Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Spice Company « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a walk down to Western Market in Ferndale the other day to grab a tasty steak for dinner, and came accross these fun spice rubs I had never seen before. They are made by the Detroit Spice Company, which is on Russell Street in Detroit. They have fun flavors like "Greektown" and "Mexicantown". I bought the Steak Seasoning, and it was delicious! Plus the metal containers are so cool and well designed, I'm inclined to collect em' all!

http://www.detroitspiceco.com

(hint: each tin is $5 on the website, but I got them for 3.99 at Western Market")

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice call JL. These will make nice gifts

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The steak seasoning is insanely delicious. We use it exclusively with our Costco steaks.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of Detroit Spice Co. is multitalented.

He ran the TasteFest for several years. He also wrote a book about the New Center area that was published a few years ago.

The spices are good, too.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, This is going to be a perfect gift.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, JohnC.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT products!

I gave a gift basket of spices to the groomsmen that stood up in my wedding. Much better than some engraved flask...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy local.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Mr. Fogelman would be the man of interest.
I hear he's a swell guy.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randall Fogelman, 32
Owner
Detroit Spice Co. L.L.C., Detroit

Civic and corporate involvement: Director of marketing and Comerica TasteFest, New Center Council Inc.; director, Pure Detroit Art; social chairman, Young Adult Division of the Jewish Foundation of Metro Detroit; president, Canfield Loft Association; member, Art and Architecture Committee.

Fogelman took time out from his other business interests over the past year to launch Pure Detroit Art, a rotating gallery that focuses on Detroit art, located in the Pure Detroit store in the Fisher Building. Fogelman is heavily engaged in volunteering and getting his peers to do the same.

From Crain's Detroit.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mexicantown is perfect for fajitas. Just add some lime juice, oil, and tequila (and red wine vinegar with steak) and you're in for some fantastic fajitas.

I love the Greektown, too. I marinate chicken in it with lemon juice and olive oil and then grill/broil the chicken to serve in pitas with tzatziki.

Their Steak, Jerk, and BBQ blends are great too, as are their hot sauces, especially the habanero. I stock up on everything at Rafal or Pure Detroit whenever I'm back home.

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randall is a great guy who really cares about the city. I grew up with him and he is one of those people who does things out of passion.

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jerk and Steak are staples in our kitchen. Has anyone tried Costco's two rubs yet? They are good too. They have a mesquite rub that is a bit sweet and a steak rub which we just bought and havent tried yet.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Montreal Steak Seasoning at Costco is excellent. Combined with some filets from Antonios (16/Dequindre +/- a mile) = heaven.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Antonios is at 17 Mile and Ryan. And they are some great filets.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, for some reason I'm always off a bit on their location. We usually buy the whole loin and have it cut into steaks. A bit cheaper per pound that way.

Costco has a lot of nice food but I've never liked their steaks much. The tri-tip was OK though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.