Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cities voting to impeach Bush/Cheney « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't find the thread about this, but a few months ago there was quite a long one about Detroit City Council voting to impeach Bush/Cheney.

The general sense was that we all thought it was a waste of time.

Well, we're not the only ones:

West Hollywood joins call for impeachment
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif., July 22 (UPI) -- A nationwide call for the impeachment of U.S. President George Bush was bolstered last week when officials in West Hollywood, Calif., joined the fray.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/T op_News/2007/07/22/west_hollyw ood_joins_call_for_impeachment /4685/

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess other cities don't have local problems to solve either.
Citizens should reserve a big kick in the keister for the local officials who waste tax payers time and money on something they have have no control over.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A number of cities, especially in New Hampshire, had passed such resolutions before Detroit did. Many other cities have them under consideration. Do they matter? Yes, they do. With sufficient support states can request Presidential impeachment.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think this is a waste of time at all. Local governments are voicing their opinions. Since when in our democracy is this no longer valid? And... ultimately, we do have control over our situation. I am very proud of the Detroit City Council for taking a stand.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you, Jjw. Vox populi, y'all.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you Karl? Blocking ears ... must not hear bad news ... just hoping for a terrorist attack so we can declare martial law and ... Bush then, Bush now, Bush forever!

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And y'all know where I stand on this. Quinn, keep looking for the thread or ask Lowell to help you. We've already hit this topic ad nauseum.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11640
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we impeach that worthless governor of ours in Lansing first?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not start with a certain Mayor?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5455
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to start with the ones causing the MOST trouble for our country AND our people, not just those we don't "like" for whatever reason.

One question: Where do I sign up???

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QQn Vette...

yanno?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a waste of time because an impeachment is a specific legal process that is similar to a trial in many respects. BOTH SIDES are allowed to bring witness and cross examine those on the other side.

The Detroit City Council has no authority in the matter and did not follow this process. Tolerating garbage like this opens up a can of worms. We will have these useless stunts being done all over the country wasting taxpayer dollars and time.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the administration and its allies HOPE they're useless...

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the DCC is in any position to be pointing out the shortcomings of anyone, they have their own incompetence to worry about.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two wars based on bad intel? And 650,000 dead? Oh, hey, nobody's perfect.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a diversionary tactic. Every politician does it.

It plays well in an anti-Bush city like Detroit.
We can't get your streetlight to work or pick up the trash dumped in the vacant lot down the street, but we're bashing the president you hate so much. Basically it's food for suckers/idiots.

A comparable issue on the right would be the proposed anti-flag burning amendment years ago.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What shall we impeach Granholm and Kirkpatrick for? I know what the issues are with Bush and Cheney. What impeachable offense did the others commit?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what diversionary tactics are? Ad Hominem attacks that sidestep the issue. Criticize the critic. Point out the critic's shortcomings. Keep pointing. Keep dismissing. Forget that a majority of Americans agree. Keep on repeating it. Keep it up.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know Ferndale tried to impeach the President and Vice President of the United States of America too. And guess what? It didn't work! Detroit (and Ferndale) could save a lot of time and tax payers money if they just took a look around to see if any one else who took a stab at impeachment had success. But I guess it is the symbolism, not the substance that is important to them. This is another example of why this city is so f-ed up, as crime in the street is bringing us down, they are wasting resources with this worthless crap. I suppose they all went home after the vote and felt just so full of themselves, real proud for doing what they do best: Nothing.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "It's a diversionary tactic. Every politician does it.

It plays well in an anti-Bush city like Detroit."

A city of higher educated people can see through this snipe and his band of thieves. His pardon of Libby without explanation is a good example of the thugs that are in charge. "You lied for me? I'll take care of it" The brazen simpleton doesn't even try to conceal it. Hmm, ya think he maybe didn't want to piss off Libby? Maybe Libby knows more and didn't want him striking up a book deal from his jail cell?

Trying to understand the ardent supporter, what would this person have to do to raise suspicion? Are there this many people that blind?

What is he going to do next? Thats what I always wonder. They are now in a position of virtually impossible getting re-elected, and lost control of the house. Nothing would surprise me now.

Next election, avoid either party, vote independent.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not like the votes should take a lot of time. After recounting last meetings minutes just say, who wants to impeach Bush and his cronies? Everyone raises their hand, vote over:-)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bush says NO to federal funding for SMART and DDOT.

But, I'm sure some of you DY'ers will still vote Republican.

It's a free county and the Republican Party stands for NO federal transit funding for public bus service as a whole, unless the poor pay more in regressive tax increases.

Bush even admitted this on television when he said, it is the states that should pay for social programs because the federal government must make more bombs and not pay more or the same for social programs for the poor, low income or the minorities.

Bush is rich and knows nothing about making minimum wage but he does not have to, because some of you DY'ers and others keep putting him and others just like him into top government positions.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice, it's not like the votes should take a lot of time. After recounting last meetings minutes just say, who wants to "fill in any of your favorite causes here". It's stupid. They are not brave or imaginative; just a bunch of air heads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.