Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ugly truth for Detroiters » Archive through July 20, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, I think you are really cool. Thanks for the great posts.

IHD- are you hitting on her? wink-wink

I think the image of black women has suffered at the hands of media outlets for decades. However, over the last decade I have seen a real change in the perception of black women as beautiful. Here in NY Black women with white men is quite prevalent. In fact, if I may hypothesize here, it may in fact be a statement of the white man's virility and sexual ability if he is seen with a black women. Sometimes the intentions of stereotypes are subverted by their own success. A cultural blowback if you will.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 548
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to the Rev! Michigan, yes, exactly -- it shocked me too but is quite prevalent on the west and east coasts (and in pockets of the South). Not just that, but you see Latino/Asian pairings, Asian/Black, Middle Eastern/Latino -- all kinds. What a novel idea -- people loving each other because of compatibility alone! Wow!

Okay, Ihearthed, you're right -- I am offtopic. People can certainly email me. I don't have anything to hide, because old forumers know who I am. Years ago, when I lived in Midtown in the first 1/2 of the decade, taught @ CT and went to WSU, I hung out a few times with forumers. I was a regular at Cafe's, and loved ItsJeff, whom I had the good luck to lunch with. Anyone who wishes to contact me may do so at my University of Michigan address. My uniqname is ebonyt -- and I look forward to chatting with you.

Back to your regularly scheduled bashing :-) ... hey, did anyone see the Detroit News today? "Detroit's Racial Divide: 40 Years Later". The # of whites who would prefer to live in an evenly mixed neighborhood has jumped from 28% in 1987 to 49% in 2007. Just think what things will be like in 2027! I am optimistic about change, even in my hometown! :-)

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know you English, but I already love you.

Thank you for your open heart. We could use more like you in this life.

the good rev

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some interesting and eye opening undertones on this thread, I would comment on them but I don't want to break up the love fest.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. I'm waiting for Terryh to chime in.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG

perfct gentlemen as always.

for you friend:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q8U 6Oh9uSY8

the good rev

Michigan

Post Number: 781
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why break it up, why not just join in and say what's on your mind?

Revaldullton

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These 2 have harnessed the proper ideals

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j0j gUbB1Igg

the good rev

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8755
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English' #546 + 547 + 548 = Best posts of the week.

Apparently spoken as a true Wolverine?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote" it may in fact be a statement of the white man's virility and sexual ability if he is seen with a black women"

This is an insult to black folks in general and especially women. Like they are an object to be seen with.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she meant it in the same way as black men are known for their sexuality, the fact that a black woman would take a white man, only shows that the myths between the 2 are just that, myths.

Don't read into it to much. It was meant no other way I'm sure of it.

I actually anticipated someone saying something like this.

the good rev

Michigan

Post Number: 783
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No insult intended Sstashmoo. Just expanding on English's very true and very insightful (maybe inciteful would be better) statement, "The 400 year old rep that black people have for being oversexed benefits men but really hurts the perception of us women."

People often are objectified, especially women. Our language is full of terms used specifically to define a women as an object that conveys some glory to the man she is with, e.g. trophy wife.
To deny that many men vest a substantial amount of their self esteem in the women that they are seen with would be naive.

(Message edited by michigan on July 19, 2007)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Exactly. The entire thread has been rife with stereotypes. I was trying to explain their origin. If anyone wants further clarification, I've got lots of books that explain how this mess came to be.

I'm starting to think that what Detroit needs is new blood, so we can enter the 21st century with the rest of the Western world. There are so many people across the world who are industrious and hardworking, and want the American dream. What the city should do is actively recruit large #s (as in many tens of thousands, even 100,000+) of entrepreneurial immigrants from the Third World (Latin America, Africa, SE Asia, and even the Middle East), and try to get some legislation passed to expedite their paperwork. So what if Detroit is violent? Many of the places these new Detroiters would hail from would be more so. So what if the schools are bad? The school system would improve with more two parent homes and cultures that value education strongly. AND -- it wouldn't even require white paternalism. Detroit would still be a majority-minority city, if that is what is so important to the black nationalists. I daresay that it would even improve the lives of the folks @ home who are stuck in pathos. There'd still be crime (all big cities have lots of crime), but there would also be jobs.

Within 10 years, we wouldn't even need to have this conversation. The city would be a different place... and that's the NOT-so-ugly truth.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eh hum,,,,^^^^ what they said.^^^^total agreement , I love showing off my gorgeous bride.

I'm lucky that she would have me and have no problem showing I am proud to be with her.

the good rev

Karl

Post Number: 8756
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, on another thread some time ago I suggested that Detroit offer 500,000 (fill-in-blank, anyone but "white" or "black") upstanding immigrants who had some education, no record, a bit of money, etc and offer them a free home in Detroit - then stand back and watch.

The only catch - they'd have to stay put for at least 10 years or be deported.

There would be millions "lined up" to get in.

(would perhaps require each to be able to operate a gun to avoid any "surprises")

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote" People often are objectified, especially women. Our language is full of terms used specifically to define a women as an object that conveys some glory to the man she is with, e.g. trophy wife.
To deny that many men vest a substantial amount of their self esteem in the women that they are seen with would be naive.

Some men do, Most men I know don't. Relying on the outward appearance of your partner to feel good about yourself? Thats sad.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me , all men are pigs.....now is that what some may consider a stereotype? Love, Jane :-)

Revaldullton

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol ZThere is nothing wrong with wanting your significant other to be attractive.

Women like showing off their men also so please .

and no, we are not all pigs. lol

the good rev

Karl

Post Number: 8758
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane said: "To me , all men are pigs"

Ladies, meet Jane. (you can have her)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes we are Rev..what the hell are you talking about

Michigan

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, I agree a homesteading program might be just what Detroit needs. It really could work.

OINK OINK :-)

Karl

Post Number: 8760
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at MI - and I agree:

To the Janes of the world"

OINK OINK:-)

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kkk quoted....

quote:

'To the Janes of the world"

OINK OINK'

and to the 'kkkarls' of the world...

OINK OINK__ I couldn't have said it whiter err better!__go figure!

blksoul-atcha!

Revaldullton

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blk Soul get a life seriously. You are tired and played.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladies,

this one is for you. We are not all pigs. Despite the men that are in agreement that they are. lolol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fo5 wR6tjtBc
enjoy!

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and Ladies,

I could not leave this one out. Enjoy, you really are important to us despite the barbs displayed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CV2 lOUBTIE8

the good rev

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ouch

used to work with a guy who had this understanding with his wife - 'all women are bitches and all men are pigs'

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"blk soul= mayor
accra=stylin
just come out of the closet guys , its ok . Im sure the regulars will still drink with you."

Oh Lord just because you are really Dexterpointing doesnt mean I have to be this guy now. Are you still melting down or what?

(edited because I think I might have been to harsh on the good rev.)

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on July 20, 2007)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have finally had a chance to read all of the posts on this topic and I have a few things I need to say. First off, let me just say this, "WHITE PEOPLE AND WHITE-SKINNED PEOPLE, you and your families have all benefitted at some point in history from the racism and discrimination directed towards blacks, period. Even if your family did not own slaves, you and your family benefitted from the racism and discrimination directed towards blacks. Even if your family came to this country only 100 years ago, you and your family benefitted from the racism and discrimination directed towards blacks. So, all of you who want to use those claims to dismiss what has happened to blacks in this country, and then tell blacks to stop blaming whites for their current state, need to stop.

The truth is your ancestors, whether they were English, Italian, Jewish, Polish, German, Irish, Arab, or Spanish/Cuban, could change their names and learn English and they could fit in and take part in this American society with relative freedom quicker than any carmel-colored, chocolate-colored, or black-colored African American ever could. A Frank Sinatra(Italian), Steven Spielberg(Jewish), Peter Kowalski(Polish), Arnold Schwartzenegger(German/Austria n), Conan O'Brien(Irish), Danny Thomas(Lebanese), or Fiedel Castro(Cuban) could go into a hotel back in the day and tell the clerk his name was John Smith and he could get a room. A black man named John Smith couldn't get a room because of his skin color. That was the reality.

I point this out not for the sake of laying blame but to get some of you whites to understand that the problems with Black Detroit, or Black America for that matter are complex and can't be excused away with a simple response like, "Pull up your boot straps black people and get over it. We need whites empathy, not your dismissiveness.

A second point that I want to discuss concerns the attitudes of whites on this forum towards AccraGhana. AG made some outstanding points, and I want to applaud you, AG, on the level of thought that you brought to this topic. I agree with most of the things that you said. I do think that you stayed too long because I could see that some folks weren't going to appreciate any additional analysis on your part. With that being said, what bothers me about some of you whites on this forum is that you wanted AG to give you solutions to the problems facing blacks in Detroit and he chose not to offer any. Then, all of a sudden AG became the bad guy.

I will agree with AG that some of the solutions that could be offered to help blacks would probably be denounced by whites because whites would see those solutions as some form of reverse discrimination, much like how a lot of whites are against affirmative action programs.
For example, one solution that I have for improving Detroit and its majority black citizenry would be to lower the state sales tax just for the city of Detroit. This would benefit many of the poor, mostly black, citizens in the city. It would encourage more businesses to open in the city and encourage more citizens to shop in the city instead of shopping in the suburbs.

However, the first thing you would hear from suburbanites(mostly whites) is that this is unfair to them, despite the fact that they have all the malls and movie theaters and other businesses that won't even come into Detroit. Therefore, it would never happen because the white majority would not tolerate it.

My third point deals with affirmative action. Regarding affirmative action, many whites think that it should be eliminated because it supposedly discriminates against whites. Well, let me offer this thought. Someone mentioned that 70% of the U.S population is white. Now, if you had 10 students applying to attend the University of Michigan it could be assumed that seven out of 10 of those applicants are white. Now, using affirmative action the university has determined that because of past practices(where 8 of the 10 applicants were white men and one was a white woman and another was a student of color) they are going to bring in more blacks and other minorities. So, instead of accepting seven whites out of ten, the university might decide to accept only six whites out of ten. Now, that seventh white applicant might have a perfect score on his/her SAT but not be accepted because U of M chose to accept a black student to add diversity to the school, eventhough the black student's SAT score was 50 points less than the white student that didn't get in. So the white student finds out and sues U of M.

The picture that is then painted is that the black student is unqualified because their test scores were lower. What is not understood by whites who are against affirmative action in this example is that the black student is in the top of their class at their school. They simply scored 50 points less than the white student on the SAT, but whites make it sound like the black student was an average student. This is the fallacy.

Finally, most black Detroiters, including myself and my family, work hard everyday. However, many of us don't get the opportunities to be truly rich and successful as our white counterparts. Many paths to success are closed to blacks because whites have the money and the power. For example, a qualified black doesn't get a position in a company because the white boss of that company is giving it to his less qualified nephew. Also, suburbanites(mostly whites) like to complain about why the black city administration doesn't do any thing about the abandoned buildings downtown and in other parts of the city, yet most of these abandoned buildings are owned by whites. So, there you have it. No blame just truth.

(Message edited by royce on July 20, 2007)

Revaldullton

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor,

"I WILL NOT BE PAWED AT THANK YOU"

now go to sleep , you and your "friend"

the good rev