Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Rosedale Park Area Questions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Keeler
Username: Keeler

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a hotel, at least I think it was, at the corner of Grandville and Grand River? Also wasn't there a Kresge store near Grand River and Southfield?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to DY Keeler. I grew up closer to Puritan. Yes, there was a Kresge's in the Grandland Shopping Center, a few blocks west of the Southfield, situated between Grand River to the north and Fenkell to the south. Grandland was recently discussed here, some interesting comments and recollections

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/102621.html

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the time frame? As far as I remember, Kregar's "Pickwick House" restaurant filled the block between Outer Drive and Grandville on the south side of the street, Dunkin' Donuts (now Elias Donuts) was on the SE corner, and the north side of Grand River is filled with storefronts. Kregar's had a parking lot on the east side of the building on the corner of Grandville, so maybe that was something else before my time. I don't know what was on the other corner before the donut shop.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also had an A & P plus a Great Scott over there off the intersection of Grand River, Fenkell and Southfield.
The White Castle has been replaced by a K of C. on Southfield service drive.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kresges had store next to Montgomery Wards on Grand River and Greenfield.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My RP background does not go back far enough to know of a hotel in that area before the 70's. During the 70's, there was not a hotel in the Grandville and Grand River area.

Keeler
Username: Keeler

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input. I am pretty sure it was the Kregar's "Pickwick House" restaurant I was thinking about. I remember now that it was not frequented by my family and may have been force to close. Perhaps that was just a neighborhood legend, though.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kressgee also had a store in Grandland. It became a McCrory just as dime stores were being replaced by large drug stores like Perry and Arbor.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cregar's site now houses a medical bldg. I don't think a hotel was ever there. You're coreect...you may be thinking of Cregar's additional ID...The Pickwick House. I believe it closed simply because of lack of diners, although there was an FBI sting there during the late 70's or early 80's but it didn't have anything to do with the ownership, simply the local politicos that frequented the place.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3799
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cregar's, like Sanders, was a popular place decades ago, but their clients died off.
One of my friends was a busboy there just before they closed, and commented that the average age of the customers, as well as the waitstaff, seemed to be 75. He remembers one poor waitress dropping dead of a heart attack, tray in hand.
The FBI sting targeted Realtor Darylyn Bowers, a crony of Coleman Young who made a fortune blockbusting during the end of the NW Detroit White Flight of the 70's. She was also tied to the Vesco Oil Co. scandal, if I recall.
Cregar's still maintains a catering business out of Meadowbrook Hall, I believe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.