Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Skip School, Lose License « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Illinois...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-truantdrivers_b d22jul22,1,601693.story?coll=c hi_tab01_layout

"A state law that went into effect July 1 will revoke the licenses of students who have more than 18 unexcused absences from school, are expelled or drop out."

Interesting bit from IL on kids losing their driver's license if they frequently skip school. Possible for Detroit to utilize to improve attendance? May not be the best solution however its good thinking towards trying to solve a serious problem.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A suspended license isn't going to prevent Detroit kids from driving. I'll bet that most of them aren't even insured.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find that most of my students don't get a license until they are 18 (this does not mean they don't drive before they are 18...plenty do). If they do have a license before they turn 18 then they don't have access to a car. Don't see this working in Detroit. Suburbs, maybe.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, I remember taking Driver's Training at Henry Ford High School back in the late 60's and we had a guy drive to and from class. His girlfriend would get him after class and she's scoot over and he get behind the wheel and drive off.
Until parents hold kids responsible, not much will change.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.