Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Any photos/Stories? Service Drive at 8 Mile off North Bound I-75 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive this way home pretty often, getting off North bound I-75 at the 8 Mile exit. There are so many very large homes there, most of them boarded up or near slum status. I just have to wonder what that all looked like before the expressway was widened and took away a row of homes there. It's so sad to see it. I live in Hazel Park and over the past six years that little stretch on the service drive is only getting worse and worse with time.

Any photos? Stories?

~Liza

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember tons of street prostitutes in the early nineties. I drove through that neighborhood in the early eighties and noticed some whites still lived in the area. The men and women with the signs have been there forever. I believe there were many southern whites-a German enclave on 7 mile southeast of that area.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the "homeless" sign people? I've only given money once, to a very old black gentleman who truly looked down and out.

It's just that you know those homes were truly beautiful at one time - the decay of this city just breaks my heart sometimes.

~Liza

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm....you mean south of 8 and east of Chrysler? I didn't think those homes were all that big. 2 story bungalows with big porches right? You get a block or two east and the homes start looking more like the one story ranches that predominate our Hazel park.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are a far sight bigger than the little 900 square foot bungalow I grew up in Oak Park during the 70's!! :-)

~Liza

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9611
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way to see that one of the homes is returned to its glory is to buy one, fix it up and live there.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not until I wouldn't live in fear of break in, theft, and assault. Sorry - I'm no martyr.

~Liza

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps these are early sears homes:

http://www.searsarchives.com/h omes/1915-1920.htm

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1908-1914.htm

(Message edited by cambrian on July 23, 2007)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both sides of Chrysler in that area are heavy in drug activity.
I also thought it was odd that so far into the outskirts,a neighborhood would be that devastated.Multiple people told me they think that the city is just holding on to the land to redevelop it in the future.
Its actually even worse to the west of John R. The area from John R to Woodward along State Fair is literally a ghost town. If you go a few blocks east of 75 it at least improves and after Dequindre its much better.
I just think its almost eerie that theres such severe blight all the way to 8 mile, and as soon as you get 2 blocks into HP theres a bunch of new houses up and down the streets, selling for close to $200k.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liza, Ive seen your past posts and apparently we cross the same paths. I as well work at the rencen and commute from Hazel Park. So I know much of what your talking about...
The street off to your East when heading north is Cameron. It starts and stops at various places, starting at or near Clay. Its trashed. Hawthorne is the next street over and i believe has more burned or stripped houses than occuppied ones. I took the long way home once out of curiosity and drove through there. I believe I was on Orleans, and the occupancy rate was much higher and there were some surprisingly interesting houses.Once you get to about Russell or Riopelle it gets more intact.
Likewise, if thats your thing, have you really looked at some of Hazel Parks houses? From about Meyers to Harry, between John R and the service drive, theres a few that are pretty cool. Granted, most need some work, but theyre similar to some of those south of 8. Also look around the dead end streets just south of 9 behind Rite Aid.Much of the housing in these areas resemble the houses near I-75 and 7/8 Mile.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.