Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Zoo politics - Tell me it aint so! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 762
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, please, please tell me all the fuss about Ron Kagan wasn't backroom politics because he sent Winky and Wanda to California!

Stance on Wanda and Winky brought trouble for Kagan

Wanda and Winky didn't just strike a nerve with their adoring public. The debate in 2004 over where the Detroit Zoo's aging elephants belonged got zoo Director Ron Kagan -- who said elephants shouldn't be kept in cold-weather zoos -- into trouble with a national zoo organization and with a colleague from another zoo who hit him during a professional meeting, according to documents obtained by the Free Press.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070721/NEWS03/ 707210334/1001/NEWS

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I strongly suspect that this has more to do with the tax hike that they'll be ramming down our throats yet again next year (Great shades of Prop K!).

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The backers of The Detroit Zoo are quietly pushing behind the scenes for a regional tax hike to support the zoo.

They are trying to put on a happy face, and show that everything is running smoothly, in order to help rationalize that the money generated from these taxes won't be misspent.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess he actually believed the lies he told. Making waves in a professional organiztion with false credentials is just plain dumb.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, ok.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Mcp, but your statement has absolutely NOTHING to do with the news article. The article "hinted" that someone with a grudge did some background checks on Kagan - and then came the miraculous discovery that he never received his Phd.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.