Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Buyer saves ex-WSU building from wrecking ball « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0723/SUB/707210306/-1/toc

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this Shapiro Hall?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, yes it is.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes.

the article is incorrect: he did not redevelop the lafayette lofts or the iron street lofts. he bought them both already redeveloped. however he did finish renovations at the iron street lofts to such a quality that he was subject to several lawsuits.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the old pharmacy school across from Lafayette Park neighborhood and just east of I 375. Not architecturally significant as far as I know, although it was part of or just after the original Lafayette Park redevelopment in the 50's. Not very attractive either, and I'm being charitable. But it will be great if they can pull off the redevelopment as described in Crain's. It's a very large building.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True it is an ugly building. I will be so happy for something to happen with it as it currently looks well....abandoned ! The grass is high and the property looks neglected.
We need more options on this side of 375 ! Im sure the LP community can support any type of business in that spot.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, the Crain's article mentioned Niki's Pizza, Coach's Corner and Loco Bar & Grill but did not list Bouzouki or Bouzouki II.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“This is a really unique building,” he said.

Yeah, uniquely ugly.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/104657.html?1184072095

So it's been officially confirmed that no one knows what will happen with this place yet. At least somebody bought it.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the guy is a douche bag and i'm moving out of his shithole building

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

douche bag who owns a good strip club.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not that good there are so many that are better

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He owns the Milwaukee lofts too we had a blog on him a few months back... does not seem to be well liked in the area.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The intentions are good but Dennis is f**king dreaming here. Who will want to move into the building, and what restaurant will want that first floor space? It is in a neglected spot outside of downtown, and is surrounded by a parking lot. You just gotta tear it down and build some mid-rise housing that complements the streetscape better.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5837
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? It sounds like some are basing their opinions on the fact that they simply don't like the building. If the residential is done well, most people couldn't care less what the outside of the structure looks like. I happen to be one of the few, it seems, that think the Early Modern-styled building isn't ugly, rather it simply reflects the time period in which it was built. It would be different if even by that eras standards it was a very poor design, but I don't see what's so wrong with it.

I mean, the thing is wedged excellently between downtown and Lafayette Park giving you full walking access to both neighborhoods and surrounding amenities. I think some are placing too much emphasis on the look of the thing. It can't possibly be that much different than the aluminium-faced Lafayette Towers just a block or two to the east.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3335
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he can pull it off, fine. Something about crappy landlord + aging midcentury building with niche appeal sounds questionable, though.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow; some people on here have a serious lack of imagination. renovation doesn't always mean restoration. [but i'm not arguing on the crappy landlord part; i completely agree with that.]

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He owns the majorly NOT restored Western YMCA Building that is rotting and vandalized. It was once a "unique" building, too, with a Pewabic pool. It was built by Edsel Ford I. Sad when this guy gets involved.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I was on Clark last night ironically, and noticed that it has been severely vandalized. I was unaware Kefallinos owned it. Very sad indeed.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6263
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dennis Kefallinos,

That Slumlord!!! What's he going to do with that building? Turn it into a CRACK HEAD MOTEL!

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have a photo of the building?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.