Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Consider Dinner Out Tuesday Night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As seen in the Free Press ...

Dine out Tuesday for Detroit history

It was 306 years ago on July 24, 1701, that Detroit was founded at Ft. Pontchartrain by Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac.

To celebrate, make plans to have dinner Tuesday night at one of the 50-plus restaurants participating in Dine Out for Detroit History, to benefit the Detroit Historical Society.

Venues including Hard Rock Café, Mexican Village, Tribute, the Hill Seafood & Chop House and Seldom Blues will donate up to 20% of that night's receipts.

Details at www.detroithistorical.org

Sylvia Rector

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 466
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump - this is a really interesting idea, i hope it works out well for them!

as a side note (or question, really) anyone know what time avalon bakery closes? i had always thought they closed at or before 5 during the week, but someone told me recently they close at 7...?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is 6:00pm during the week.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks kid :-)

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there is a lot going on tonight in the city (even with the Tigers in Chicago), but you've got to eat.

I want to be up front that I work for the Detroit Historical Society and have been part of the promotional effort for this event. We've put a lot of money into this and asked a lot of favors from a lot of good people in the city. Frankly, I'm a little nervous for two reasons: 1) If this thing goes down like a stale biscuit my boss is going to ask me a lot of uncomfortable questions, and 2) We have got to get better at raising public support for local history.

The Detroit Historical Society manages a collection of over 200,000 historic artifacts, many of which are in danger of being lost if we don't get the resources we need to build and maintain better storage facilities. Further, we participate in the education of over 20,000 school kids a year from both the city and the suburbs. These are the people who are going to learn from our past to imagine the possibilities for metro Detroit's future. We need to improve the content and delivery of the educational experience for those kids.

So before you run off to the TRU meeting or go watch Brian Williams broadcast the NBC Nightly News from downtown, grab a bite to eat at one of Detroit's fine restaurants. Up to 20% of your tab supports the Detroit Historical Society. For a list of participating restaurants, go to www.detroithistorical.org.

Here's to Detroit's past, present, and future!

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to lunch at eph McNally's and dinner at Mexican Village. I can literally hear my arteries clogging!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.