Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Thank You to Detroit's "Elder Statesmen" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's thank certain members of our forum for giving us insight into Detroit's past with their great posts and wisdom.

The first folks who come to mind that I give prop's to are Jjaba and Ray1936.

Who do you pay homage to?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. also props to Lowell for making this whole site possible!!!

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a great bow down to Jjaba and Ray1936, don't forget MikeM. Salute!!

Stromberg2

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought you were talking about Conyers or Dingell!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock certainly must be on this list

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6322
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think MikeM would be offended to be on the list.

He's not old like jjaba.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom

His recent posts have been awesome.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just right now, Bulletmagnet and Ookpik have captured my imagination. The photos, old and new, really bring back the memories.

Thanks for the kind words, all, although today I feel a little bummed out, being the 40th anniversary of you know what. Depresses me to think about it.

That said, gosh, everyone contributes a little.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem....I envy his map collection and realize the extensive work mine needs.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Ookpik's photos and MikeM's maps. I also like the new people who appear with some off the wall Detroit question and have it immediately answered, and then leave in shock.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also Jjaba's insight as to which side of the city is superior. :-)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insight? Ha! Anyway, jjaba is older than the moon and now his computer is on the blink. Not sure we will hear from him or not.
I think Ray36 and I may have arrived on earth in the same year, whereas jjaba greeted Cadillac when he came ashore.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"whereas jjaba greeted Cadillac when he came ashore."

And Jjaba was shouting at the canoes...."Read all about it...Cadillac is landing....getch'er Detroit Times here....Extra...."

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5470
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn straight. jjaba sold Bulldogs off the back door of Sears Oakman/Grand River, plus had a route of 60 very satisfied Detroit Times customers.

Sears was a famous dept. store and their Oakman/Grand River store was a 1940s classic with tower. Go see the vacant ground there. The Beverly Movie House was across the street, now a church.

Antoine dela mothe Cadillac played canasta on jjaba's Northlawn Ave. back porch. jjaba suggested to Henry Leland that he should invent a Cadillac car and Antoine's kids got $5 royalty for every car made. Antoine was really into fins in the '50s.

As for age, nobody on The Forum can trump Antoine.
He signs" The Rock."

jjaba, Merci.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadillac wouldn't play Canasta. He called it "Panier" because Antoine no habla.

Cadillac never shopped at Sears. He was strictly a Federal's man

Cadillac knew Beverly. Real cutie, he said she was.

Cadillac told Henry Leland to forget cars and take the Dexter bus.

Cadillac really wasn't hip. He was kinda Cadillac Square.

(Heat must be getting to me....)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4461
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Ray

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4947
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Cadillac was sailing up the river on that hot July 24, 1701 day, he made one loop up the straits and came back around to land after Jjaba said... "see I told you that we should land farther west..."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.