Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Great Lakes cruises to end. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw this blurb in "Budget Travel" Magazine.
It looks like when (if ever) the Port-Authority Terminal gets built it will receive little use.

Cruising to a Finish
When we featured Hapag-Lloyd's Great Lakes cruises last summer, we had no idea that their sailing days were numbered: After seven years of falling water levels, the lakes are becoming too shallow for the company's Columbus. The ship's draft is now too big to enter ports such as Sault Ste. Marie. This fall will be the last foreseeable chance to sail on the Columbus through all five lakes on one of its three itineraries departing from Chicago or Toronto (depending on date).

$2,315
Includes 10 or 11 nights (varies by date), all meals and lectures on board, and port taxes. When: Sept. 17 (from $2,315); Sept. 27 (from $2,520); Oct. 8 (from $2,420). SS: From $745. Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, 877/445-7447, www.hl-cruises.com.

Here's a link to a thread with some pictures of the Columbus.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/89914/99362.html?1176320 918
Top of pageBottom of page

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow; that's interesting. i had heard that they were doing a refit on the columbus and then it's be back in a few years. i can't remember where i saw the article, but it was on great lakes cruising. of the two other cruise ships on the lakes, one other will be gone next season leaving only one ship to cruise the lakes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.