Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The movie "Hairspray" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although this is not a movie set in Detroit, I was reminded of your great city all the way through (and I think I heard Detroit mentioned, in regards to the Motown sound). At any rate, what a joyous movie that would be impossible to dislike, imho. I'm wondering if Detroit had an equivalent of "The Corny Collins Show"?

Hope everything is going great in my adopted city....

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, we only got The Scene.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legsdiamond? The old Detroit area band?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had Rockin' Robin Seymour and "Swingin' Time"!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had Detroit Bandstand with Dale Young.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Shindig? Whose show was that?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hootenanny (US TV series) ... can't say I was a fan of it though.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shindig was a nationally broadcast show. I thought it aired for a longer period than a little over a year, but I guess things always seem to last longer when you're young.

http://www.tv.com/shindig/show /2198/summary.html?q=&tag=sear ch_results;more;1

My question about Hairspray, not having read much about the new film, is why it was re-made in the first place. The original was a hoot in it's own right, especially considering that it was made by the King of Wierd - John Waters. But it'll be interesting to see how John Travolta can do in reprising Divine's role
:-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My question about Hairspray, not having read much about the new film, is why it was re-made in the first place

I believe the new movie is based on the stage version.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct! John Waters' movie was the basis for Hairspray: The Musical, which was quite successful as a Broadway production and travelling show. The new movie is based on the musical stage version.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Divine is rolling is his/her grave. Even Harvey Fierstein was better on Broadway. Travolta looked like an alien and deterred from me enjoying the movie. I think they gave him too much weight because he looked freaky. The movie was entertaining, but if you've seen the first one, pass on this one.

I only remember The Scene as being our local Bandstand. Thinking back though, when you think of the premise, how lame is it to watch a bunch of people dancing to hits. OK, so it was cool when I was younger, but thinking back now, LAME! And Dick Clark should have been beaten with a mic stand for having his performers lip synch. LAMER!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swinging Time was really the coolest show ever on Detroit/Windsor television.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6261
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hairspray will a box office FLOP by the first week of August. Chuck and Larry kick it out Harry Potter made it disapear and the Simpson's Movie took it someplace else.
It would be nominated for the razzies by next year.
That movie is P.U.!!!!!!

Danny

Post Number: 6262
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hairspray would better off on Broadway rather then on the movie screen.

I give it two thumbs down.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
Have you seen the film? Sounds like you have some issues with it.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philly and Detroit are very analagous cities.

Danny

Post Number: 6264
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick

I saw the previews and it didn't top the #1 spot because of that homosexual movie and Harry Potter. Hairspray is flop to failure movie and its going down in the weekend when the Simpson's Movie comes out.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't underestimate the taste of the American public.

Danny

Post Number: 6270
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Movie Hairspray should have been released later date instead of in the middle of the Hot blockbuster movie films like Transformers, Harry Potter Chuck and Larry and the Simpson's Movie. Now it's P.U. in the box office and soon it would flop and the most movie theatres will take it off and send it to the 1 dollar movies in no time.

Here's how it goes:

#1. Chuck and Larry, 35 Million dollars

#2. Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix 32 Millions dollars

#3. Hairspray 14 Million dollars

By July of 27th:

#1.The Simpson's Movie over 300 million dollars

#2.Chuck and Larry 25 million dollars

#3.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 21 million dollars

#4. Hairspray about 19 million dollars

When the Bourne Ultimatum comes out in August, the Movie Hairspray will be a instant flop.

Danny

Post Number: 6271
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick,

By looking at the cultural texts and semiotics of the film. I see that Hairspray's characters and scenes has too much pre-suburban color in a urban city atmosphere. Not enough Hippie influence, feminism and civil right revolution. Tracy Turnblatt's obesed figure didn't reflect or recieve appeal to the hip cool skinny white kids in this generation nor did the hip cool skinny white kids ever see the Broadway play. Kids in this generation didn't want to see the 60s as a 2007 version, they want to see the 60s American era is they want to see though the classic films as real and appealing. They don't a see a movie that has fake American Bandstand with a blond guy that looks like Dick Clark and sounds like him.

Plus the movie was released in bad time. July of 2007 is Summer blockbuster month. Folks who read the book about famous heroes, dream about it and told their friends about want to see the movie this based about these characters. Transformers, Harry Potter and Chuck and Larry, The Homosexual couples and the Simpson's are those characters which the people in this generation was to see because of their influences, action, magical and comedy beats. Hairspray is just a cult classic meant to influence the baby boomers not for the silent generation filled with hip cool skinny white kids.

Hairspray didn't even close to number one and never will be. It's going to flop by early August and the promotors are very upset that the movie didn't enough appeal to the silent generation. Only these hip cool skinny white interested is action packed, magical, comedy beats and making fun at homesexuals as a joke.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 726
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed.

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw Hairspray and LOOOOOVED it!

It was not what I expected. Integration is the main theme in this flick composing of flare, song, and dance!!! (k, I liked it) LOL

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sophisticated enough to generally critique movies based on their social relevance, but I am smart enough to know that taking my 12 year old daughter to the 4 pm showing this afternoon was the best thing I've done in a while. I loved it. So did my daughter, who's an excellent dancer by the way. It was a great father daughter excursion. I drag her to a enough hockey games so this was the least I could do. Lots of up music and dancing.....I still remember Robin Seymour and Ed MacKenzie's Dance Party in Detroit.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think someone is bucking for Ebert's chair...

Danny

Post Number: 6273
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people may love it but others didn't. Sorry Hairspray, didn't make it to number one.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

---"Philly and Detroit are very analagous cities."

analogous. Although it was entirely shot in Toronto, the setting for the film, "Hairspray" takes place in Baltimore; not Philadelphia. The first version was shot entirely in Baltimore.

Andrew69
Username: Andrew69

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, Hairspray made almost $28 million last weekend. As of yesterday, it has made $40 million in the U.S.

Danny

Post Number: 6277
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not enough to make it to #1 that 40 Million dollars have to be paid off to fees fees and more fees. It's going to FLOP in no time.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved it. Totally great.

I don't care for John Travolta and I really liked his character. She was wierd looking, but I saw the first Hairspray and thought the deal was to have her/him wierd, i.e.Divine. I thought Mr. and Mrs. Turnblad were the sweetest couple.

Christopher Walken was too cool.

There were about 50 people at the 1:30pm show in our little city 12,000. A good turnout for our theater.

People actually applauded for the film when it was over. (And I don't mean they were glad it was over, ha ha ha.)

I wish everyone would go see Hairspray. It is a sweet little gem.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's take Danny. I'll buy the popcorn.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think someone is bucking for Ebert's chair...

LOL

Ed_golick

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
Here are the box office receipts for this weekend.
1 The Simpsons Movie - $71,850,000
2 I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry - $19,063,000
3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - $17,065,000
4 Hairspray - $15,550,000
5 No Reservations - $11,755,000
6 Transformers $11,524,000
7 Ratatouille - $7,234,000
8 Live Free or Die Hard - $5,350,000
9 I Know Who Killed Me - $3,400,000
10 Who’s Your Caddy? - $2,900,000

The Simpsons are far from the 300 mil that you predicted. Hairspray is #4, and did better than the Transformers. Far from a "FLOP," I would say.

Danny

Post Number: 6293
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick

At least Hairspray is went down a bit it's going to FLOP by August. The Movie Underdog may get close as number 4 but it would NOT beat the Simpsons.

After the weekend box office for August 5th It would be The Borne Ultimatum vs. the Simpson's Movie for number one. Follow by Chuck and Larry, Underdog vs. Harry Potter for number 3. Looks like Hairspray is going to FLOP if it can't beat No Reservations.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.