Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Wayne County to buy Guardian Building for $14.5 million » Archive through July 18, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the deal with this?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070717/NEW S02/70717039

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4859
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting... the company that recently (last 2 years) purchased the Guardian Building had grand plans that included building a parking structure on the Woodward site of that block (where that now empty 3 story glass building still stands). Then plans for the parking structure were put on hold, and now they're selling the building.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps this is some posturing to get their leasing costs lowered at the Wayne Co. building.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^that's kind of what I thought.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, you mean to tell me the Wayne County Building is worth more tha the Guardian Building? If not, why can't the county buy the W.C.B. ? <313>

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That seems pretty cheap...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does seem really cheap. $14.5 Million for the Guardian? It's like an entire city block.

(Message edited by johnlodge on July 17, 2007)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it does seem cheap, but if the county buys it, kiss it goodbye as a showplace

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gawd, I hope not. I'm not very impressed with the state's maintenance of the GM building either, though I appreciate they kept it from going empty.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4860
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the state was renting it from a company that was literally given it by GM and then remodeled it to lease to the state?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this would be pretty bad news. Not only does it increase the likelihood that they will vacate the County Building, but it also means that maintenance will not be a high priority. It would be sad to see the building weather the bad times of Detroit for so many years, but then have the government allow it to fall into disrepair.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$14.5 million doesn't seem low to me...the Stott building went for what, $3-4 million not that long ago? This is a nicer building, but it's also 4x that amount...

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, hopefully the money they end up saving, will go back into the building.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article says they are purchasing other downtown property also, with a total value of $30 million. Perhaps they will buy the Wayne County Building. This should be interesting.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kindof off subject, but how much was it bought for two years ago?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think its off subject at all Dean, I would be interested in hearing what it was bought for prior too.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9588
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't Wayne County concentrate on delivering services as opposed to investing in buildings?

I just don't see why a county with a high tax rate and a myriad of issues wants to own anything. Negotiate better lease rates, scale back required space but they should not be buying the building.

Of course I am usually skeptical of Ficano's grand plans.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$14 million is low. I am not happy about this. It was beautifully renovated, well occupied, and now I worry about it in the long run because the county will not keep the standards high. I'm assuming that the county can't fill the whole thing, and will become a landlord renting out remaining space.

It's really strange that they will announce the purchase, with the county offices actually moving only being "possible" according to the Freep. WTF?!?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all of you saying that $14 million is low, what are you basing that on?

Have similar buildings in Detroit gone for a lot more than that recently, because the only one I know of is the Stott and that went for a fraction of what Wayne County just paid for the Guardian

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stott is in much worse shape and has a much smaller footprint than the Guardian (which is half of a city block). $14 million does seem low for one of Detroit's top 10 architectural treasures, though.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Guardian is a more desirable building but the Guardian went for 4 times what the Stott went for...

You can say $14 million "seems" low but that's meaningless unless you're basing that on something...th

Either way, $14 million is apparently what it's worth if that was the sale price...

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that it was purchased by the Sterling Group (as politically wired as anyone could be) for less than $3 million. SG invested a lot of money in renovations and did increase the occupancy. However, it is my guess that it has been a big money loser, and this is a very smart bail-out for the owner and not a bad deal for the County if it is able to occupy all the remaining space.

What are the other terms? Does Sterling Group stay on as the manager, for a typical fee?

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on July 17, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't (or don't want to) imagine the county trying to manage it.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I have said before, I wish Wayne Co. and the City of Detroit would sell the CAY, buy the MCS, remodel it, and consolidate all their offices in it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2671
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A person with knowledge of the deal said Ficano would announce other downtown property purchases as well, with the deals totaling more than $30 million.

I guess there's more to come after this story.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the current owner was losing money, this would make much more sense (though still not necessarily be a good thing).

Still, one would have rather seen the city fill vacant space rather than purchase space that is relatively well used.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Crain's, Wayne Co. is also buying the Detroit Savings and Loan Bank Building (at Woodward and Congress ) and a parking structure on First Street.

www.crainsdetroit.com

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not buy the Stott for $3.2 million?

Fordaspiregv
Username: Fordaspiregv

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not surprised. The old WCB is hard to work in. Room temperatures are way off (cold in one room, hot in another), technology requirements are hard to implement due to restrictions and many offices are "thrown together" with fake walls.

Maybe they will vacate 415 Clifford and move offices out of the Monroe to fill the rest of the space. WC has too many buildings, so keeping everything in one place could save some money.

While I don't appreciate my tax money going to real estate, I can see why they needed a better space. I would think that the old State/Federal Buildings would have been a more sensible choice.

(Message edited by fordaspiregv on July 18, 2007)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much will the city lose when this building becomes government owned and non-taxable? Anyone know?