Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Michigan Ave « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Michigan Avenue from the Boulevard to downtown the roughest road into the city? This may have been asked before but I wonder why they paved over the bricks. The bricks for the most part remain fairly smooth, but that broken up asphalt on top is like a washboard. I find myself thinking about those poor souls that layed the brick. Ouch!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a bad stretch of road, but you're right, Tiberius. It seems the asphalt (covering the old DSR tracks) is the culprit, not the brick.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wtf are you talking about? It's not even bad from the blvd to 12th.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, true, Buddy. Only a few blocks are brick.

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well true, it gets better going west from Rosa Parks, but is especially bad from there east. I didn't realize that there weren't any bricks west of 12th, I assumed they were buried under the asphalt.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're talking main roads, that's probably true. I think that Franklin through the warehouse district and West Jefferson are contenders for secondary roads with problems, too.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tib: They prolly are, except, of course, for the Lodge overpass. There's some gnarly resurfacing work this week on Jos. Campau north of Caniff right now, exposing some old Baker Street Car rail.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the worst streach I regularly drive is Ford Rd in E Dearborn, I'm so happy its getting reconstructed.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: Ford Road: Aw, hell, they'll just run more 50-ton trucks over it and it'll be much the same in five winters.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to sound too positive (:-)), but when I was downtown the other day, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the roads were-I-75, E. Jefferson, Warren, Woodward. There are some rough, rough roads in Detroit, but the worst roads I regularly drive are in Pontiac (many of which are being fixed at this very moment.)

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think of it, one of the worst stretches of a major road that I can think of is 11 Mile from Coolidge to Woodward. I'm pretty sure it's being reconstructed, but I haven't been through there in several months.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.