Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old downtown YMCA « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so I was under the assumption that it was designed by Kahn. But when I cracked open my "Buildings of Detroit" to find out the year that it was built, it alludes to the YMCA being built in 1883 by Mason & Rice. Is this a different YMCA? Strangely, the one I'm looking for (the one leveled in '98 to make way for Comerica Park) is not in the book. Does anyone for sure know when it was built and which architect designed it?

www.photobucket.com/albums/s16 4/rhymeswithrawk/Detroit%20pos tcards/ymca4.jpg

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a nice building...too bad Chuck Forbes did not own it and move it to another lot. For that matter the Wolverine ect....Lots of really nice buildings fell for Comerica. Oh well, all in the name of progress I guess.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Forbes DID own it, didn't he? Isn't he the guy who salvaged the Pewabic from the swimming pool to put in the Century Club's bar? Maybe he just bought the tile, I dunno.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4899
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Forbes did own the YMCA, the YWCA and the Wolverine Hotel. But the smaller Gem/Century (heaviest building ever moved on wheels at that time) and Elwood were the only things that could be moved. The others were just too big, too tall and too heavy.

The balustrade in front of the Gem/Century entrance courtyard came from either the top of the YMCA or the YWCA, can't remember which.

As for Albert Kahn... he worked for Mason & Rice for a number of years. I don't think that the YMCA that was razed dated as far back as 1883. It dates to a more recent date (probably 1905-20).

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upon further reading of "Buildings of Detroit," I'm ashamed to say, it says the YMCA was at Griswold and Grand River. The YMCA I'm looking for was on Adams, so it must have been a different one. I'm wondering if the detroityes photos, which say it was the HQ and first YMCA in the region, needs to be updated. Lowell?

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little tidbit about the downtown YMCA. My grandfather stayed at the YMCA when he came home from World War II. He told me the story of him coming to the city and falling in love with the beautiful streets. I believe he said he went to the Adams Theatre to see a show and he saw his first black squirrel. He is from Winona, Minnesota. He eventually settled down in Roseville with his wife and six children, but then moved to Warren. He was a baseball and football coach and a drafting teacher at Roseville High School. And asked to be inducted into the high school coaches hall of fame. He is now retired and still resides in Warren with his wife and son.

Figured that was an interesting thing to talk about.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, while searching for info on the Hotel Ste. Claire, I found on Wikipedia that it was Donaldson and Meier that built the YMCA in question, though Wikipedia is obviously an unofficials source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D onaldson_and_Meier

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on July 21, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 802
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone wants to know, it was built in 1909, by the way. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.