illegally carrying their weapon, then they may face criminal charges, which could be the reason they fled, yet I'm not so quick to jump to this conclusion.

quote:

Question out to Club_Boss: What kind of firearm works best here? Ammo?

I'll offer my 2 cents. I'd go with either a .40 or .45 cal, with hallow point ammo. Winchester Ranger seems to be some pretty nasty stuff. The hallow point peals back and creates petals that cut like a propellar through whatever gets in the way.

quote:

Did he really have to go as far as to shooting and killing the guy? I think not.

Self defense only goes so far...yeah, like defending one's self against somebody who sticks a gun in your face? Shooting such a person before they shoot you is crossing the line? What warped, twisted, and fucked up kind of world are you living in? Very few situations would justify pulling the trigger on somebody. Them sticking a gun in your face seems like one of them to me. Perhaps I just value my life more than you do yours.

quote:

Can you guarantee the carjacker wouldn't have shot and killed him for his car?

Well, if the carjacker had pulled the trigger, then he wouldn't have been able to flee, and you would have been much happier since you would have had all your questions answered, eh fucktard?

Seriously, how can anybody stick up for the gun yielding bad guy trying to steal somebody's car? This guy's death made Detroit just a little bit safer.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would he have pulled the trigger? My mom had about a thousand proverbs and wise sayings, two of them were-If you aren`t stealing my melons, then don`t tie your shoelaces in my melon patch, and don`t do evil and don`t give the appearance of evil.

Take your pick, they are free of charge!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4685
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you live by the gun there is a chance you will die by the gun.

Darwin rules.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeeeaaahhhh!!!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fine example of trash removal. Detroit's a bit safer today- one les thug on the streets. Having said that I won't be surprised if someone that knew the dead car jacker will tell us all what a wonderful peace loving person he was.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 952
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooked like a goose!

1 down! Its a wonderful thing.

Danny

Post Number: 6211
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's how Detroit Black population is down, BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing all the innocent people using the gas station for...well gas...were not murdered by the senseless open gun fire that haunts the night air here in good ole Detroit. One of these days it's going to be you or me standing there and the spray of bullets will go astray.

Danny

Post Number: 6214
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and WE HOPE WE SURVIVE in the ghettos of Detroit.

Watching crazy folks packin' heat.